Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To all the people "down south"

Frosty 23 here in NH this morning 41 at 12:30 pm
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

29 here this morning. It’s been snowing all morning. 2nd snowfall this fall. Not much accumulation so far, just over an inch with this one so far.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Haven't checked any of the thermometers, but there is still ice on the collected water outside.

The shop's hi-lo recording thermometer indicated a reading in the low thirties yesterday so all the water stones were taken out of their tub to dry off till spring.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    ...but you have Lie-Nielsen right there in your back yard. Seriously- I'd be broke.
    I'm in Minnesota, Maine is roughly 1,500 miles away by car. We do have lots of Nielsens (and Nelsons and Olsons and Larsons and Andersons); I don't think they make planes and chisels though.

It is up to almost 20 now.
    Last edited by Andrew Seemann; 11-12-2018 at 3:08 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    I'm in Minnesota, Maine is roughly 1,500 miles away by car. We do have lots of Nielsens (and Nelsons and Olsons and Larsons and Andersons); I don't think they make planes and chisels though.

It is up to almost 20 now.
    whoops. MN, ME... my bad.

Exclamation Woodworking in Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    Thanks for the update from Brazil, Osvaldo. What's the woodworking scene like down there ? What woods do you use ?
    The local shop sizes and skills in those shops have a huge variation but most of the amateur woodworking shops are smaller than one car garage, mine is considerable smaller at 104 square foot, but it is usual for most of us to use the backyard or garage as assembly area. Shops are using mostly local manufactured tools as imported tools are usually at 30% to 100% more expensive than the street prices in the USA due to extorsive taxes, smaller sales volume and other importation costs.

Although most local professional workshops has a DC system, I never found a single amateur workshop with one DC system! More sophisticated ones will use an heavy duty VC. Of course, there are not such thing as insolation, heating or air conditioning. I never found any of those!

For years Brazilians were very proud of Invicta, Acerbi, and some others high quality manufacturer of woodworking tools but they were purchased every one by transnational companies (usually from the US) and closed some time later. Although a few local manufacturers survive offering lower quality tools and there are a number of international brands with local manufacturing plants, several of them with big installations: Starrett, Bosch, Makita, DeWalt, Irwin, Twill, Ridgid, Belzer, amongst them. They offer in the local market a number of fully local manufactured stuff, some assembled with imported parts and the higher end, usually imported.

Chinese stuff replaced most of the local lower and mid range manufacturers and certainly represents the lion share of the market volume. Some maintain local brand names but fully manufactured abroad with more accessible prices and with very low quality - at average lower quality than the average stuff from Harbor Freight...

Besides the manufactured "lumber", Brazilians like to use solid wood. Usually at a much better price than the found at the US! Mahogany is very popular (actually my favorite) as well very hard woods like Cabreuva, Jacaranda, Ipe, Angelin, Peroba Rosa, Imbuia (Brazilian Walnut) and the soft Cedro (Cedar) for some applications. Pine (white pine) usually is used as secondary wood but in the last years they started to become more popularly used for low budget furniture. Although Brazil has the biggest worldwide forests of Eucalyptus, it is rarely used for any kind of furniture.

Constructions typically are made of concrete and masonry but ceiling/roof usually is made of ceramic tiles and hard wood (my home is 100% Peroba Rosa) and flooring, internal stairs, doors and windows is appreciated when made of hard wood (Ipe, Imbuia, Angelin). Pine and Eucalyptus are used only for shape, scaffolds and non-permanent stuff, except for very low budget homes.

At average, for higher skilled professions (Doctors, Engineers, Specialized Technicians and mid Executives) the purchase power of a Brazilian amateur woodworker is close to the one from the US at the same job but it can be very lower for most professions, going to a mere one tenth for lower skilled jobs, limiting the market for amateur woodworking.

Well, I think it is a fair overview. Let me know if you want to know more.

All the best!
    Last edited by Osvaldo Cristo; 11-12-2018 at 5:18 PM. Reason: Typo error, as usual...
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

Thank you for the very thoughtful and concise description of woodworking and technology in Brazil. It provides a realistic concept of what's going on on the other side of our hemisphere. I wonder why local machine brands were bought out by foreigners if they did not plan to offer competition to the Chinese knock-offs. Of course I'm jealous of the woods you get to use from domestic stock. Your construction methods are quite different from the US but it's what I've heard. I'd love to visit some day and see for myself.

Exclamation Exactly 28 degrees also here...

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    It was also 28 degrees here. Wait- we are talking Celsius, right? I absolutely love my open-air kitchen. Watching the M/V Arctic swing on her anchor. Look her up- amazing yacht. I'm a blow boat kinda guy but if I were to spend $80 million on a power yacht, that would be the one. (Note: this will NEVER happen).

Attachment 396469

P.S. I really hesitated to post this, but (a) you asked for it, and (b) those that know me know it's not always fun and games here, but this makes it worth it.
    Coincidence: it is 28 degrees now here at home... degrees Celsius, of course!

I think I will have a couple of beers at the backyard today by the end of day...
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

Quote Originally Posted by Osvaldo Cristo View Post
    I think I will have a couple of beers at the backyard today by the end of day...
    I'll get back to you in May, Osvaldo . . .