Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incra I-box

Incra I-box

Just recently purchased the Incra I-box jig. After setting up the jig and cutting the first joint(call it the front board), I then began the second joint ( call this the side board). After completing the second cut, and then checking the "fit" of the two joints, I learned that each successive joint on the second board had moved incrementally. Meaning they continued to move throughout the cut. Making sure the thumb screw on the top of the jig was tight(locks the settings in place)I began cutting another piece of stock. This time checking the adjustment after each cut, the adjustment moved!! What am I doing wrong?? What have I forgotten to do?? Anyone else experience this issue or am I just an idiot and should give up woodworking and take up bridge?

Thanks.

Do you have a dial or digital caliper? You will need to measure the pin and space (notch) widths. They should be the same within a few thousandths of an inch. If not the same, check the width of the fingers in the jig. My guess is that you didn't get the fingers to "just touch" the blade in your jig calibration steps.

Don't give up woodworking. I get as much enjoyment solving little problems like this as I do in making projects. The I-Box jig works very well, once you understand it and get it set up correctly. Attached are a couple of photos of some of my recent box joints in Baltic Birch plywood using my I-Box jig, my Unisaw, and a Freud SBOX8 blade set.

Charley
    Attached Images Attached Images

On a box joint, when they progressively get worse and worse, your setting is usually slightly off. The reason it keeps getting worse is you're compounding the error on each successive cut.

Stupid questions
    Is your box stock all sized correctly for width, square and parrallel sides?
    Did you mark the faces and orient the edges correctly when setting up for the matching cuts on the second board to the first cuts board?
    David

Blog Entries
    As stated your adjustment is off.

These are 12.5" tall drawers with 1/4 pin size. Cut 4 at a time
    20180128_152654.jpg
    20180128_174819.jpg
    20180128_202846.jpg

Mine is dial, thank for the suggestions.

Makes sense, I’ll keep practicing

Thank you, mine were 13.5”

Yes, did all that, thanks

Yes, did all that, thanks, more practice needed.

Begin with a more careful re-calibration.

Charley

I don't have any pictures to show you, but mine worked perfectly right out of the box. Keep trying and pay attention to the settings and the instructions, maybe watch the videos on Youtube; you'll figure it out.

Will do, the you tube videos make it look soooo easy

Should I make the fitting of the pins in the cut tighter?

Dan, as others have said ! The IBox is Great. Pay closer attention to where they tell you about pin touching the blade. I got scrap and set mine up the first time. But I had to play with it, to really understand what they were saying. not directions fault,but my wanting to be in a hurry. Start from set up and start over. You will be pleased that you did. Good Luck