Thread: Joinery/Construction Technique Method

Joinery/Construction Technique Method

I’d like to build a writing table (really, a makeup vanity but she likes the look of kind of basic writing table style desks) and am having trouble finding resources on the construction of the drawer components (framing, runners, etc. that go inside the main table/desk aprons.

I can find all sorts of videos and websites on pocket hole construction, etc. but I’m interested in finding a traditional methods approach. I feel like I’ve looked all over the internet but am not having much luck. Any help on where to look would be appreciated!

The table my wife likes (that I would use as a starting point for my own design with traditional methods) is this:

https://woodworkingformeremortals.com/writing-desk/

Thanks!

Brian, I struggled with the same thing...finding good examples on the web. Here’s a few I found. I figure anything shown with biscuits would be done with M&Ts...

DDA9EAA4-B49E-48B4-9637-E698D5EA97EF.jpg 7D864242-123D-4F76-8572-EC8D5B82B5AA.jpg FEB65BBB-78D0-4FA9-871F-78E38FD6F1CD.jpeg

Hi Brian
    I just happened to be looking atFine Woodworking May/June 1998 for something else. There is an article there by Will Neptune- Engineering a Table with Drawers which is exactly what you are looking for. I have built endtables this way and it is very straightforward
    Good Luck
    Bill Howes

There is also a book by Bill (I think) Hylton on making drawers. You may find a copy in the library or in a used bookstore somewhere.
    I have found it an invalusable resource for my (very amateur) efforts.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Funny, I thought the same thing when I made my first one. FWW is a fantastic resource. Search for "Making a Writing Desk". Christian Becksvoort did an article in 1990 that I am working from right now. Even if you are not a paid subscriber, the image illustrating the frame is free to view.

The big thing you'll need to figure out first is with respect to the drawers. Do you want inset, or false/front/overlay?

I'm just starting an end table and this has been very useful: https://woodandshop.com/tableanatomy/
    If you will have two drawers you will need a center drawer guide though.

There is a book out by Jeffrey Greene titled "American Furniture of the 18th Century: etc " that includes structural build details of older furniture (including drawer components) that can be applied to today's furniture. Amazon has used versions of it that are quite a bit cheaper than new.
    David

Hmmm...BTDT...
    barn wood desk.jpg
    Desk I am sitting at.....
    SDC12302.jpg
    The way is started out...
    SDC12305.jpg
    Drawer fronts fitted, drawer runners installed....
    SDC12392.jpg
    Top with bread board ends installed..
    SDC12393.jpg
    Breadboard details. Top was attached, using a screw through a slotted hole into the top of each leg....hole was then cover with a plug that matched the grain.

Or check out a few of my build threads....like the next kitchen project one....where I use a top and bottom frame for the drawers to ride in...complete with a kicker, to keep a drawer from tipping down when you pull it out a bit far.

If you want to see the internal structure not only of various desks, but most other standard types of furniture, Bill Hylton's "Illustrated Cabinetmaking" is a worthwhile source. It's a reference, not a set of instructions. I don't think it shows a desk that looks like the one you want, but it shows several different desks so you can see how their structures are similar and can adapt them to build it any way you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Eaton View Post
    I’d like to build a writing table (really, a makeup vanity but she likes the look of kind of basic writing table style desks) and am having trouble finding resources on the construction of the drawer components (framing, runners, etc. that go inside the main table/desk aprons.

I can find all sorts of videos and websites on pocket hole construction, etc. but I’m interested in finding a traditional methods approach. I feel like I’ve looked all over the internet but am not having much luck. Any help on where to look would be appreciated!

The table my wife likes (that I would use as a starting point for my own design with traditional methods) is this:

https://woodworkingformeremortals.com/writing-desk/

Thanks!
    Hi Brian

One of the videos I like is this: https://vimeo.com/78118343

(Un Trabajo Feliz) There is stuff to criticise about his technique, but the design is fairly pure, and it is all by hand.

Also, you could pick up a copy of a video by Chris Schwarz, "Shaker Side Table", which should be available via the Pop Wood on-line store.

Plus there are pictorial of build on my website that may help, such as the Lingerie Chest (Starting on the drawer runners). That builds to this ...

There is also a Sofa Table (Secret Drawer). This involves ...

Don't forget to post your progress here, and ask as many questions as you like.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 11-12-2018 at 12:19 AM.

Thanks, all, for the replies! I’ve got loads of reading to do now. It will be a while before I get started on this project. In addition to learning how to do it and coming up with a design that fits the space it needs to go in, I’ll be saving my pennies for walnut - it is expensive! Also, I’ve got a few other projects in the pipeline first - another baton case (being a music teacher I have a bit of a built in market for those things now that I’ve built a few and come up with a design that looks good and works well) and I think, partly for selfish reasons, I’m going to start the tradition of making a pencil box for my daughter’s teachers every year for Christmas.

At her current age she wont really be able to help make it much but she can pick out the fabric liner at the bottom and some things to fill it with. I’ll try to post those projects as I go and, when I’m ready to get started, will certainly post a thread on the desk build. Here are a few photos of the last baton case I made:

9A0A7092-17F1-417F-B02E-5A23EECFBE3D.jpg9051DAE4-27E6-49EF-BF89-4BE67F102A33.jpg

Very nice work on the baton case, Brian!

Blog Entries
    I’ve been building chess boards with drawers, I’ve done a lot to make this work a little easier for small projects.

The setup is a square case, I cut in four dados to locate the drawer runners;

Next I set in the runners along with strips at the top (and bottom not shown). Finally I created thin liners for the drawer sides, these liners are tapered with the thinner side at the back of the runner. This allows space at the back of the drawer and a ramping effect at the front of the case. The front is kept tight clearance and the drawer is made square. The effect is a ‘piston fit’ that does not get tight along the sides during seasonal changes.

Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Hi Brian
    You're on an interesting path. Here are 3 options for drawers that you will need to decide on during your reading.

1. As Prashun mentions, choose inset or overlay fronts. You will probably go with inset which is a little more demanding but the result is nicer.

2. Drawer slides - all wood slides will be nicer except that metal slides can be bought as 'full extension' units that give you better access to the contents of the drawers. Also there are some really cheapo 'center' slides used in a lot of manufactured cabinets.

3. Drawer bottoms - traditional bottoms are made from solid wood. Plywood is a modern material that can be glued in place. This makes a stronger and more rigid drawer.