Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric Bike

Electric Bike

Been reading with interest about electric bicycles.
    Always thought they were just a kinda moped. But see how helpful they can be to assist a rider on hills or longer rides.

My local bike shop has the Pedego brand bikes. $3,200 a little steep for my needs.
    https://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com/...drive-edition/

Anyone have or use an electric bike?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I don't have one but would like one, off road style. I saw them in use in Europe. A friend of mine is following them very closely and often sends me info and videos. What he wants is well over $10,000. Rats, maybe you get what you pay for with e-bikes too.

JKJ

They're all the rage with the Amish in Ohio's Holmes County. I had no idea they were that expensive, given the Amish are very frugal as a rule. I wonder how they get around recharging the batteries since electricity is a no-no to most Amish...maybe with electricity from a gas-powered generator?

I've been commuting by bicycle for a couple of years now when weather and schedule permits.

I've been considering an ebike or a conversion (probably a Geo Orbital Wheel).

There are a couple of options:

- pedal assist --- these seem to match up with European legal requirements
    - throttle --- these are more moped-like

and various power / speed levels, w/ performance (speed/range) scaling as one pays more.

David,
    Electricity, by itself, is not a no-no to most Amish. Tying into the grid is.

I got an emotion mountain bike about 3 years ago. Used it to commute to work so I wouldn't show up all sweaty. Lots of fun. If I had to do it over again I'd buy a mid drive kit from Luna Cycle and convert a bike I liked to an ebike. Much much cheaper and you end up with a bike you can easily swap out parts and upgrade the battery. If my emotion battery goes I'm not sure what I'll do. Get it rebuilt maybe? Its probably no longer made and its a custom fit. Same for the controller and other electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kreuzberg View Post
    They're all the rage with the Amish in Ohio's Holmes County. I had no idea they were that expensive, given the Amish are very frugal as a rule. I wonder how they get around recharging the batteries since electricity is a no-no to most Amish...maybe with electricity from a gas-powered generator?
    I was just in Holmes County in September. Go once or twice a year.
    Last time I did notice Electric Bikes were everywhere.

https://ebikesofholmescounty.com/
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 11-11-2018 at 10:36 AM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Thanks for the tip on an e bike conversion. An option I did not know about.
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Nike Nihiser View Post
    David,
    Using solar to charge the batteries?

JKJ

do they recharge when you go down hill

Several years I had a student who had an interesting wheel chair. The motors where in the hub of each wheel. As I remember there was no control box. She explained that as she used her hands to pull the wheel it assisted her efforts but she had to have some hand and arm control. I think she could vary the amount of assist depending on how tired her arms were.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Nike Nihiser View Post
    David,
    Could possibly be Mennonites?

I don't know anything about Amish, but many of my neighbors are Mennonites so I am familiar with them.
    They have a wide range of customs depending on what Church they go to. Some use electricity, some have it only in their barn only, some don't use it at all.
    They also vary widely in their dress and driving habits.
    I've never seen in on an electric bike.

I just wish they would clean up after their horses.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kreuzberg View Post
    Irrationally to most of us, "English," several sects of Amish permit electricity that does not come from the grid. In parts of Lancaster county, solar electric is getting big with Amish folks. An acquaintance of mine built a bike with solar panels on it and incorporated a motor in the front axle. He took it to tide water Virginia where everything is flat. On a very bright September day, the thing would cruise along at about 7 MPH., but as soon as he passed into a long shady spot, like a tree lined street, the thing slowed to a stop and he had to pedal. I think an electric bike makes much sense for city folks and around small towns. Saw an electric motor scooter a few years ago. It looked much like a vespa with big bicycle wheels and was going far too quietly down the road at about 30 MPH. I did a double take on the thing. It did have a registration tag on the back. I did not think they were legal in this state. They should be, but the state DMV and legislature are dragging their feet. Frankly, I think those who lose their licenses to DUI, should be permitted to at least use a moped or electric bike to and from work.