Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any tips for how to frame a bathroom mirror?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Those that I have build were pretty much like any "picture frame" or "window", but made strong enough to handle the weight of the mirror. I have used both Lap Joints and M&T.
    Thanks Jim!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I've done a few, I got a number of about 2x3' mirrors for $1 a piece at our local dollar store, without frames. I have had good luck with a miter joint with a #20 biscuit. I cut a slot for the mirror to go into about 1/2" deep, with the tablesaw. I then screw the bottom and top boards into the studs, the mirror is held up by them and the side boards just make it look nicer but don't really hold much weight.
    Zach

I have done all 3 of our bathrooms. One is 3'x3', one is probably 3'x6', and the other is a smaller round top with a bevel that the contractor glued to the wall. All 3 have those standard plastic mirror hanging/holding clips. I didn't feel like taking the large ones off the wall. I made the frame about 1" thick. The rabbit that overlaps the mirror is wide enough to completely cover the clips. I used a routered out a pocket in the backside of the frame where the clips were. The frame corners were reinforced with splines or biscuits. I used silicone to attach the frame to the mirror.

Zach, Cary - thank you! I appreciate the ideas.
    Fred

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I have done all 3 of our bathrooms. One is 3'x3', one is probably 3'x6', and the other is a smaller round top with a bevel that the contractor glued to the wall. All 3 have those standard plastic mirror hanging/holding clips. I didn't feel like taking the large ones off the wall. I made the frame about 1" thick. The rabbit that overlaps the mirror is wide enough to completely cover the clips. I used a routered out a pocket in the backside of the frame where the clips were. The frame corners were reinforced with splines or biscuits. I used silicone to attach the frame to the mirror.
    I like this idea. My daughter has an 8ft by 4 ft frameless mirror on her wall and she'd like it framed. Now I know how I can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I like this idea. My daughter has an 8ft by 4 ft frameless mirror on her wall and she'd like it framed. Now I know how I can do it.
    If you have any questions or want pictures, feel free to PM me.

For our mirror, already securely mounted to the wall, I added a maple frame. The corners are mitred. The frame is attached to the wall and the mirror edge using construction adhesive :

Master Bathroom - mirror.JPG

Because wood movement causes the mitred corners to separate, I added cherry corners :

mirror corner.jpg

Here’s a odd one , but the client loved it:

Rabbeted both piece the lower one was set simply nailed to the wall studs.

Added the rubber spacers ; then dropped the mirror into the lower rabbet.

Then the top rabbeted piece was installed to trap the mirror in place.

Top and mirror border are Spalted Western / Big Leaf Maple.

3D9513C3-85B2-4C4B-B5F0-A373F1CEB2C5.jpg

0574D5E4-91A7-425D-91D7-379963BAE87E.jpg

Yonak, that looks "stupendous"! Nice work!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    For our mirror, already securely mounted to the wall, I added a maple frame. The corners are mitred. The frame is attached to the wall and the mirror edge using construction adhesive :

Master Bathroom - mirror.JPG

Because wood movement causes the mitred corners to separate, I added cherry corners :
    That looks really nice with your vanity. Thanks Yonak!
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    Here’s a odd one , but the client loved it:

Rabbeted both piece the lower one was set simply nailed to the wall studs.

Added the rubber spacers ; then dropped the mirror into the lower rabbet.

Then the top rabbeted piece was installed to trap the mirror in place.

Top and mirror border are Spalted Western / Big Leaf Maple
    That's really unique Paul. I like it!
    Fred

Thanks, Jim and Fred.