Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just another box build

Steven,

I liked the way you clamped the panel up to the side of the bench, 2nd from the bottom picture of the 11/11 post at 11:15 PM.

I still think about how I want my first real work bench, with vises and all, to be, and looking at that clamp up made me think on that more. It is good to have a place like that for clamping on the bench, so that was a good thing to think about and learn from.

As always a "real" workbench is a long way down the road. Still no shop, and none for a while to come. Right now it is "need to do carpentry" as usual...currently rebuilding the deck. Right now it is about 38 degrees outside, so I won't be able to do the painting that needs to be done on the last set of railing and on the steps I put together yesterday....not all that much fun to work out there in the cold anyway.

Even if I wanted to work on something both of my current workbenches (both sets of sawhorses) are tied up holding the railing and steps that have one coat of paint on one side of them. I may go outside and install two sets of completed railing on the deck later though, but it is supposed stay in the upper 30s all day.

At any rate am enjoying the build, and was glad to notice how you clamped that one panel up, I just had not thought about using a bench in that exact way.

Looks like the weather up there isn't that great to go out in up there either. We had 4" or so of snow on the deck Monday morning when I headed to work, but it had melted off and I took a few hours off from work to assemble and paint while the temperature was in the 50s to low 60s and was nice outside to work. I may get some more paint on over the Thanksgiving holidays, but all the grandkids will be here, so I don't know.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 11-17-2018 at 11:35 AM.

Apron on the side of my bench is 5/4 thick....from the stile of a salvaged door.

I can clamp to the side of the bench. I can use the leg vise and a clamp. The chisel dresser under the bench has a wide shelf for the top....wide enough I can rest wider/longer items on it. I also have a crochet on the far end. 5' between the leg vise and the crochet...gives me plenty of options. I can also use a clamp across the top of the bench....one end clamps to the side of the bench, the other end grabs the side of the tool well...in case a part is too narrow for the apron.

Stanley 45 was done, time to stash it back in the case...
    main stock.jpg
    And...
    close the lid.jpg
    Close the lid. Cleared the bench's top..
    cleared the deck.jpg
    Cut a plywood panel for the bottom of the box...
    bottom panel.jpg
    Then the "Fun/War" can begin.....took all of this apart, laid the clamps close by. laid the parts out to keep them in some sort of order....spread some beads of glue around, trying to get most of it on the tongues....none on the plywood bottom ( I think)....trying to juggle 5 parts and a clamp..all at the same time.....about the second or third try....I managed to get a c clamp to hold ONE foot together...then started adding more clamps..
    clamp started.jpg
    This was just the start of things....for a while, a diagonal pipe clamp was used to pull things into square....then used two pipe clamps to pull the ends into alignment...

set aside.jpg
    Was finally able to set this forest of clamps aside...I think there just MIGHT be a box in there some where?
    Dug out the 1 x 12 White Oak plank I want to use as a lid....
    top blank.jpg
    letting the glue up sit a day or two....then clean it up, plane and sand things smooth, and see what size ( and shape? TBD) the lid needs to be...
    maybe by Wednesday....I can add a coat of stain....or just Amber Shellac? Stay tuned...

Went to remove the clamps this morning.....one thing led to another....
    IMG_6767 (640x480).jpg
    Lid is cut to size. Corners on the case have been squared up, and a round-over was done...
    IMG_6763 (640x480).jpg
    It even sits flat on it's feet...
    IMG_6766 (640x480).jpg
    A view of the back of the case..
    IMG_6765 (640x480).jpg
    A view from the top?

No hardware installed..yet. One coat of Amber Shellac is drying, now.

Will have to do..as a PIP...stay tuned...

Steven,

Well done! Thanks for sharing.

Stew

Thanks for looking in!

Shop is closed, today.....may try to get this little box done, this week.

Stopped at my friend's place today....4/4 x 6" x 12'....and a 7/4" x 4" x 10'.....just two Ash boards...destined to be an End Table for the Boss....BTW...she does NOT want a drawer in it....makes it easier for me...Ash is from the same tree as the Entertainment/ Fireplace Surround was made from...

Tomorrow, may get the hinges and handle(s) installed...maybe a length of Black Chain, too. Might see about running the router around on the top....different profiles between the top and underside of the lid?

Ash is sitting here in the Dining Room...getting used to the house. Thinking tapered legs, again...as I no longer have a lathe...not sure about IF she wants a shelf added...

Stay tuned...

Got bored working on a puzzle...went to the shop for a little while...
    round overed.jpg
    Rounded over the top and bottom edges of the lid...
    lid is on.jpg
    Installed the hinges, and..
    handle.jpg
    A handle on each end.....
    foot pads.jpg
    Installed foot pads.....re-coated all the bared wood, with Amber Shellac....
    close the lid.jpg
    And closed the lid.
    Some of the toys used tonight...other than the router..
    tool kit.jpg
    And that small hammer. Wood handled screwdriver is a Phillips...and I even needed the next size smaller for the screws used for the handles ( #0 , ?)
    Brought the box upstairs....will rub things down tomorrow, and decide IF it needs a coat of varnish...or not..
    Almost done..
    Thanks for following along...

Calling this one done. Getting a few new Ash boards ready for the next build project.

Thanks for following along.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Ok..needed grooves to house the raised panels...and needed grooves to house a plywood bottom....the first was the easy part...as to why I didn't use the old plough plane?
    Attachment 396516
    Was just too long of a plane, for the work needed done.
    Attachment 396517
    This is all the jig needed...the second second set of grooves needed something else.
    Attachment 396518
    Toys. Candle to keep the Stanley 45 moving smoothly. Combo square to check depth, the Stanley No. 3c was there to level the edge, and let me know which way the grain was actually running. IF the stile or rail was to house the raised panel..it got a groove along the edge...however,, a few rails also needed a groove to house the 1/4" plywood bottom...reset the jig..
    Attachment 396519
    Not the best way...just not enough room for all the things....like a depth stop. Managed to get two rails done...for the front and back...may try something else for the two on the ends of the box..
    Attachment 396520
    Plan right now, is to work on the front and back sections first...then the ends. Thinking a Tongue & Groove joint to glue the corners of the box together....
    Need to finish four stiles for the ends..

Attachment 396521
    But, for tomorrow's shop time, will work on Mortise and Tenon joints. And see about how to raise the panels.

Stay tuned..
    . Steve, help me understand how you are cutting the grooves for the panels & planes you are using - Is that wooden handled plane in the first pic a plow plane?

Plough plane. Mr. G. Roseboom of Cincinnati, OH made it about 1840-1850s. Was too long to use on the stiles and rails for this little box. I used a Stanley No.45, with a no.12 cutter, to cut the 1/4" x1/4" grooves.

Grooves are centered on the edges. Grooves to house the plywood bottom panel were 1/4" up from the bottom edges of the rails.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Plough plane. Mr. G. Roseboom of Cincinnati, OH made it about 1840-1850s. Was too long to use on the stiles and rails for this little box. I used a Stanley No.45, with a no.12 cutter, to cut the 1/4" x1/4" grooves.

Grooves are centered on the edges. Grooves to house the plywood bottom panel were 1/4" up from the bottom edges of the rails.
    Is that Rosebloom plane with a single 1/4 iron, that is, is it one size only? Or can uou change irons to modify groove width? And does it have a wood sole in front the iron? Any pics of the underbelly?

More of a Match Plane, than a plough....so, IF you have other widths with a notch on the back of the cutter, they will work, IF they fit...
    fence.jpg
    Fence is held in place via walnut wedges
    underside.jpgright side.jpgleft side.jpg
    New wedges, new tote, new fence.
    grooved.jpg
    Will plough a decent enough groove. Does not have a depth stop, nor a nicker. At almost 14" long, was a bit too long for the 9" long rails.