Thread: Unknown old chisel brand

Unknown old chisel brand

I have been sick, and just buying and repairing broken chisels off ebay until I get better.
    A little grinding, sharpening, and handle making.
    A chisel a day.

I wish I knew what brand this is.

unknown chisel 20181119_165018.jpgunknown chisel ebay pic apture.JPG

All that ebay said was:
    8 1/4" Vintage Woodworking Chisel Authentic Carpentry Relic 7F

Condition:
    Used

Guaranteed authentic and unaltered

It could be Douglass Manufacturing Company. They were an early maker of edge tools, and were established in 1856. I'm not sure when they went out of business. . I've seen chisels made by them, and I have a drawknife made by them.Their tools seem to be high quality.
    Rick

I'll second the opinion that this is Douglass brand. I have a couple of their chisels and the marks are similar. Mine are decent steel.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Douglas antique socket chisel 20181120_092715.jpg

Thank you very much for the two responses!

My Douglas chisel seems to have a not original rear hoop. It looks like water pipe.
    The handle looks like Hickory with varnish, but is very damaged and modified to be flat on the bottom.

To make a new handle I have ~ 25 wood species from Ebay and more I have gathered from my backyard. None look like Hickory... but I will find something.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark Magnuson View Post

My Douglas chisel seems to have a not original rear hoop. It looks like water pipe.
    The handle looks like Hickory with varnish, but is very damaged and modified to be flat on the bottom.

To make a new handle I have ~ 25 wood species from Ebay and more I have gathered from my backyard. None look like Hickory... but I will find something.
    At least a previous owner took the time to replace a handle and hoop instead of beating on the socket. The flat side may have been a way to keep it from rolling off the bench or for working at shallow angles close to a surface.

When picking wood handles there are a lot of considerations. Do you like your handles of chisels to be uniform or distinct? Will the handle be struck by a mallet or hammer?

Considering the uses, a struck handle should be of a straight grained wood not subject to splitting. For a paring only handle something that feels good in the hand having the surface qualities to match the level of smoothness you want.

Ash is one of my favorites for struck handles and maple works fine for a high polish on a paring chisel. One of my favorite handles is of rosewood. That could get rather expensive for a whole set.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-20-2018 at 2:47 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Douglas 1856 -1877 then Swan chisel with Maple handle 20181120_182716.jpg

I made a new handle from a scrap of Rock hard maple.
    I changed the angle of the cutting edge.

Blog Entries
    Looks good.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)