Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If not BC Tool & Saw, then who?

If not BC Tool & Saw, then who?

A search on the underlying question here gave me equivocal results, so here's another band saw blade question.......

I am a proponent of Michael Fortune's band saw philosophy: K-I-S-S. I last ordered bands in 2010 - 1/2" 3 TPI skip (Starrett Woodpecker), from BC, his favorite supplier, and just trashed my next to last re-purposing an old (very!) birch slab (hidden nails, and no, I don't have a metal detector.....). I went on line to order more (weekend - no phone contact) and it appears that BC was acquired by someone else and I can find no link on the website for band purchase. I need a custom length - 131.5": Grizzly GO513X2B - Looking on line, lots of links to Timberwolf, Wood Slicer, Lennox, etc, a few for custom length welders whose name I don't recognize......

Anyways, who do you all patronize for custom length bands? Preferably Starrett. Looking for good welds, fast and courteous service and possibly sharpening service. And is there any good reason to move on from simple, inexpensive 1/2" 3 TPI skip? In other words, has technology passed me by in the last 8 years?

I don't resaw a whole lot, but may do more in the future.......

Thanks,

Bruce

I would expect Starrett to sell factory direct.
    Bil lD.

I use predominantly Lenox but I do occasionally use (narrow) Starrett blades which I get from Iturra Design. If I were you I would get Lenox (just as good or better then Starrett) from CT Saw and Tool which should keep the shipping time low.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I always buy from my local saw shop. Prices are better, custom lengths no problem and I can usually get them either the same day or within no more than a couple of days.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My local saw shop used to keep rolls of bandsaw blade material, and weld them up, but they always had a noise when the weld went through the guides. They now order the blades in, and you can't hear any difference with the weld. Still reasonably priced.

I've never received anything but perfect blades from Bandsawbladesdirect but I don't know if they do the blade you want.

Suffolk Machinery always served me well. http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/index.html
    Richard

I bought Starrett bi-metal blades from Iturra Design, Louis Iturra. You have to call him (no on-line presence) 1(904) 642-2802. He is fast and very helpful and perfect welds. The blades are great. -Howard

I’ve ordered Lenox bimetallic blades from woodcraft bands in NC...if they are still around. Small shop, had to call last time. Good service and prices.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Hey, thanks guys. Some areas to explore.

Louis Iturra. I've been doing business with him for over 20 years with nothing but expert advise and great service. His print catalog alone is priceless. He carries both Starrett and Lenox, and ships the same day via 2 Day Priority Mail.

Hi, I order from R&D Bandsaw in Brampton.................Rod.

I order from Woodcraft Bands, in North Carolina. Family shop, phone orders only, great selection, excellent welds. They have an online catalog with pricing.

Bandsawbladesdirect for my Grizzly G0513X2BF.