Thread: Fussy saw nuts

Fussy saw nuts

Looking for suggestions from those who have "been dere and done dat". I came across a D12 that I'd like to clean up and put to work. Three of the nuts broke loose without issue but the screw that goes into the medallion does not want to let loose. When I try turning the screw head, the medallion moves right along with it. I guess I could clean up the plate with the handle on but it always seems like it is easier and they come out more even if I take the handle off before I go after the grunde and rust. Thanks for your suggestions!

Blog Entries
    Try baking it at 150 degrees to see if the expansion will break it loose. Boiling water might do it also.
    I have a D12 that came without a handle and I made new curly maple handle for it. I took it to Circle
    Saw in Houston and had it re-toothed crosscut. I put new saw nuts on it.
    I put a new curly maple handle on it. I also sanded the saw plate with a pad sander.
    If you do not have one, I suggest you get a pad sander to clean the saw plate with 220 sand paper. You
    might want to re-sand with fine sand paper.
    http://www.blackburntools.com/articl...tes/index.html

Disston.jpg
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 11-10-2018 at 4:22 PM.

If you have a handscrew clamp, you can drill a hole in one of the jaws large enough to clear the diameter of the head on the nut. This will allow you to clamp the medallion and back the nut off. More than likely, the threads on the nut have bottomed out on the male threads of the medallion.

+1 to Daryl’s suggestion. I cut a slot in one of mine for this purpose...I like the drill a hole idea.

DD9D2DC1-326B-4E2F-82DD-9F3CDC83EADA.jpg

Blog Entries
    http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/

According to the link above, the D12 is the most valuable Disston saw.
    The saw is worth restoring. I have other Disston saws, D7 and D8.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 11-10-2018 at 8:23 PM.

Thanks for the replies! The modified hand screw looks like a very promising option.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Markunas View Post
    Thanks for the replies! The modified hand screw looks like a very promising option.
    For a little added grip, set a hose washer or other piece of firm rubber between the medallion and the clamp.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Try baking it at 150 degrees to see if the expansion will break it loose.
    Or, if you have a soldering iron, get the iron up to heat and apply it to the nut long enough to heat it up but not long enough to char the wood.