Thread: Drying small wood slices

Drying small wood slices

I'm planning on making a small project with wood slices. The wood will be green when I cut the slices and they will be less than 4 inches in diameter and 1/2" thick. They'll also be of a couple of different species. What is the fastest/easiest way to dry the slices? I can handle cracking and I don't think it will be particularly bad given the size of the pieces. I've tried researching here and other places but haven't found much info of pieces this small.

Thanks.

Try boiling them for about 20 min then air dry.

I've dried small thin wood in a freezer with a defroster. Cut your oysters, sticker them into a small stack, and put them in the freezer. The freezer immediately freezes them. Then the defroster slowly removes the ice. (You've probably seen this water removal in an ice tray that's sat unused for months in the freezer.) The ice in the slices hold them flat while the drying is going on. The only downside to this process is that it takes time. Of course, thinner slices dry faster.

4. I know people that dry them in a microwave. Might want to research that. The guy had no cracks in the coasters that he dried.