Thread: Genetic engineering thought

Blog Entries

Genetic engineering thought

With the sudden burst of understanding in the field of genetics, the possibilities are limited only by the imaginations of the world's greatest minds. One possible benefit I see is skin that is more fire and uv resistant.

I am pretty sure that they could engineer turf grass that would only grow 3 inches tall, never requiring mowing. But the mower people have suppressed this invention.

Blog Entries
    How about a species of tree with wood displaying a beautiful chatoyance yet easy to plane.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I remember reading as a kid that they were developing square trunk tress.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I am pretty sure that they could engineer turf grass that would only grow 3 inches tall, never requiring mowing. But the mower people have suppressed this invention.
    Here are a number of non-repressed no-mow alternatives: https://homeguides.sfgate.com/grass-...ing-52979.html

Yes I have a couple of patches of buffalo grass in my yard - they dont look like the common lawn varieties around here. Which is why I thought they could splice the short-growing genes from those varieties into bluegrass/fescue/rye varieties to get the perfect look and low maintenance.

I like Lippia grass but even here it freezes back in winter. Does well in the san francisco bay area

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Yes I have a couple of patches of buffalo grass in my yard - they dont look like the common lawn varieties around here. Which is why I thought they could splice the short-growing genes from those varieties into bluegrass/fescue/rye varieties to get the perfect look and low maintenance.
    The company I used to work for tried that, it basically worked fine but the grass grew to 4- 4-1/2" which was deemed to be too tall for the consumer market. I think some of those varieties are being employed in roadside plantings and other applications where having it a little bit shaggy is OK. They never managed to make a variety that would stall out around 3".

Nope you guys are all wet. Scientists need to cross broccoli with a ten point buck. Once broccoli grew antlers and ran like hell, vegetarians could enjoy hunting too.

Seriously, back in the 1970's there was a show on British television about gene splicing, and what it could do. A scientist suggested putting the gene for size from an elephant into a sheep. The moderator looked at him and said, really, that's all we bloody need is a uncontrollable sheep the size of a damn cow. I remeber watching it
    Last edited by Perry Hilbert Jr; 11-14-2018 at 10:20 PM.