Thread: Spray Lacquer / brush on lacquer

Spray Lacquer / brush on lacquer

Looking to finish a new grandfather clock but having a hard time finding spray lacquer that's not in a can. I thought I read somewhere that you could use brush on lacquer for spraying, you just needed to thin it down. If this is correct how much do you thin it? I will be using a HVLP system to spray it. Also where could I purchase Pre Cat lacquer in quarts or is it not worth the trouble since this is a Grandfather clock case?
    Thanks
    Cecil

Cecil, I know folks who spray "brushing lacquer" with no issue. You can buy various types of solvent based lacquer from Sherwin Williams, for example, which is generally local to "most" folks.

That said, be sure you have a safe place to work with any solvent based finish. It's not something to be complacent about for both personal health and for fire/explosion risk. I personally only use water borne products for that reason.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a detached shop and good mask. I heat the shop up for a couple of day before I spray any solvent base finish's and turn the heat off while I spray. But, Thanks for the warning. I do spray a lot of water based but the raised grain could causes a problem with this clock case. A lot of small detailed parts.

An alternative to NC lacquer that still avoids raising the grain is to spray a coat of dewaxed shellac first and then follow with your WB topcoat. Since you already use WB topcoats this could be a good alternative.

Or just use shellac. It's plenty durable enough for a clock, and it looks beautiful.

John

Quote Originally Posted by cecil dean View Post
    Also where could I purchase Pre Cat lacquer in quarts or is it not worth the trouble since this is a Grandfather clock case?
    Thanks
    Cecil
    Sherwin Williams PreCat will only be available in gallons.
    Last edited by Tony Joyce; 11-10-2018 at 11:26 AM.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    Benjamin moore owns lenmar and should have the ultralaq precat lacquer available (if you are in a area that allows solvent lacquer)

Like SW it's only available in 1 and 5 gallon containers. It's relatively inexpensive at $45/gallon though

IMG_20181104_153203_993.jpg