Thread: Source for vector files for inlays

Source for vector files for inlays

Hello, I have recently done my first project with veneer and want to do some with inlays. I am interested in the choice of wood, assembly, finish and presentation (boxes, trays, chests etc) but I am not into files, corel, scanning images etc. Basically, I like to make sawdust rather than sit at the computer. I have a friend with a laser engraver - Epilog - and he will run jobs for me at a reasonable price, including free for small jobs. I just need vector files. I found a very small selection online but they were very complex - extremely detailed and large. I want simple to get started - a rose, a bird, an otter (that's a big deal for my new daughter in law). Say 20 to 50 pieces max, preferably less to start.

Would you all have any recommendations for sources? I do not need free, although obviously that is nice. I realize the files take a lot of work. I see there was a way to get forum attachments on DVD, but I was not sure people post design files, and I see a new post saying attachments are no longer available.

Below is the project. I expect to complete this weekend for my sons wedding next week. The panels are Birds Eye maple veneers. I made a clamping press and had very good success and enjoyed doing it, so then I ordered a sample box of veneers to play with.

Attachment 396327Attachment 396328

This is the simple press I made - 16 x 16" - large enough to do box tops or a small tray.

Attachment 396329

Any direction is appreciated.

As a follow up -

I would like something less complex to get started:
    Rose.jpgLeaf design.jpg

Then, when I am a little experienced....

Fish design.jpgFancy birds.jpg

This guy came on Sawmill Creek a few years ago and his software was pretty amazing. Might be worth looking into : https://www.amazoncanvas.com
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Scott, I did check that tool - it is really neat. There is a small number of files available for download. I may purchase this one if I don't find something else. $11.20 and 56 pieces.

I still get most of my images, vector and raster from the old Corel Draw 5 clipart CD. Maybe you can find one on EBay.
    There are many internet sides offering free vector files, but watch out, some will be scams and malware.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green