Thread: C Man Band saw

C Man Band saw

Got a #22401 14" BS on my local CL for $300.00. Sounds a little steep on the price but Im not sure how old this model is. Looks clean in the pic.

Thoughts
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you like your freedom, THANK a vet !

That looks like a decent bandsaw. It looks clean so it probably had very little use. That model appears to have been discontinued around 2008.

Most new 14" saws are in the $500-600 price range. $300 seems like a good price if it has good tires and possibly a few extra blades.
    Steve

The professional line of Craftsman tools were more than decent back in the days. I would have been happy to buy that saw for $300.

That saw is about 10-12 years old. If you are familiar with Craftsman tool pricing there were constant sales and stacking coupons so what someone paid may have varied widely. I remember people getting them for around $350, I think the average was closer to $400 and retail was around $475 then at the end it jumped to $550, but someone should never have paid that if they were a decent shopper. I think $250 would probably be fair for a clean example.

It is a decent little saw, IIRC it had a 1hp motor and an 8" vertical capacity. I don't remember many complaints but then a lot of the guys bought them for around or under $400 so they probably wouldn't have been too nit-picky.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

It looks like the saw I had for many years. It was totally satisfactory except that I had to replace the top wheel bearings after a relatively short while. It was two-speed. I never used the "metal" speed. Max blade width I used was 1/2" I did not ever find out if I could tension a wider blade. The fence was OK, but a bit finicky. I made a tall fence for re-sawing. Dust collection was good. Cast iron table was a plus. Work light was a minus. From appearances, it was the same basic saw as a Rikon of the same era.

Doug

I would have snagged it for $300, and I already have two bandsaws with no real need for a 3rd

Mall Saw, I thought they were out of business by the mid 1960's. I thought they only made circular saws, chain saws, and maybe jig saws.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    That saw is about 10-12 years old. If you are familiar with Craftsman tool pricing there were constant sales and stacking coupons so what someone paid may have varied widely. I remember people getting them for around $350, I think the average was closer to $400 and retail was around $475 then at the end it jumped to $550, but someone should never have paid that if they were a decent shopper. I think $250 would probably be fair for a clean example.

It is a decent little saw, IIRC it had a 1hp motor and an 8" vertical capacity. I don't remember many complaints but then a lot of the guys bought them for around or under $400 so they probably wouldn't have been too nit-picky.
    Van--am I recalling correctly that some of the Craftsman steel spined saws were made by Meber (maybe 17" and up??) for a time, at that some of that series were fundamentally Rikons in different paint?? Thanks for your input.
    Whether Europe or Asia--that one is worth at least a look at $300.
    earl

Hey that is my saw. I really like it except for the 7 " resaw. I replaced the stock bearings with a Carter kit. There was a good review in PW I think, can't find it now. I think I paid about $400 for it. The Carter kit was $200 at the Woodworking show. I really like the saw, but would like the resaw of the newer Rikon 14". To spec it is almost identical to the Rikon that had the same resaw height. Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    Van--am I recalling correctly that some of the Craftsman steel spined saws were made by Meber (maybe 17" and up??) for a time, at that some of that series were fundamentally Rikons in different paint?? Thanks for your input.
    Whether Europe or Asia--that one is worth at least a look at $300.
    earl
    If Craftsman imported a Meber I am not aware of it. This saw is made in the image of the Rikon 10-320. The review Dan mentioned in PW was in late 2009, maybe the October issue? It is a decent enough saw for a lot of hobbyist, just as long as they are aware of the resaw height and horsepower limitations.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I had the 12" version of that saw. I compared it to the 14" Delta clones and thought it was the most bang for the buck. The factory blade guide bearings didn't last very long. I replaced them with bearings I got at a local bearing seller, not Sears. Other than that, I thought it was a good saw. It got replaced by a 19" Grizzly.

John

Looks like he may have the saw sold. My fall back is 1 of 2.

1 Being the price drop @lowes on the PC. I can get it for $387.00

2. Is the ol HF saw for $295.00 after coupons..

I will not be using the BS a lot. Mostly for curves etc..

Thoughs
    If you like your freedom, THANK a vet !