Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice RE: Incra miter gauges

Advice RE: Incra miter gauges

Set up my table saw a couple weeks ago and like everything about it except the miter gauge.

Looking at the Incra choices. Would y'all go with the Incra 5000 (which consists of the 3000SE plus a three-part sled) or save a few dollars buying the 3000SE and building your own sled?

Or none of the above. If none, what do you suggest?

Saw is the Sawstop PCS 3hp, with 52" rails

Thanks for your time,
    Last edited by jeremy romoser; 11-09-2018 at 1:08 PM. Reason: to add the saw that gauge is used on

I used an incra 1000 for years. And had a home made crosscut sled for sled work, which was relatively large in comparison to the 5000. I liked them both and the combo handled everything I needed.

If I were doing it all over again... I would do the same.

I went with the 5000 sled because it allows me to use a sled while keeping my SharkGuard installed. I like it a lot, but it is large and heavy.

I think the 5000 sled paired with a smaller simple accurate miter gauge would be ideal, and plan to pickup a on from Incra at some point.

Incra 1000 and make my own sled/jigs.

Although I did get an iBox and really like it.

Ive got an Incra 1000HD and the Incra Miter Express sled (not the 5000). I like the way they work together so much that I recycled my shop-made sled.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I have the Incra 1000HD and built my own sled. I have the 36" SawStop, which does limit doing repeatable lengths a little, so I bought the fence upgrade from Inca, to use with the 1000HD which now allows me repeatable stops in the 27"=49" range.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Ive got an Incra 1000HD and the Incra Miter Express sled (not the 5000). I like the way they work together so much that I recycled my shop-made sled.
    I have this also. Works great.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I have the 1000SE and very happy with it. A word of caution concerning it and the Sawstop. There have been a few of us who have had close encounters and set off the brake.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    This is my situation as well. I also have a JessEm Mast-R-Slide sliding table for larger stuff as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I have the 1000SE and very happy with it. A word of caution concerning it and the Sawstop. There have been a few of us who have had close encounters and set off the brake.
    Guilty.

(Of not enough characters, as well.)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    So how do you prevent it? Just use bypass mode anytime I would use the Incra? Not sure I like that option?

Thanks to all for the replies. I'll look into each option mentioned before buying something.

Blog Entries
    Just for a lower dollar contribution. I use a V-27 (about $35 new back when I bought) on the Saw Stop and on the router table (1 for each). I added an Incra extrusion to each (these were also reasonable back when dinosaurs ruled the earth). These along with a sleds have met all my needs for many years. It just isn't all that often that I need super accuracy at 26.4 degrees .

This is the difference in what you think you need and what you end up using. I have sent a CMS and a biscuit joiner down the road and I have made other purchases that I "had" to have. Reality in my shop proved me wrong a some things. A fairly basic router table and relatively basic Incra miter gauges were a win.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy romoser View Post
    So how do you prevent it? Just use bypass mode anytime I would use the Incra? Not sure I like that option?
    It's not specific to Incra gauges, any metal one will do. For me, it had to do with taking the miter gauge out of the "sled" to use it for something else. I readjusted the position of the aluminum fence to accomodate the different tool, then forgot to adjust it back for the SawStop. Miter fence contacted blade, bingo, rookie mistake. I now have a dedicated miter gauge to accomodate each tool, and my dumbassedness.

I had my problem when I turned the miter gauge to 45 degrees and made a cut. When I turned it back, I did not adjust it carefully. Dumb mistake and the blade and brake mounted on a board next to my saw as a vivid reminder.

Just have to be careful.