Thread: Topcoat for Milk Paint and distressed wood?

Topcoat for Milk Paint and distressed wood?

I have a commission to build three custom sliding barn doors (interior). The doors will Douglas Fir with V-groove tongue and groove inset panels (floating).

Normally I would finish with hardwax oil but the customer wants a distressed look with darker, aged-looking wood and partially sanded off milk paint down to bare wood. I've played around a bit with this before, though it's not really my thing. I'll break out the chains, keys, nail punch and awl. And then the heat gun to crackle my paint. I can manage that but the final topcoat and bare wood finish is my concern.

I'm trying to decide on a final finish. Options I've come down to are:

1. Milk paint (multiple layers and colors, partially sanded off to bare wood) with clear wax over paint, and then Mylands dark wax (which has some shellac) over everything to provide protection and add patina to the both paint and wood.

2. Milk paint (multiple layers and colors, partially sanded off to bare wood), transtint dye in alcohol to bare wood areas for patina, with a top coat of:
    a. General Finishes Flat Out Flat Topcoat, or
    b. Matte Poly, or
    c. Other?

My preference would be Option 1 using just dark wax but I'm not sure if it would hold up over time.

I'd really appreciate any insights, tips.

Below is a similar door that was finished with hardwax oil. Can't believe I'm going to build this again ... and then beat it with chains, etc. :

Last edited by Tom Hyde; 11-18-2018 at 3:08 PM.
    Don't ask me how I know that!