Thread: Number 7 type 9 tote pattern

Number 7 type 9 tote pattern

I was given a very very rusty old number 7 Bailey Plane that is missing the rear tote. After several rounds of rust removal, I found the plane to be in pretty decent condition with minimal pitting. I still have a little clean up to do. The jappaning is completely gone and was a lost cause from the start so I'll have to redo all that. What I am looking for is a Tote pattern for the Number 7 Type 9 plane or a link where I can download one. Is the number 7 the same same as the number 6 (which I have a more modern version)? I am a little confused by the holes in the plane body for the tote. It looks like it attaches from the bottom and is different from what I'm familiar with, or possibly someone jury rigged this and drilled this hole (photo). Anyone want to take a couple of snapshots of a disassembled 1902 number 7 type 9 they could share so that I know exactly how this should be fabricated?
    IMG_0800.JPGIMG_0801.JPGIMG_0802.JPG

Thanks

Rick Floyd
    Last edited by Rick Floyd; 11-08-2018 at 3:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    Most likely someone stripped the threads where the long rod goes into the sole. It seems to be a common occurrence. The cast iron can not take a lot of taking apart and putting back together. There are only a few threads holding the bolt.

Lee Valley used to have drawings for Stanley totes on their site. Maybe someone has the link.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I wondered if that might not be the case. The threads were pretty rusty so do you see any reason I couldn't just slightly enlarge the hole and tap a new thread? I'd have to make a custom bolt to get this to work but I don't see that as a huge problem.

I could fill that hole in the bottom with a weld and file the bottom smooth, or, I could just leave it alone and see if the hole interferes with the use of the plane.

Blog Entries
    Google "Stanly Plane Tote Patterns". You will have plenty to choose from.

Another source is Lee Valley.

Thank you for the hints, I now have a good template.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Floyd View Post
    Thank you for the hints, I now have a good template.
    It is always difficult for me to find the link to the page since having downloaded the templates years ago:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=63262

Rick PMed me about finding it via Google > lee valley tote template <

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)