Over the years I've noticed that I have no problem coming up with the money to buy tools, but I definitely have trouble opening the old wallet when it comes to buying the more pricey lumber for projects.

For example, the wife wants a new dining table; preferably made of black walnut. I'm fortunate enough to have a separate shop with nice power tools that total several thousand dollars in cost. I've got no problem with that. Yet I'm balking at the thought of spending the close to five hundred dollars on the lumber to make the table.

Need it made out of poplar? No problem, I'll get right on it. Sheet goods for built in bookcases? Let's get it done. Custom piece out of walnut or mahogany? A frugal part of my brain kicks in and says "Woah woah, slow down there Bill Gates. Lets think this through." And it gets put off.

I think a lot of it is my frugal nature. I almost always will wait to buy something till it's on sale. Tools included. The flip side is that lumber never seems to go on sale. So I put it off and over time it just increases in price.

Any fellow woodworkers wrestle with this?