Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tools? Sure. Lumber? Slow down now.

I'm the exact opposite. No reason to have thousands of dollars worth of machines, if you don't have an equal investment in the raw material. Just my philosophy.
    Buy lumber when you see it, that appeals to you.
    The hard thing is not finding a good deal, but finding quality lumber in my experience.Keep it on hand and don't buy in small quantities, or just enough for a project. If you need 20bd/ft, buy a hundred as long as it's good lumber.
    When you're considering buying a small portable building to house your wood "stash", you're beginning to have enough.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 11-08-2018 at 4:16 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Something I've reiterated a "few times" over the years is that the finishing process for a project starts with material selection...grain, color, quality, consistency. So yes, while it's "painful" to buy the good stuff, it can make a difference between a very nice project result and an outstanding, eye-opening result. I also find quality lumber to be a good "investment" and buy things when there is an opportunity to save money or have access to something really nice, even if I don't have a project for that material. I'm not saying I have piles and piles of stuff, but a good board is a good board and it will eventually "tell" me what it wants to become. I still have two really nice 5/4 wide cherry boards I bought in about 2002 during an annual sale from a larger quantity that I have put to use. I also have an eclectic mix of "exotic" things that a cabinetmaker neighbor gave me years ago that come into play from time to time. While I don't have the same level of income that I had prior to retiring, I'll still not avoid "a good deal" on something that pops my cork...

Edit: I forgot to add that I actually bought 30 bd ft of beautiful 8/4 sapele this past weekend while I was at a training class down in VA. The price was right and I know that it will be put to good use at some point, even though I don't have a current project that calls for sapele.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-09-2018 at 9:53 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For those who buy green wood and dry it, after huge weather events, small band saw mill guys often have access to nice logs with no place to store it after milling it. Good time to dig deep and have a long term approach.

As another thought, and then I will stop, I think you have to decide if your are a casual hobbyist or if you got the "Wood Disease." If you got the wood disease and you are fairly young buy wood in quantity when available. I read somewhere that hardwood prices are up 3X the inflation rate since 1980. Buying lumber "futures" is good investing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    I'm the exact opposite. No reason to have thousands of dollars worth of machines, if you don't have an equal investment in the raw material. Just my philosophy.
    Buy lumber when you see it, that appeals to you.
    The hard thing is not finding a good deal, but finding quality lumber in my experience.Keep it on hand and don't buy in small quantities, or just enough for a project. If you need 20bd/ft, buy a hundred as long as it's good lumber.
    When you're considering buying a small portable building to house your wood "stash", you're beginning to have enough.

I'm with Mike here. I dont mind spending the money on lumber, the bigger problem is definitely finding nice lumber. Yeah I can get cherry, walnut, etc. But I can never find highly figured wood or "exotics", if I come across any I have no problem opening the wallet.

I tend to buy what I need for a project. I just don’t have the space to do otherwise, and I’m only doing a couple of major projects per year. I often pay whatever the price is for the wood I want. I’m not experienced in making one type of wood look like another, so I get the real thing. Everytime I’m in a place that sells wood, I will look at whatever is on sale, and perhaps even pick up a great looking board for something down the road. But as someone has already said, I’m not about to put lots of hours into something, to wish I would have spent a bit (maybe even a lot) more on good wood.

Maybe cheaper prices would make it easier. Have you looked around for another supplier? I’ve had good luck finding guys with woodmizers who cut lumber as a hobby and sell for very reasonable prices.

Too much wood

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    For those who buy green wood and dry it, after huge weather events, small band saw mill guys often have access to nice logs with no place to store it after milling it. Good time to dig deep and have a long term approach.
    I started buying hardwood from small sawmills back in the mid '70 and put it up to dry. Very inexpensive. I bought just a few boards at a time to dry and after a few years I had an excess. I don't do this anymore since I have my own sawmill now. Now I really have an excess. Dry cherry boards make a nice campfire.

JKJ

Man I have the opposite problem. Like real real bad....

I think I’m addicted to buying lumber. When I first started Woodworking I purchased tools with a fever. Now that I have basic level of Woodworking competence and have come to understand there is a zillion ways to skin a cat I’m less inclined to spend on another tool as I generally have everything I need to make anything I want. Sure I want this tool and that tool but I don’t really need them.

Now lumber, man I just can’t pass up quality stock. It’s real problem for me I spend crazy amounts of money on lumber annually. I used to buy a couple boards of this or that at a time when I found that special group of boards as the price made me cringe and I just couldn’t clear that $300-800 hurtle. Now when I find something special I do everything I can to buy as much as availible that I can afford. Namely I tend to obsess when I find something I know in 20 years when I’m retired I probably will not be able to find, and if I if I can find it it will be so expensive buying it will not be a option.

As others have said there is nothing like working with quality stock. I recently started a project comprised of Wenge, Ceylon or satinwood “no imitation” waterfall bubinga and ebony. I plow through soft maple and sheet stock at work without any thought or respect for that it’s a tree and a natural resource valuable if for no other reason than what I just stated and even though I’m sure farm raised not infinite.

However when working with the above material “not soft maple and sheet stock” I find I slow way way down in every aspect and truely connect with not only my work much deeper but I actually connect with the material and thus the whole thing is just a beautiful experience I feel so very lucky to part of that I could not be having if not for wonderful wonderful trees.

I was at Paxton lumber on Tuesday. Two sheets of ash plywood and 15 board feet of ash 8/4 and 5/4 cost me $320. I glanced at the walnut and 8/4 was $16 something a board foot. Ouch. The ash was only $6 and change. The ash plywood sheets were $120 a piece

Terry, for the longest time I considered red oak to be the pinnacle of woods because anything more expensive seemed a waste of money. Then I found a real hardwood store and something came over me. I lost my mind. Reason went right out the door. I could feel my heart race as looked around at row after row of gorgeous woods. I also lost over $500 that day but found a new love. And every time I'm surrounded by interesting hardwoods I still get that high and I have to take something home.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

I share your problem Terry.
    Nothing wrong with poplar. Nothing at all.
    But I do love mahogany.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I always have a problem spending money on wood. I used to make everything out of oak. Now most of the stuff I make are made out of maple. I never understood why wood is so expensive, it grows on trees.

I have always loved figure, never afraid to cut the center out of a board for a draw front.
    Next year I turn 70. No time to use junk wood, now that I am in the fourth quarter.
    Birdseye Maple is my first choice.
    Go for the Walnut, when my wife is HAPPY things go better around here.

Funny I was arguing with my wife that the next project must be out of walnut ... she argued why so expensive go with maple.
    So it can be the other way around ...

OP I hear ya and Im pretty much the same way. Only way I have found to work "past" it is to remember that the only reason I bought all those tools WAS to work with wood. Of all kinds. And like so many other hobbies, the consumables are expensive but it's money that must be spent to enjoy the hobby. It's a means to an end. I also only buy what I need per project. I do not have the room to store too much wood that I dont have immediate plans for. So that helps keep down the amount I spend on it I suppose.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!