Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can 5/4 Ash span 60” without sag?

I tried using 5/4 ash on a 60x60 table bottom inset. Laminated 5 boards together. It flexed to much after getting it in the rabbet. Lesson learned. Went back and got a oversized sheet of 3/4 ply. Much more stable.

That’s unbelievable a full 1 1/4 solid ash panel insert was more flexible then 3/4 plywood. Are you sure
    Aj

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Short answer- yes, it'll make the span with light loads, ash is pretty strong.
    Make it a nice piece, good on both sides and edges, make it removable (mount on shelf pins,cleats etc..)
    Put it in, if it begins to sag over time, flip it over
    Done

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Pelton View Post
    I tried using 5/4 ash on a 60x60 table bottom inset. Laminated 5 boards together. It flexed to much after getting it in the rabbet. Lesson learned. Went back and got a oversized sheet of 3/4 ply. Much more stable.
    Do you mean it flexed or cupped? Material can be both very stable and very flexible at the same time. Like wise, a panel can be very stiff, yet unstable.

I’m going to assemble the top with dowels and glue. It will be attached to the unit with regular table top fasteners. So it will be removable if I end up needing a support under it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Baginski View Post
    I’m building an entertainment center. Just below the top, I’ll have a large area where the sound bar will fit. It will be 60” long and 20” deep. Then below that are the shelves and drawers. I’m planning on building the top piece from 5/4 ash. The rest of the piece is ash and ash plywood as well. The top will only be supported on the edges. I’m trying to avoid any type of center support.

According to the sagulator, this should work. There won’t be any heavy items on the top. Maybe just small decorative items. Does anyone have experience with a build similar to this?
    A sketch of your project would be most helpful. I've found the sagulator to be quite accurate. Be sure you use the finished thickness of your top piece for the calculation. A 60" span for 1-1/4" thick ash shouldn't be fine. I have a 50" span of 3/4" hickory that holds a computer monitor and I can sit on it with less than 1/4" deflection.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    If it sags, add a decorative stiffener on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Baginski View Post
    ...There won’t be any heavy items on the top. Maybe just small decorative items...
    Another way to word this is: "Due to inadequate design, only lightweight items can be placed on the shelf."

Support can also be from above, in the form of a divider, to break up the span.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."