Thread: New iron, old jack plane

New iron, old jack plane

One of the treasures that I brought home back in August....
    treasures.jpg
    I have already cleaned the drills up, refurbbed the Defiance plane....which left the old jack plane....which also needed an iron. Plane is a single iron style...means a thick iron of some sort needed to be found....
    back half.jpg
    Long ago, someone had taken some 1/4" steel, made a spud bar type of tool...this is after I removed about half of the flat part. It laughed at and detoothed a few hacksaw blades. Grinder to cut a groove deep enough, that I snap it off.
    groovy.jpg
    Yeah, yeah...burned a bit. The matching end on the cut off piece will be the non-cutting edge. I went back far enough to get as much flat steel as I could.

Had to grind the one face flat-er....and then grind a 25 degree bevel....came out a bit cambered..
    cambered edge.jpg
    A bevel down jack plane. Turned out, I had to trim the wedge to a new length...
    trimmed wedge.jpg
    Was giving it a test drive on some Oak scraps....against the grain....
    Still need a few other things rehabbed...may shape the top of the wedge a bit better...and try to tighten the handle/tote
    jack plane.jpg
    Iron is 2" wide...1/4" thick....grinder was throwing off those "forked sparks"......used oil to keep things cool...last dunk was into warm water. Will take it to the oil stones later...right now, it is merely grinder sharp....Not sure about what I'll do with the leftovers...yet. May try to flatten out the curve section...maybe get rid of the "handle". Came from a barn sale a few years ago...
    May have cost me a dollar bill.....

Will update, as I get this ready for use....may clean up the woodwork....and may add a new finish.
    Stay tuned...

IF I read the "scratchings" on the front end....this was an Ohio Tool Co. jack plane.....I can make out the O H I O stamped there...barely.

Neat to see this come back to life.

Come up Saturday, and try it out...

Have since worked the iron over a bit....sharpened to 2,000 grit, then a strop. WR #62 to flatten the sole. it also cleaned the sides on the plane's body.

A little more finicky than I like.....spoiled by the iron planes,..