Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sash by hand in cherry

Sash by hand in cherry

Mark that looks awesome! Nice clean, tight joints. Did you stick the muntins & mullions with a sash plane? If so you are my hero lol

Edit: You posted the second pics while I was typing. Turns out you are my hero
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

That plane! I need one just to rub on some wood for a while.
    David

Blog Entries
    Wonderful work on the joinery. Did you take any pictures of the joint taken apart to show the joinery details?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

One of the reasons we love hand tools!
    Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    That plane! I need one just to rub on some wood for a while.

Thanks Brian - it was a fun project!
    Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    Mark that looks awesome! Nice clean, tight joints. Did you stick the muntins & mullions with a sash plane? If so you are my hero lol

Edit: You posted the second pics while I was typing. Turns out you are my hero

Jim, some pictures of the joinery on practice pieces and my guide, Charles Hayward
    A.jpgB.jpgC.jpgD.jpgE.jpgF.jpg

Blog Entries
    Beautiful work, Mark!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Thanks Brian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Beautiful work, Mark!

Wow awesome looking sash. Where did you find your sash plane? I would love to find a sash plane that matches my early 20th century sashes, I have 5/8” muntins with the most graceful ovolo profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    Wow awesome looking sash. Where did you find your sash plane? I would love to find a sash plane that matches my early 20th century sashes, I have 5/8” muntins with the most graceful ovolo profile.
    Thanks Robert! I bought my stick & rabbet ( sash ) plane from Todd Herrli about 18 years ago, along with a matching coping plane. Life got in the way & I never used them until this cherry country hutch I am building. 8EB518BB-0D97-4A47-AA87-18C2832C08AE.jpg

Excellent work Mark. Making sash is one of the fussier and more difficult forms of hand tool woodworking. Gads, I haven't heard the name Todd Herrli in quite a while.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Thanks for the information Mark. I know it’s important to get both the sash plane and the matching cope plane or the proper template..

I know from repairing a few window sashes its a drag to have to cope by hand with carving gouges..
    Last edited by Robert LaPlaca; 11-08-2018 at 1:46 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mark, thanks for the added images, it is making me want to make something with sash and glass.

I would love to find a sash plane that matches my early 20th century sashes, I have 5/8” muntins with the most graceful ovolo profile.
    Some of the sash blades that have come my way for a Stanley #45 were modified by previous owners for custom or matching work. It isn't as hard as it may seem.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)