Thread: Is There a Spokeshaves Anonymous?

Blog Entries

Is There a Spokeshaves Anonymous?

Well, at least this one is very different from the other spokeshave that have been recently emptying my wallet:

#68 Spokeshave.jpg

A Stanley #68 Rabbet Spokeshave.

#68 Sole.jpg

Lucky for me it made it through the mail. The seller wrapped it in bubble wrap and put it in a Priority Mail envelope. It was hanging half way out of the envelope when it got here.

It needs a bit more blade work, but will be good for use in some tight places and may be good for trimming tenons. We shall see.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Never thought of using a spokeshave for trimming tenons, but then again I have never heard of a rabbet spokeshave. I believe you are reaching beyond the "dipping my toes into the pond" stage when it comes to spokeshaves Jim. I'd like to see it in action on a rabbet just so I can say "I saw that before".
    David

I've never seen one of those before. Do you have one that makes curved muntins for fancy window sash? They have two cutters for going either direction.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I've never seen one of those before. Do you have one that makes curved muntins for fancy window sash? They have two cutters for going either direction.
    Oh my, another thing for which to keep my eyes open.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Those have puzzled me. They're billed as spokeshaves, but the sole is so long front to back that the tool could be a plane, if shaped differently. I'll be interested to hear how you find it working/what it's good for.

Jim, have you acquired a Stanley No. 67 "universal" spokeshave yet? That's got rabbeting capability, too, with a shorter sole:
    Stanley-67-shave.jpg
    More info: http://peterrobinson.galootcentral.c...anley-67-shave
    Last edited by Bill Houghton; 11-08-2018 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Offering new temptations

Don't feed him Tom. I believe the illness already has him.
    David

Jim, I can play along. This is another unusual spokeshave - a Preston moulding shave ...

A quick few strokes ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Sadly there haven't been any Preston tools crossing my path.

The Pacific Northwest seems to be the last part of the North American continent where old tools go to rust.

jtk

Blog Entries
    Jim, have you acquired a Stanley No. 67 "universal" spokeshave yet? That's got rabbeting capability, too, with a shorter sole:
    None of those have shown up in my rust hunting travels of yet.

jtk

Blog Entries
    I had a nice wooden spokeshave but hurricane Harvey visited my shop. You keep talking about them and now I will have to look for one.
    I have a metal one.

Blog Entries
    The low angle attack of the wooden shaves is really nice. Though they do not seem to have the reassuring strength of the metal shaves.

jtk

three shaves.jpg

Been a good boy...these are all I have...