Thread: Craftsman ras

Craftsman ras

Have the above RAS. Was cutting the other day and stop the saw for a new set up. Hit the start switch and nothing. As if I had unplugged it. So I went through all steps with the cap etc.. cont checks etc.. I got down to the over load switch. As you can see in the pic, I have 3 terminals. If I jump across 1 and 3 the motor starts up as usuall. This part cant not be found as I have searched high and low. My question is how does terminal 2 in the pic tie into the switch. I know the red wire runs from T2 back to the start winding which in turn goes back to the cap.
    I was thiking to tie the 2 wires from T1 and T3 together but not sure what thats going to do to my T3 wire back to the cap.

Thoughts? Anyone have a wiring diagram lol. Cant find anything for parts anymore on this saw.

Model 113.197751

ThanksRAS.jpg
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 11-07-2018 at 7:56 PM.
    If you like your freedom, THANK a vet !

brand is "C"? Never heard of it. Do you mean Crescent or maybe California saw? What country and age is it from. looks fairly modern I am guessing 1960's or newer. Is it AC/DC or just AC?
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 11-07-2018 at 7:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    brand is "C"? Never heard of it. Do you mean Crescent or maybe California saw? What country and age is it from. looks fairly modern I am guessing 1960's or newer. Is it AC/DC or just AC?
    Bill D.
    Going on just odds it is a Craftsman, solidified by the 113.XXXXXX model number.

edit meant to add it is a thermal overload switch see if you can find a part number on it. It should be fairly easy to track down.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 11-07-2018 at 7:59 PM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    If I remember correctly that is a push button over current switch. Have you tried pushing the red button to reset it?

Parts manual is here.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks all. Yes its a craftsman. Found out they used a Kilxon D157 and I will try and find one tomorrow. Id rather get a replacement rather than jump it over.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Racine View Post
    Thanks all. Yes its a craftsman. Found out they used a Kilxon D157 and I will try and find one tomorrow. Id rather get a replacement rather than jump it over.
    It is relatively easy to stall that saw and with no over current protection, the smoke will leak out of the motor very quickly.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

some had bad overload switches, would have been smart for me to disconnect it rather than the frustration it caused. Switched to a skill saw and zero issues after that only used for rough cross cutting anyway and mine wasnt even good for that.

I was thinking maybe a quick blow fuse as I am having a hard time finding the switch. Anyone know what the numbers mean on these switches? Cat seem find that info....

I was thinking maybe a quick blow fuse as I am having a hard time finding the switch. Anyone know what the numbers mean on these switches? Cat seem find that info....
    Looks like these folks may have what you need:
    http://www.carbonbrush.com/klixonphenolicold.htm
    The numbers probably relate to the current rating.

yeah I found that page too Ken. I need more numbers off my switch to see if I can match something up. SO many. lol

Blog Entries
    yeah I found that page too Ken. I need more numbers off my switch to see if I can match something up. SO many. lol
    I bet a single phone call to that company would get you exactly what you need if you know the amp draw and voltage for your motor.
    by mail
    Arrowhead Electric Company
    13950 Rosecrans Ave Suite A
    Santa Fe Springs CA 90670

by toll free
    800-500-7311

by local call
    562-921-8521

by fax
    562-407-5182

by email
    sales@carbonbrush.com
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

Yeah Lee I went up on there site and looked up the switch number. They have them and I have one in the mail. $42.00 Total. Just glad they still cry them. I luv my RAS even though most of the world hates them. lol

~~~UPDATE~~~~ In case someone searches for the same problem Ill throw in an update. The Thermal switch I ordered fixed my RAS. its good "new" now.

Thanks for all the imput!!!!!!!!!