Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool suggestion for debarking and smooting poles

Tool suggestion for debarking and smooting poles

My scout troop is looking to accumulate a set of poles for pioneering projects. (building structures with lashing) I have therefore been cutting down saplings in my woodlot of various thicknesses and lengths, but these need to be de-barked and smoothed out somewhat. I was originally thinking a draw-knife would work best, but I figured I'd check and see if there was a better suggestion. It needs to be un-powered or the scouts aren't allowed to use it.

Astonishingly, BSA safety guidelines say an 11 year old scout can use an axe or a splitting maul, but not an electric screwdriver or dremel.

Drawknife will do the job.

Blog Entries
    Another vote on a draw knife. When working on a ranch we didn't call them draw knives, we called them pole peelers.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Side hatchet, bark spud, drawknife.

Drawknife is probably the best and, with proper supervision, safest tool for the job.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Blog Entries
    My introduction to the draw knife was at Scout camp. It's a good tool for the task. Sharp draw knives, however, can be pretty dangerous so a real emphasis needs to be put on safety...

Mike

Drawknife is the best tool in general here. However you need a way to hold the pole since the DK is two-handed. They're also trickier to sharpen and using them takes a little bit of practice.

So, in this case, with kids, I'd vote for a couple HD hatchets.

They are probably allowed to use an orbital sander. So, you could set up a production line where some kids are roughly skinning the bark and the rest are sanding with 36 grit.

For the
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 11-09-2018 at 10:08 AM.

I would vote draw knife, not the cheap menards ones though.

Nigerian dwarf goats, well any goat will do...... Tie one end of the poles to a fence or a support in their pen at an angle, the goats will do the job for you!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Blog Entries
    It may be a good idea to have a good pair of gloves to go with each draw knife.

For holding the poles can be held in a quickly made saw buck. They are a saw horse with the legs forming an X. The top of the X being made to fit the work.

Google Sawbuck.jpg

Just for fun see how long of a peel can be made.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    ... Just for fun see how long of a peel can be made.

jtk
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned. As you are using saplings, when they are freshly cut, some species have bark that is easy to peel. As kids, we used to peel willow tree branches with just our fingers (and occasionally our teeth to get them started).
    Last edited by John Schtrumpf; 11-09-2018 at 9:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Schtrumpf View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned. As you are using saplings, when they are freshly cut, some species have bark that is easy to peel. As kids, we used to peel willow tree branches with just our fingers (and occasionally our teeth to get them started).
    Might be easier to peel bark from many species if cut in the spring when the sap is flowing. People who turn natural edged bowls and WANT to keep the bark on have learned to cut the trees in the winter when they are dormant.

If there were a lot of poles it would be a lot quicker but not as much fun or educational to take the load to a commercial mill with a debarking machine, if one is near. On the other hand a field trip to a large commercial mill would be educational in itself - one son didn't want to leave after watching for almost an hour.

JKJ

Not just to be contrary, but I'm going to say not a drawknife for the majority of the work, or the majority of the boys. A Bark Spud will not only get most of the bark off easier than a drawknife, but the cutting edge is always going away from you. I did a bit of Googling, and you can even buy one at Tractor Supply for 30 bucks. Google also found a number of video's of them in use.

You still need a drawknife, for around knots, and tight places, but there is no comparison to production with a Bark Spud.

Erik Litts wrote (in part):
    "Astonishingly, BSA safety guidelines say an 11 year old scout can use an axe or a splitting maul, but not an electric screwdriver or dremel."

So, I guess this method would be out of the question? :-)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NK1...ew?usp=sharing

Sorry, I just couldn't resist the temptation to post this photo my dad took some time in the mid-1950's. According to his note, it is a photo of "pine pole peeling," taken at the Mohican State Forest, Ashland County Ohio.

Don McConnell
    Eureka Springs, AR

Now that's real pole peeling! I remember, in the 1950's, I never saw a chain saw that didn't have a bow blade like the one in the background, except for one that had to be operated by two people.