Thread: Federal Style Table #2

Federal Style Table #2

My second attempt at a Federal Style table. Was a fun project, with a number of first-time-for-me details, including curved stringing, banding around the aprons, cuffs at the bottom of the legs, and cockbeading.

188C703D-9C35-4C53-B403-9C68FDFBBB10.jpg B4B478AC-2300-4928-A407-DAE6CC591F2D.jpg AB7C6FEE-AE70-48C0-947B-86D2437D2504.jpg
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 11-07-2018 at 8:04 AM.

That is unusual in that the stringing on the legs doesn't have a lot of contrast to the beautiful bright color,but I think that
    type of subtlty is sometimes an indication of a piece for personal use in one's study or bed room. Love the verticality ,
    the grain direction of the top ,and the marble-like drawer. Really spectacular. I'm wondering if you have considered making one of those "work tables" (sewing tables ) which are a lot like that piece with the addition of the silk bag to
    hold the in progress garment.

Stunning work!!
    Ask a woodworker to "make your bed" and he/she makes a bed.

Outstanding work, Phil!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nicely done.

I like the cabinets too. :-)

Very nicely done!

Blog Entries
    Beautiful Table...
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Beautiful and well executed.

Beautiful work!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks all for the nice complements. Given I’m mostly a hand tool user, with an electric router thrown in here and there, it took a lot of time, redos, and fixes...but loved every minute of the process. Well, maybe not every minute!

Yes, Mel, it’s for personal use. I like federal style, but just don’t feel the love for the high contrast holly stringing on traditional pieces (blaspheme!). I did try maple...hoping it would be a soft white rather than stark white. Unfortunately, the mahogany I used isn’t the dark brown I was hoping for and the maple blended in almost to the point of being unseen (the picture actually makes the wood look a bit darker than it actually is). So I switched to walnut. LOML likes the more subtle look...so all is good in the household. It has even been approved for a spot in the living room.

And Robert, I wish I could take credit for the cabinet work. It was part of a 2005 kitchen remodel and the cherry has aged/warmed to a beautiful color.

Phil, beautiful table! I know who to ask about tips on fancying up my end tables!

Thanks, Mark, anytime. But your work on that tall clock was spectacular...not sure I can add much!

Beautiful. Well done. I like the use of the grain on the drawer front.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.