Thread: Moving the DC to the attic

Moving the DC to the attic

My shop is 30x34x10 with attic trusses and a 7x8' space up there. I am currently running a 1 1/2 hp Grizzly Cyclone which does an excellent job on my machinery. That machinery is a Sawstop, Dewalt 15" planer, 14" BS, 6' jointer, Router table, etc. No industrial stuff. In the 4 yrs the shop has been up I finally just stopped almost all work, except on my potato chip table top, and am doing another re-org. First step was to eliminate all the "stuff" whether hers or mine that doesn't support my shop work. Two weeks ago I found that I couldn't walk 4' without re-directing, turning sideways or doing a do-se-do with something. I got the Adirondack Guide Boat out, the unused exercise equipment and other things and it is opening up. I am tired of rolling the DC around and dealing with hoses and cords on the floor. My biggest mistake in the build was not putting electrical in the slab and overhead. All my 220 power in down fed from the attic so I could run a couple 220 drops along with the 4" DC drops. 6" ridgid pipe in the attic and along the ceiling and 4" flex drops. I am not sure the 1 1/2 hp DC can handle it. Oh, that was another mistake. Some equipment, DC, plasma machines and a few others, buy at least one size up from what you think you need. I am going to talk to Grizzly on this. Has anyone done this? How has it worked out? What am I missing? Much obliged for any suggestions.

I helped a local friend install her Oneida cyclone in the upstairs of her shop building a number of years ago and it was no problem at all. We kept the bin downstairs for convenience with a longer drop tube to suit. (rigid until it went through the floor a bit and then flex to the barrel. My concern for your situation is that you have a smaller unit that is already at the lower end of performance. You'd be potentially increasing the duct length significantly with the relocation. And you do not want to use flex for your drops other than the last little bit to connect to the machine with minor exceptions. Flex hose reduces air flow significantly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The 1 1/2 hp has been great. I may be about to prove that the most expensive tool you can buy is the one you buy cheaply...and often. Thanks for input.

When selecting exercise equipment consider how you will hang clothes on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Good point !

Blog Entries
    My garage attic is not high enough for my DC, so I built a room for it & the compressor in the basement just next to the garage. It works great. But I have a 5 HP blower & 8" main ducts. It sure in nice having those 2 big, noisy things out of the shop work space.