Thread: LP style guitars - anyone made one?

LP style guitars - anyone made one?

I sold my 2001 LP GT Standard, and I am about to embark on the build journey to replace it with a custom version of the one I had that got stolen in 1983. That was a real deal 1959 GT over flamed burst, and the neck was perfect. It had a Brazilian RW fretboard (which I don't think I can replace), and PAF in neck, and a Pyramid rails pickup at the bridge spot. I also had Jimmy Page wiring options (but I did not know it back then), with micro toggles for split coil taps and phase wiring.

I have followed several threads on the TDPRI pages over the years, and I have templates and wood stashed. I will be doing a burst flame top without the gold top, because I love the look of the lemon bursts from the 1959 era.

Any guidance will be appreciated.

Mark in Nashville
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

It would not be as much trouble as making violin tops and backs,which have a dip near the edges of their arches,and a more complicated shape.

Did you know that Gibson made their arch top LP because they knew that Fender had no carving machine ? But,how much of an investment would it have been for Fender to buy one if they cared to?

I've owned a couple Gibson LP's and it seems there is a compound recurve to the tops near the binding. I'll check my Bartlett drawings to verify.

Someday I will make a violin, just not soon. My uncle retired to northern Michigan in his 70's and made a violin from wood he locally harvested off his property in Pellston. His oldest son now has that violin and plays it regularly. That was the only instrument he ever made that I know of.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Planned to do one someday, but wanted to rethink the neck angle and bridge/tailpiece height that Gibson used, I think, to incorporate the tooling they already had for arch top acoustics, which they needed for string tension/top pressure for tonal characteristics.

Not so much a consideration for an electric.