Thread: To long

To long

I read somewhere, possibly even here that the best way to store CA Glue is in a freezer. Well I bought some and stuck it in the freezer but got waylaid and it's been in there for a long long time. It seemed to be just fine when I first took it out and started using it but quite quickly turned thick and sticky. Has anyone else noticed this? I wonder if there is anyway to bring it back?
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Peter I keep my CA in the fridge, the last batch I bought from Williamwoodwrite and received it Jan.19 2016, I use small bottles in the shop and refill when empty, never had a problem with doing it this way.

But even if I am not able to use all of it, paid $23.95 for 8 ounces, and Lee Valley charges $17.50 for 2 ounces, 2 fills of 2 ounces would make it worthwhile to go this way.

I think your problem is the condensation you get from such cold conditions, water will trigger the CA to set up, with me keeping the large container in the fridge and filling just a small bottle full, and then keeping it in the shop, the condensation does not occur.

I don’t think you can bring it back Peter
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    ... condensation you get from such cold conditions, water will trigger the CA to set up, ...
    When removing CA from the fridge or freezer I think it is important let the bottle warm up to room temperature before opening it. If you open while cold the moisture in the warmer air can condense on the glue and accelerate the reaction. No way to tell if your problem was due to that or just old age.

Parsons Adhesives, who supplies the CA glue to others who package and sell it, told me the shelf life of their CA glues is typically one year for an unopened bottle, a little longer if kept in the fridge, and (I think he said) 2 years if kept in the freezer.

Something I do for bottles I don't have in cold storage: I keep them in a sealed container with desiccant beads to keep moisture out. I use the blue indicator beads and recharge them in an oven when they turn from blue to pink.

CA_glue_storage_IMG_5481.jpg

This seems to extend the life considerably.

JKJ

Thanks guys, some very good information much appreciated!!!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Blog Entries
    I've got a Vacuum Sealer for foods. Knowing tht moisture messes with CA makes putting it in the freezer not sound so good. I vac-seal mine in a mason jar between uses and store it on a shelf in my home office (next to my shellac) and it lasts to the bitter end. Good tip on the desiccant from John K J.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Very hot summers here in the south lock up my CA's quick--also wipes out belt sander glue joints and masking tapes.

I keep 16oz bottles in the freezer and so far after at least 3 years it is still working fine when I fill a 2 oz bottle.