Page 80 of 100 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 1500

Thread: Vintage Martin T75 restoration

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    That Bourelle Darcy had was sweet!

But you know I really want tersa or insert.

I actually really like the insert in my Felder. Not sure I wouldn’t go tersa stil but I do love the finish being I like my figured woods..

I wNt the Martin though so I can nest properly with my jointer.

Plus I want that outfeed table..

I’m very open to this gomad thing all the sudden. Probably just cuz I airways need to be adding to my shop? Would save tons of money over a new T12 and honestly the t12 is what I’ll do unless a t23 surfaced? The thought of all this work again is also tendon wrenching. I’m sore and tired.

But you know even the gomad I’d just park in my uncles shop and tear down and paint regardless. Not auto body paint this time but still a A+ job just the same..
    Tersa is great, I enjoy mine but they do some at a continuous expense after purchase, same with carbide insert. I'm speaking outside of my experience, but if I had the space and possibility of a machine with an on-board knife grinder I would not be opposed to it at this point. The idea of a fresh edge whenever needed is in fact more appealing to me than the idea of inserts.

I'm at the point now where I have an every-day set of carbide knives and a very fresh set that go in any time a critical board is going through.

Just a thought but I would expect a very slow feed rate combined with the ability to freshen up the knives whenever needed would make for a machine that produced very little (if ever) tearout. Often enough I actually put fresh knives into machine, cut the face with the jointer feeding exceptionally slowly, then use the planer to bring to thickness and leave the jointed face as was without any tearout. Would be nice to be able to simply dial the machine in for that sort of thing.

Every system seems to have some downside.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 11-28-2019 at 3:01 PM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I am still a straight knife fan. Tersa is nice for people that have warm bodies that are not capable of setting knives, its quick, but expensive over the long run.

Grinding rigs are nice, still need to pull and reset every couple grinds and at that point I send those out to get sharpened.

I think the best compromise is a large diameter head, running around 5 to 6k rpm, with 2 spring loaded knives. Quick change over, 2 knives are cheaper than 3 or 4, and cheaper to sharpen, plus at that rpm you still get same cuts per inch as a 4 knife direct drive machine.

Darcy,

Are you calling me a reptile, I sure hope so as I really hope your not insinuating I’m dead.

Honestly the amount of use and for the purpose of 99.9% of my work to date I can get a good couple to few months out of the M whatever knives.

Being everything gets dimensioned oversized then run through a wide belt then orbitaled blah blah blah.

I keep a new set on hand for stain grade work and I’m good.

If that makes me a snake so be it

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I am still a straight knife fan. Tersa is nice for people that have warm bodies that are not capable of setting knives, its quick, but expensive over the long run.

Grinding rigs are nice, still need to pull and reset every couple grinds and at that point I send those out to get sharpened.

I think the best compromise is a large diameter head, running around 5 to 6k rpm, with 2 spring loaded knives. Quick change over, 2 knives are cheaper than 3 or 4, and cheaper to sharpen, plus at that rpm you still get same cuts per inch as a 4 knife direct drive machine.

FYI top is on but I’m cooking and just about to eat!

Any quality shaper would benefit from the Aigner fence, with the swiveling fingers and removable plates.
    Nothing else I have used or seen even comes close. But, they do not give them away.

I have been saying I was gonna buy those plates for years now. Instead I always buy another machine or too. I Still intend to do so.

Honestly I have become keen on wood fences and being able to easily screw stuff to them. I’d still like to get the Ainer though.

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    Any quality shaper would benefit from the Aigner fence, with the swiveling fingers and removable plates.
    Nothing else I have used or seen even comes close. But, they do not give them away.

Well I have the best mom ever. Like really she is the best couldn’t ask for a better one.

She helped me get the cast iron table on today instead of sitting on our rear ends or preparing dinner at a leisurely pace.

The top went pretty well. I was nervous on a couple fronts. The first being the winch hung by 350lb rated I-bolts from one of two giant support beams. You never know. I took it slow lifting it out of the crate and letting it hover like 1” up for a good 10-15 minutes while I got everything ready.

Then I got a couple saw horses under it so it wouldn’t be at near full height without anything under it for long.

F2233C8A-942C-44E4-B514-B32C7E4685CB.jpg

Nothing left to do but get it done. The table is held down with four bolts. Two of these bolts have indexing pins. The tow half moon trunnion pieces on either side of the saw also have indexing pins. Getting the four stars to align is not so easy. It took maybe an hour of back and fourth before they all went. I was getting scared my sequencing may had been botched and that I had missed a crucial step. Ultimately I got both half moons bolted on then seated into the two indexing pins in the cast iron base. The tolerance is no tolerance. Pretty slick vrs say my sawstop that I have also taken totally part to fix the trunnion.

No real pictures of this part or these pins as I was pretty eager to get the table bolted onto the base and off that winch. Kinda scary thinking about everything crashing down but I was “pretty sure” it wouldn’t lol...

14331F75-DA65-429D-A8C9-439FF3A1A80A.jpg

Starting to really look like a saw.

48F6E1D9-15C8-40AB-AEE3-C4C1782037F8.jpg

The saw is getting very heavy again. At this point when I pick it up with the pallet jack it wants to tip over to operators right. Gotta be careful till I get the sliding table base on.

75925D48-5DDC-4A97-A927-8C2E32EBE7B5.jpg

She is just a beauty from any side. The rip fence scale being bubbled up is driving me mad. I think I can glue and clamp it down?

408920D5-0BEA-455B-A5DF-53A765AEB435.jpg

Sadly this washer just shattered. I have no idea how or why. I didn’t know this type of metal I assume steel would even do such. It seats atop a roller bearing that the kip lever indexes used to tighten the trunnion bevel.

11F16C56-3934-4230-B3EE-A7043A39BAD1.jpg

8B71A5C2-B3C5-4AC0-86AB-28A152FB3B42.jpg

Tomorrow the strut goes in. I gotta fine tune the rip fence that travels in ball bearings. Maybe throw the motor in. Finish pluming the oil lines.

Then rub the top to a constant even sheen with a maroon scotch brite and block of MDF. I had it perfect late last winter but this summer after a couple months sitting in my uncles humid shop it had acquired a slight amount of rust in the pits of the cast table. I took a wire wheel to it quick and slathered on more wax.

You will also notice a few bolts and bits and pieces that are not painted or nickel plated. I take those off and clean and paint them or send them off for plating with the hand wheel.

I also hope to tend to the lumber pile where the saw will live and roll her into place.

I have decide also that she is a he. My dogs name is Tank. He is a bulldog, pit bull mastiff mix or a American Bully. I realized looking at pictures of the saw that it looks like and is a as robust as a tank. Having lost one dog last year this time and him getting older I think it’s a suiting name that will vary on his memory and dedication to me.

8A793205-1256-4B9A-976F-0CEF278DF939.jpg

CE8D1A18-5608-46F8-B625-F267E200953E.jpg

Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving.

Blog Entries
    The night is young! Plenty of time to put the sliding table on.

Looks fantastic!

It’s heavy, really really heavy. Not a mom lift. More like a very strong man committed to not dropping or bumping it into my perfect paint job.

I wish I could get it on tonight. Still waiting on a shim washer for the arbor also, best to not burry it further.

Looks terrible right..

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    The night is young! Plenty of time to put the sliding table on.

Looks fantastic!

They are miserable enough for two strong adults.

Blog Entries
    ....making jokes is all.

Brian,

This is a serious thread.

It’s not the place for jokes.

Might I ask you refrain.

Jim could you please do something about this guy he is ruing my thread

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    ....making jokes is all.

This rail may be my big hiccup.

I don’t really know someone strong enough “young enough” and mindful enough to help me do this.

Hmm Brian road trip lol?

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    They are miserable enough for two strong adults.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    B
    Jim could you please do something about this guy he is ruing my thread

I. Didn't. Hear. Anything.

(err...that doesn't' work with my spouse, either...)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...