Page 78 of 100 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 1500

Thread: Vintage Martin T75 restoration

Wow and any idea what like 10x6 or whatever weighs per LF?

How’s the jointer. I went looking for the thread again last night hopeful for a update and I couldn’t find it.

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    Looking good. Sometimes scrapyards or even craigslist/facebook marketplace have used structural steel beams for lots less than new.
    New material runs around $.80-1.00 per pound to give you an idea.

Beams come in different weights for the same outside dimensions. If you write down the lengths of the beams you need, and how much you want to lift from where, along the span, the supplier can help you size the beams, with little trouble. With what you've moved so far, you probably will be surprised that steel beams won't be so bad.

Since the price of scrap metal is so low now, there are probably some sitting around that people want to get rid of.

If you find a local steel suppliers website, they usually have tables/charts that list the sizes and weight per foot.
    For example- a 12WF24 , or possibly labeled a WF1224 would be a 12" tall wide flange beam and weigh 24 lbs per foot. Their system is very intuitive

Thanks a lot guys.

$12 LF doesn’t seem to bad to me.

I figure I gotta make something permanent or well something I can use someday when I get drag all these machines out so it’s not a nightmare. Lift tables are also a option but getting the Interior one tight to the stairs could be a issue.

The plan for the jointer to use a Lull to come over the small black fence atop the stone wall to the left of my shop door I’ll build a platform that goes form when I drop it all the way to the door so I can move it on a pallet jack. Then hook it up to the gantry crane, slide it into the shop and lower it to the floor. Hardest part should be building the thing.

Also renting the Lull will stink..

If you find a local steel suppliers website, they usually have tables/charts that list the sizes and weight per foot.
    For example- a 12WF24 , or possibly labeled a WF1224 would be a 12" tall wide flange beam and weigh 24 lbs per foot. Their system is very intuitive

Total lift height to get it over the fence?

Just pay a local lumberyard with a boom truck to come over and lift over and set, or even pick it up at work, transport, and unload on other side of fence. Probably a $1-200 job.

Not wear I live it’s not a couple hundred.

A crane is a full day even if it only takes a half and $1500. The lull is $500 for the day plus the operators wages for the day so you know at least another $500..

The boom truck won’t work as you can’t get close enough with the truck to the fence.

This happened planting a tree a couple years ago in my yard. Clipped my chimney and from corner of porch. Could have been so much worse. We or they got lucky.

Killed the tree. That was a $5000 acre triflorum. Very rare in that size and pretty much irreapacible.

Plus another $5 for the arborist and crane to pant it.

It was like the same as dropping this saw after all this work was done.

89E43955-64A0-4596-9EFE-570D8803AB14.jpg

7EFCE0A1-8FD1-46C4-BA87-CCA725C0AC1B.jpg

3F6A0CFD-21F6-4EFC-9B3D-715C2ADF98BE.jpg3F6A0CFD-21F6-4EFC-9B3D-715C2ADF98BE.jpg

Just pay a local lumberyard with a boom truck to come over and lift over and set, or even pick it up at work, transport, and unload on other side of fence. Probably a $1-200 job.
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 11-26-2019 at 9:11 PM.

Well then, For that kind of money, I would remove a section of fence, and do the plywood and pallet jack shuffle. The jointer is too wide to fit thru the gate? Hard to believe its any wider than the saw?

The problem with that is the off camber corner rounding into my back yard. Everything wants to tip over at that corner. Jointer would fit through the gate if I take off the fence.

That’s why I was thinking Lull. I’m pretty sure I can rent one myself. I have driven one once like 5’ And that was like five years ago. Or I have a a friend of a a friend with one and i bet that cost $800-1000. It’s nuts how expunge this part of the world is.

Well then, For that kind of money, I would remove a section of fence, and do the plywood and pallet jack shuffle. The jointer is too wide to fit thru the gate? Hard to believe its any wider than the saw?

If you bring the t54 home, are you keeping that felder and using it as a planer or getting a new planer?

I’ll use it for now as I’ll replace it with a new Martin planer. Well maybe lightly used but that’s it. I feel like I see lightly used for $20k at least once a year.

A planer is one of the few machines I really do care to have digital readout on. Otherwise I’d be very excited to buy one of the old Martin monsters I see come up now and then and turn it into a show car, plus I like Teresa knives. I’m to young to have learnt how to change knives with gibs and or however the you do that. Well not to your just got a late start I guess. Honestly with Teresa I see no point in even learning as even if you know what your doing it’s a time suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    If you bring the t54 home, are you keeping that felder and using it as a planer or getting a new planer?

Got the shop reorganized and ready to get the cast iron table on.

It was a major game of Jenga/Tetris back and forth moving everything like 5 times before it could all get to its new temporary homes.

I actually really like where the cabinet saw is. It’s kinda right in the middle of the entry to my shop but there is actually plenty of room to push 24” deep cabs by it. Long term this is the spot envision a T23 sliding table shaper. We will see though. If I like having two saws and I think I will I’ll put the second shaper over on the wall where my chop saw is.

Now I gotta run new duct work some electrical and I think get dust gorilla for the cabinet saw as the duct work to it will be a pita. Plus the Felder stinks being as far away as it is.

7F276FC1-A4B1-4CA1-BFE4-BD22C80D169D.jpg

6D2F27EE-9763-4604-B453-73D92D1D108E.jpg

And the saws new home sans that lumber on the wall bellow table height.

B4282789-CB47-49EB-8A9F-992777D1EE7B.jpg

I’m pretty giddy my shop just got way better.

Happy thanksgiving to all..

Nice progress. I'm sure you feel like you've been visiting CrossFit twice a day at this point...

Dual saws can be nice, but I'm sure you'll be doing the mental gymnastics around whether or not the utility balances the space required as I assume you would "dedicate" that cabinet saw to some particular function, such as ripping. If so, you could narrow it down a bit since the right side table isn't really going to come into play for ripping and the like. Space to actually build things is important! LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I will be having some riving knives made next week for these saws, two different sizes, plus a batch of the mount parts as well.

Darcy put me down for one if everything.

I’d like to be able to run a 12/14/16” blades.

You know I never run a roving knife so it doesn’t matter much what sizes you make but I’m not gonna pass on the opportunity.

Any sense of pricing.

Also if you do do the arbor extension I would also like one..

I’m going to make the overhead a blade guard dust collection arm at some point as a exact replica of the original.

I’d be happy to make them for anyone interested at such a time..

Keep your eyes open for a shelter for me please.

Sliding table or not. Ideally I get the Martin t23 or a t20 with tennon table. I want to get rid of my Felder and replace it with something old and cool “no tennon table” just a big motor and spindle.

There is a sweet old Martin on fleabay but it’s a 1” spindle and it has no fence but something like would be cool. Really I just want a beast for heavy cuts and something worthy of another restoration.

I have a gomad local to me for good money and I’m tempted. It’s just so dam ugly ...

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I will be having some riving knives made next week for these saws, two different sizes, plus a batch of the mount parts as well.