Page 77 of 100 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 1500

Thread: Vintage Martin T75 restoration

Wow

You gotta have at least one picture.

And you can’t just say 30” jointer, you gotta tell us what it is at least.

And yes you either make time or time makes you right..

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    Simple yet effective way to fix that hole.
    I spent some hours myself today putting my 30" jointer together.
    Its rare to have time, I just have to steal it, or it won't get done.

I am documenting it on the OWWM site. But here are a couple, mind you, they do not belong in your thread here in the pursuit of perfection. New bearings, new gibs, new knives, new motor rewind, and newly planed tables.

Original paint.
    IMG_4924.jpg
    IMG_4927.jpg

Don't know how to rotate...
    30" Porter. 6 knife head, but probably using 2,3, or 4.

You can check out Peter's saga with the jointer and tables over at owwm.org. Worth the time. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    You can check out Peter's saga with the jointer and tables over at owwm.org. Worth the time. Dave

And with that you just added one more thing to watch on top of this thread!

Sounds pretty darn perfect to me.

May I ask where you got the tables planed?

I’ll go take a look over there but what inspired this?

I am documenting it on the OWWM site. But here are a couple, mind you, they do not belong in your thread here in the pursuit of perfection. New bearings, new gibs, new knives, new motor rewind, and newly planed tables.

Original paint.
    IMG_4924.jpg
    IMG_4927.jpg

Don't know how to rotate...
    30" Porter. 6 knife head, but probably using 2,3, or 4.

After a failed attempt by an outfit in RI, I brought them to Jefferson Iron Works in Ferndale, MI. Excellent work!
    Tables had a .040" wallow wore into the center of the table- probably had a powerfeed mounted on it in the past.

Just read your whole thread.

Holly smokes man like you in my younger years I would had ended up in a RI jail cell. But you know to much to loose at this point.

I’m very sorry but you know it looks like in the Ned you will get exactly what you wanted.

And by the way, now you have me wanting to drag my table out and have it tended to. How sweet would my saw be with brand new planed tables. But you know I don’t know what I don’t know and how taking any amount off it might affect adjusting the sliding table.

I also have no real idea how flat it is or isn’t other than having thrown a straight edge and some feeler gauges at it. Sounds like the money portion is not big deal but the time to drive to Michigan would be a real chore.

But man I’d love some crisp new tables.

After a failed attempt by an outfit in RI, I brought them to Jefferson Iron Works in Ferndale, MI. Excellent work!
    Tables had a .040" wallow wore into the center of the table- probably had a powerfeed mounted on it in the past.

Blog Entries
    If your table passes a flatness test I wouldn't touch it, that said.... Peter's tables came out fantastically! It's nice to know that there is a company that can handle large planing projects and do so with excellence.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Jointers and tablesaws obviously are completely different animals. A jointer is supposed to "make flat and straight" for further processing. If the jointer is not flat and straight, it makes it very difficult to make flat and straight for the next processes.

That said, every one of my older Martin machines came with beautiful planed tables from the factory, and the planer marks were fully visible and tables quite flat still. It is hard to wear a table saw out of spec without a powerfeeder contributing to it, for years.
    Likely if your planer marks are present and in decent shape, your tables are plenty flat.

Don't get distracted now, you are almost there. Carry on, I'm waiting for the finish....

Peter,

Felder gave me a crash course lesson on the specifics regarding jointer tables and their need to be flat. I didn’t ask for it but I got it like it or not.

I totally understand that a table saw would probably not see the same wear nor would it be quite as important the table are perfectly flat.

My tables if you remember have some nasty stains and pitting form a can or two or maybe even saw blade being left on them for a extended period of time. I’d love for that all to be gone. The saw would really be pretty much brand new if I did plane tables.

I don’t want to come across as a all show kinda guy. But I’ll be the first one to admit I’m a “show and go” kinda guy and not ashamed to admit it.

Jointers and tablesaws obviously are completely different animals. A jointer is supposed to "make flat and straight" for further processing. If the jointer is not flat and straight, it makes it very difficult to make flat and straight for the next processes.

That said, every one of my older Martin machines came with beautiful planed tables from the factory, and the planer marks were fully visible and tables quite flat still. It is hard to wear a table saw out of spec without a powerfeeder contributing to it, for years.
    Likely if your planer marks are present and in decent shape, your tables are plenty flat.

Don't get distracted now, you are almost there. Carry on, I'm waiting for the finish....

Well I’m really on a roll. You know what that means. Normally when all is going well it’s all going well the sky is about to start falling.

We had a beautiful day forecasted today with temps in the 60’s. I went to work at the but crack so I could leave a bit early with the intention of getting the table top into my shop.

I had brought a engine lift home yesterday.

Table safely out of the back of my van.

DFF6FD72-9DED-4800-B91D-060D081C6322.jpg

Now for the arduous trip through my nightmare of a yard. Don’t get me wrong I love my yard but what was I thinking?

EF38AE88-6FC4-494D-B930-632B9C688038.jpg

Table has to stand up on edge to get through the gate and also my shop door. The engine lift was the plan. It ended up being kinda scary as the engine lift just wanted to tip over sideways until the table was upright. I resulted to man power. Well I resulted to just standing the darn thing up by myself. The table is heavy, real heavy but not impossible. Once up I strapped it to the engine lift and wheel it through the door.

My next problem was how the hell to get it back on the ground without the engine lift tipping over. I couldn’t move it on just the engine lift through my yard as the whole thing would surely tip over.

Thank god for levers. I screwed a long 2x4 to the bottom of the crate and honestly it was a piece of cake to lay down.

A17B0AB9-FBC4-40E6-BB86-7FBEA5ABF8DE.jpg

Now the pain in the ars part, shuffling plywood and keeping a pallet jack on the plywood.

BD84894C-899E-4163-9537-661CD527BB3E.jpg

The next pain in the rear end part. I opted to do this the hard way and not use the engine lift. I didn’t feel like shuffling more plywood. I probably should have as this part took me about 45 minutes.

5043D4DD-6772-4E13-A389-C3166090F857.jpg

On the platform and feeling positive that the end is near.

3C25BC78-F710-4C84-8E3A-AFDF3175B73E.jpg

Another serious dead lift. Screws cleats on the side I was lifting towards so the whole table would not just slide right off the platform.

F82FC793-9CAE-4F6C-B254-4B7A8F5D4525.jpg

The handy dandy triangle things worked a charm.

FDDE61BA-E45A-4D13-9C23-9326770A6BB0.jpg

Just gotta get the darn thing off the ramp and onto the floor. To my surprise this part was hard as the leading edge just got jammed up. I didn’t want to just restless it in fear the table would crash to the ground.

I screwed another lever to the bottom of the crate. Then 1-2-3 the table was on the ground and safely in my shop.

CB375518-515B-4D42-8A8E-053C643F8DA9.jpg

Then the big cleanup. I can’t express just how much work goes into all this. Be it making the jigs. Dragging a engine lift home. Just moving the lumber off the ramp and assembling the ramp is a major chore. Probably took 2 hrs to clean up after the table was in my shop.

But I’m gonna have my shop back soon and all this lumber back on the wall. I can’t tell you how excited I am about that. I just hate a mess and my shop is driving me nuts the last week.

A8C25AF1-2507-465B-A14F-EA243BD1ABF8.jpg

Lumber off saw, back on wall and ready to peel open the crate.

00CECB51-9DD0-4210-8914-4045EDDD353B.jpg

Looking back at the other side off my shop. I just have machines everywhere.

BD84C3D1-ECAA-45AD-BBA2-EBBB90FBD509.jpg

At least I can get to my door again.

4A889687-0225-4859-B778-5C15692001CA.jpg

I’ll be so glad to not have to deal with that ramp again for a while. Although I am having a serious impulse to find another shaper ASAP.

So next the sawstop needs to move to where that pile of lumber is between my washer/dryer and furnace. Then all that lumber and some more needs to be stacked atop the saw till I can figure out where it’s gonna go. Then the Martin can roll over near the winch. Lift the table up, roll the base under, lower it down, throw four bolts in it and there you have.

I’ll the deal with the umber on the wall the saw is gonna be on. And I’ll tear down the wall I have a clamp rack on dividing up my shop. Once that’s all done I can put the sliding table on and get out the dial indicators.

I’m tired, real tired but so happy to have nothing left to move. Well actually the Martin jointer but that’s a whole nother thing. The plan for that now is to build gantry crane out of I-beam. It will be lagged into my floor and beefy enough I can have the main beam extend out my basement door so the winch can just slide out, pick up the machine, slide it in, lower it to the ground and put on a pallet jack. But you know I bet the I beam is very expensive. Then I gotta make the thing.

And a profile shot of my baby. I think this is her good side?

E462153F-4A56-444E-8FFB-3155285078A1.jpg

Maybe it’s just all the work and money I have spent on this saw but I’m so in love with it it’s stupid. I can just sit and stare at it and my mind melts away. I have to remind myself to stop being a nerd and go sit on the couch and relax for 30 seconds.

Looking good. Sometimes scrapyards or even craigslist/facebook marketplace have used structural steel beams for lots less than new.
    New material runs around $.80-1.00 per pound to give you an idea.
    Last edited by peter gagliardi; 11-26-2019 at 7:38 PM.