Page 76 of 100 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,140 of 1500

Thread: Vintage Martin T75 restoration

Peter,

I was hopeful you would chime in again. You never know if maybe people move on for whatever reason.

You are more than welcome anytime to visit. If you find yourself in my area just shoot me a pm. I’ll get you my contact info.

Honestly I bet it’s still a couple more if not a few months before the saw is completed and powered up.

I still have to have the hand wheel plated. Along with a few other odds and ends plated. I have to have the scales made for the hand wheel and I hope the rip fence. Then I have to tend to my electrical service, then a phase converter. And sadly I’m not in a place where I can just dump into this all at once. Well I could but I’m not going to as I have so much change going on. When everything settles I’ll be fine with that behavior, right now not so much.

How have you been, life good, work good. Busy I assume?

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    I did not have the benefit of shims, a hydraulic press, or even a gooseneck, but I did somehow manage to do it, with no tools I can recall, and pretty sure I was alone, so its possible.
    I remember disassembly as being a bit dicey, but not so much with assembly, once I knew the springs power.
    I still want to see that saw close up.
    It is a very fine restored example of that particular saw!

I recently spent a grand on a Felder FAT 300. Now that I Used it for a few weeks, the thing is actually kinda worth it. I don’t know if I’d drop $2k on the sucker, but it is 11x better than the harbor freight cart. Holds a ton of weight, it’s somehow not too big and not too small. It’s the perfect size.

A very productive day. This thing is just flying together. I’m gonna come to standstill soon waiting on odds and ends.mi really did not expect this to happen so fast. I’m konda like a kid on Christmas morning putting together his new toy. No I’m exactly like a kid on Christmas morning putting together his new toys. No mom I don’t wanna go to Nana and papas house for dinner!

Electrical.

CC0F5653-F121-4845-9B2F-111A1AA88532.jpg

I need to find a solution for a new rubber shroud or a button that fits the existing slot. I also need some kind of dummy that fits the hole to the right. I suspect that was for a scoring motor but my saw does not have scoring. I’m not quite sure why Martin did not make tow housings. Worst case I put a sticker over it?

Not to gloat but this machine is just beyond beautiful.

83599D80-B8E8-400B-8A35-34171E7DC6E9.jpg

Stated to get the plumbing done. The machine like all Martins has a]oil ports all over it. The engineering is so simple but also so thought out and well done. No frills but no expense or detail spaired. I love Martin machines, really I just love them.

681AB3A1-9770-488E-886C-A491F2BA5D85.jpg

BCC240E3-AD2C-4A90-BBFB-EB006C97F32D.jpg

BEA62FA0-E870-4016-A8A6-3A4E352B77D6.jpg

There are bits and pieces in the saw “hardware” that will come off and go to the plater.

It’s been a day of detective work if nothing else. A huge process of elimination regarding the giant pile of nuts bolts and washers. The pile had gotten very small. The remaining odds and ends have me stumped at this point. With many more pieces to put on yet “the sliding table, motor, outrigger table, cast table I’m sure their homes will reveal themself.

155D0298-4014-4B88-9A74-6F26DBC78F7B.jpg

3A814C07-A34F-4D58-98DF-9402369F98E9.jpg

And now dinner and family.

Tomorrow I’ll try and press together the motor and arbor. After that I’m in a holding pattern until the cast top can get into the house. I have figured out that my saw is a bit different than the T17 in that the cast top and trunnion is secured a bit different. As a result the top has to go on then the strut in.

Well more tomorrow. Hope everyone is enjoying as much as I am. I must have spend a good few hours today just staring at then machine. I’m in love like a pimple faced little boy.

So if you didn’t spend a grand on it what did you spend. I’m sure I’ll like having the cart. I use carts at work daily and have gotten very use to them. In my small shop a fat whatever or the Barth tables would be just way to big. I’d rather have more machines.

Wish I could have both though

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    I recently spent a grand on a Felder FAT 300. Now that I Used it for a few weeks, the thing is actually kinda worth it. I don’t know if I’d drop $2k on the sucker, but it is 11x better than the harbor freight cart. Holds a ton of weight, it’s somehow not too big and not too small. It’s the perfect size.

No, I did spend a grand on it. $800 and then ushipped it up from South Carolina. It retails for $1800ish, I think.

How big is your shop? I bet it’s bigger than mine. I’m in the basement of a 1300sf ranch with a laundry room and furnace separate from the tools. After you factor in that room and the stairs, I have about 700sf. That’s what I meant, the cart isn’t small but it’s also not huge. I can easily maneuver it and my workpieces throughout my cramped space. Just this morning I moved a 4x8 island from the garage where I sprayed it back into my shop. That would be beyond my abilities without the cart. Was cake with the cart. Just sliding from sawhorses onto a cart.

Looking forward to seeing it complete. You will have to post a video of it in action when you eventually
    Fire it up.

Looking great. I’m really enjoying this.
    This is better than Christmas morning.

Hmm,

I think our shops are probably the same exact size. My house is like 1650 sq ft but the first floor is 1100. I also have furnace and laundry in my shop along with stairs. What I’d give for just those 200-300 sq ft. Sadly nothing’s gonna change.

I can see your point on the island. But did you really build a 4x8’ island as a single piece. That’s a monster to have to move. I sure hope it only needs to make it into your kitchen. You must have a double door or sliding door to get it through?

You all May have a point. I may have to reconsider. I can see many instances where I wouldn’t need help anymore to get something off my bench. But honestly building just cabinets I have grow very accustomed to building right on the floor. Just build everything square then shim it level and plumb to fit the doors.

$800 doesn’t sound bad. Those Barth ones start at like $2500 and go up to like 5-10k don’t they?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    No, I did spend a grand on it. $800 and then ushipped it up from South Carolina. It retails for $1800ish, I think.

How big is your shop? I bet it’s bigger than mine. I’m in the basement of a 1300sf ranch with a laundry room and furnace separate from the tools. After you factor in that room and the stairs, I have about 700sf. That’s what I meant, the cart isn’t small but it’s also not huge. I can easily maneuver it and my workpieces throughout my cramped space. Just this morning I moved a 4x8 island from the garage where I sprayed it back into my shop. That would be beyond my abilities without the cart. Was cake with the cart. Just sliding from sawhorses onto a cart.

Looking forward to seeing it complete. You will have to post a video of it in action when you eventually
    Fire it up.

Yes it is. It’s like Christmas morning was when you were a kid all over again.

I have not had so much fun in a long time. You know the restoration was not what I would call fun “not that I was not into it when I was doing it” I was but it was pure down and dirty grunt work.

I’ll do this again but I’m in no rush and I’d only do it again for a t23 sliding table. Otherwise I just but a new T12.

It’s was soooooooo much work what I did. Had I just gone with a regular enamel it would had been light years faster all be it still a pile of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delyster View Post
    Looking great. I’m really enjoying this.
    This is better than Christmas morning.

Regarding the table lift, one of those high lift scissor type pallet jacks could probably do just as well with a purpose built slip-on table built for it. Take the table off, and you have a very capable pallet jack up to around 2000-2500 lbs.
    Just another option with more functionality- might be priced the same or less...

Not a bad thought. I can add to my hobby woodworker collection of pallet jacks lol.

Thanks to the three of you I have successfully wasted way more time looking a table lifts that I would had expected just hours again when I said something about not be willing to spend a pile of cash on one.

What I have determined is the Felder tables at least look pretty nice. It pains me to say so much. The high end Barth are clearly nice but $10K forget it now this guy. For $10 I could have way more useful and exciting machinery, or just the $10 in my bank account where it should be. The lower end Barth don’t look half as nice at the low end Felder.

Point is for $800 it seems you got a great deal as the least expensive Felder I found was $1500 with a 600 capacity. Personally I’d want the 1000lb capacity and then even the Felder is way more money than I’m willing to spend on a cart with wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    Regarding the table lift, one of those high lift scissor type pallet jacks could probably do just as well with a purpose built slip-on table built for it. Take the table off, and you have a very capable pallet jack up to around 2000-2500 lbs.
    Just another option with more functionality- might be priced the same or less...

Well that’s a wrap. At least for the weekend. It’s time to watch football and be a lazy human.

I spent most of my morning with the pooch.

I decided to take a crack at getting the motor back together. Months ago I attempted assembling it using the oven trick to get the bearings onto the spindle sand press. It didn’t go so well do to a specific sequence everything need be out together. I almost had decided to bring the motor to a motor shop and just let them deal with it.

Last minute I figured out I need a press get the spring into the strut that produces back pressure on the trunnion for the blade bevel. I figured why not try one more time.

To my surprise it was easy peasy 1-2-3.. nothing like having the right tools. But you know as a lover of tools I know all about that lesson like a meat head at times try to Will my way through the obvious.

Figuring it out.

8ABD0264-E5A6-438C-B8AA-2C22B68E3C81.jpg

Think I got it now.

60E21217-CA84-4B9E-9F8F-AAD514F66F93.jpg

All is going well baring a few nasty gashes on my hands.

81FBE151-34CB-4312-8AF9-3873C49BB473.jpg

And that’s a wrap easy peasy. Not sure what I made such a fuss about.

E51BDA46-1602-4A4A-8E9C-D9A820309DD7.jpg

Another work of art. Well craft I guess.

CB689E17-5F02-493B-9BDA-D2BBC73D5B18.jpg

Like a kid I totally could not help slide the outrigger support arm on.

This piece has a couple imperfections in the paint. I’m half tempted to re paint it. A wet sand and polish may be in order due to one minor run in the paint.

Otherwise it looks pretty darn nice. I decided to nickel plate a few pieces on this that were just paint from the factory.

0785B182-F386-4BF7-B942-5EBA00805D8E.jpg

6CC3FC29-70B3-4299-9586-024D932C00EB.jpg

The parts pile has become quite small. I almost have my master bedroom addition that’s unfinished empty of the machine parts. It had been their storage shed for a number of months while I worked on the exterior of the house. Nice to see it empty and the saw coming together so I can get to completing the project this winter. The doors I made are so sweet. It’s gonna be some space when I’m done.

So the plan is to drag the engine lift home tomorrow after work. Then the cast table Wednesday. Maybe drag it in to the house Wednesday. Chances are it won’t come in until Friday with the holiday and all. It’s gonna kill me to leave it sitting in my van in the driveway and not just get to it.

I have a few odds and ends to tend to to keep this moving. Just little bits and pieces thatnif I don’t keep checking off the list will just put off the thing getting done. I’d like to be done with everything I can by next weekend. At such point I’ll be waiting for parts back from the plater. The scales for the hand wheel from the engraver and the kick stop repair form Brian.

My guess is I’ll be lucky to get any of that stuff before Christmas. Again at this point it’s gonna kill me to wait. In all reality it’s no matter as I can’t get electricity the machine to February at the soonest.

My precious...

I think that’s gonna be its name..

A7DCDBFE-566F-4EC5-9FB3-983DEE78F103.jpg

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=se21HBRG_YI

Teresa magnet maybe a solution for the extra hole in the electrical panel.

The small hole above the on off I figured out today for a reset/trip switch.

C63A700D-6E48-41F4-AFF8-6DF279996570.jpg

Simple yet effective way to fix that hole.
    I spent some hours myself today putting my 30" jointer together.
    Its rare to have time, I just have to steal it, or it won't get done.