Page 13 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Martin T75 restoration

Had a friend who would get mad if someone said "he was behaving like an animal" Lots of animals behave better than humans. My female sheepdog sometimes had issues with some other female dogs, likely she thought they were prettier than her. Case it was an animal behaving like a human.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    We've been almost wiped out many times. It'll likely happen again, if not completely.
    Hope to get a few more powder days before the big one!

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Most everything is on my IG feed.

There is a fine line I try to toe between a complete rebuild and a through mechanical clean up.

Of course its completely up to the customer, they get whatever they are willing to pay for.

Thank you, I do my best.
    That is the smart way Darcy. I spent some time looking at rebuilt window machines at Engilfried in Germany. They clean, replace bearings and other parts as needed and update electronics. I asked him about repainting and he said it would push the price over what a new machine would cost and not be practical in a business sense.
    That said, I do not regret the 2 machines I have gone totally through. When you add up the hours it would never be possible to sell and recover the cost. Just have to use them and enjoy.

Blog Entries
    I recently went through your Martin shaper thread, Joe. Beautifully done!

Certainly, tons of hours in these machines to restore them, plus materials. Many thought-hours as well, just hunting down some odd thing or what not. Used to happen to me with cars all the time also, just seem to spend forever planning basic things like fuel lines or wiring details.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 11-21-2018 at 1:25 PM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    If Yellowstone ever goes I'm only slightly less screwed than you. I think we're supposed to only get 4-6 of ash here.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I recently went through your Martin shaper thread, Joe. Beautifully done!

Certainly, tons of hours in these machines to restore them, plus materials. Many thought-hours as well, just hunting down some odd thing or what not. Used to happen to me with cars all the time also, just seem to spend forever planning basic things like fuel lines or wiring details.
    If you're completely restoring a machine, you're doing it because you like working on machines and you want to be proud of it when you're done.

Brian, if you enjoy cars, and judging from your maka thread, you might be crazy enough to enjoy watching a series of videos on YouTube where two guys are taking a Mini and putting the engine and drive line from a awd Toyota Celica into it. Search for "Bad Obsession Motorsports" or "project Binky" Those guys are nuts

Warren

ThT is also a very common held belief and my household and one That must come up at least monthly.

Imop animals are way ahead of us. We seem to be pretty good at screwing up every dam good thing. Animals not so much imop.

If the average employee politician could or gave a crap to out think me and or be one thought ahead of me like my dogs can. Animals also have a inate way of always knowing what’s up both physicaly and emotionally and well just in general on all fronts.

It’s pretty impressive animals do with ease what most of us can’t do in a lifetime. Are they limited in other ways I guess but I’d say they are far more advanced than humans on what counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Had a friend who would get mad if someone said "he was behaving like an animal" Lots of animals behave better than humans. My female sheepdog sometimes had issues with some other female dogs, likely she thought they were prettier than her. Case it was an animal behaving like a human.

Yeah and I hope I can just get this machine to shine then make a few things to be proud of.

I’m not suggesting I’m ready to off myself, just saying we are not all that impressive in my eyes and I think the earth is much more beautiful without the mess we have made.

But I’m a hippy. Your from Colorado you know my type

Joe,

I have inquired about a few machines on Machinio and Machine seeker and the such. I never ever hear back. How do you make contact with European sellers?

I think importing a shaper could be a good move for me. Really I should just pony up for the new T12 with tenon table and stick building stuff as apposed to screwing around with machines. It’s not really that much money lol. I’ll just drive my 08 Frontier with 109,000 on it for another ten years till it his 200000k...

That is the smart way Darcy. I spent some time looking at rebuilt window machines at Engilfried in Germany. They clean, replace bearings and other parts as needed and update electronics. I asked him about repainting and he said it would push the price over what a new machine would cost and not be practical in a business sense.
    That said, I do not regret the 2 machines I have gone totally through. When you add up the hours it would never be possible to sell and recover the cost. Just have to use them and enjoy.

THIS...

Can’t wait to make it like brand new. Fingers crossed I don’t break something then screw myself from ever being able to use it without finding a replacement part. I’m pretty scared to get that spring out and back in without killing myself or more importantly cracking a cast..

If you're completely restoring a machine, you're doing it because you like working on machines and you want to be proud of it when you're “
    Brian, if you enjoy cars, and judging from your maka thread, you might be crazy enough to enjoy watching a series of videos on YouTube where two guys are taking a Mini and putting the engine and drive line from a awd Toyota Celica into it. Search for "Bad Obsession Motorsports" or "project Binky" Those guys are nuts
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 11-21-2018 at 6:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    If you're completely restoring a machine, you're doing it because you like working on machines and you want to be proud of it when you're done.

Hah, that seems like a weird thing to do, I’ll have to check it out. Thank you!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    THIS...

Can’t wait to make it like brand new. Fingers crossed I don’t break something then screw myself from ever being able to use it without finding a replacement part. I’m pretty scared to get that spring out and back in without killing myself or more importantly cracking a cast..
    Here's my take on it. Somebody put it together at some point, so you should be able to put it back together. You just might do it wrong sixty times....

I don't really sweat stuff breaking either. Unless it's from a dummy move, but even then, it was made once it can be made again. And likely made better than the original since you have hindsight on your side.

In no particular order, the four tradesman preventing the cabinetmaker apocalypse.

The machinist
    The fabricator
    The electrician
    The electrical engineer.

Become friends with all of them and every problem has a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Joe,

I have inquired about a few machines on Machinio and Machine seeker and the such. I never ever hear back. How do you make contact with European sellers?

I think importing a shaper could be a good move for me. Really I should just pony up for the new T12 with tenon table and stick building stuff as apposed to screwing around with machines. It’s not really that much money lol. I’ll just drive my 08 Frontier with 109,000 on it for another ten years till it his 200000k...
    Patrick,
    It is a possibility but you have to be careful. I have imported one new machines and a few accessories directly and getting them here can be full of unexpected costs. I think the best way is to go look at the machines in person. Most of the sellers do not take email enquires from the US seriously. I always thought a few machines shipped in a small container would be the most economically way to buy Euro vintage. The voltage can be dealt with easily but 50hz might present problems on some machines.
    here is one I have considered. They are usually 4 to 8000 euro depending on condition
    https://files.hoechsmann.com/lexikon...sf.pdf?lang=en

Joe,

Wow that thing is funky. Almost steam punkish, please don’t let tht comment make you think I’m into steam punk. Nothing against it but it would paint the wrong picture of me lol..

So I take it one side squaresmthe stock with the blade then copes. Then move to the other side to stick?

Pretty slick either way. Would you really use that in your shop for the work you do or is it just something you just gotta or wanna have because.

Patrick,
    It is a possibility but you have to be careful. I have imported one new machines and a few accessories directly and getting them here can be full of unexpected costs. I think the best way is to go look at the machines in person. Most of the sellers do not take email enquires from the US seriously. I always thought a few machines shipped in a small container would be the most economically way to buy Euro vintage. The voltage can be dealt with easily but 50hz might present problems on some machines.
    here is one I have considered. They are usually 4 to 8000 euro depending on condition
    https://files.hoechsmann.com/lexikon...sf.pdf?lang=en

Patrick,
    No idea what steam punk is so don’t worry.
    Its a small angular machine for window and door making. Tenoning shaft with saw, powered table and Festo style length fence. Profiling shaft with glass bead removal saw, large power feed and support arms for outside profiling frames.
    Okoma was started by former Baurele employees and invented the first angle machines. Later put out of business when the patents ran out and Weinig and others started making that type machine.

This would not be an improvement over what I have but I think they are cool!