Page 11 of 67 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 999

Thread: Vintage Martin T75 restoration

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Beantown
    Posts
    1,696
    Well looks like all my talk of the t23 might just have motivated someone else considering the machine to beat me to it.

    It’s no longer listed on wood web. I suppose one vintage machine at a time is plenty considering my list of todo’s...

    Still kinda sad

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central WI
    Posts
    5,204
    Those pictures make me want to get back in the hunt for the tenoning table for my T21. I have three sliding table shapers but the old Martin doesn't look complete without the table. Dave

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Huntington, Vermont
    Posts
    890
    Patrick, I can assure you that someone with your abilities would not starve in northern VT or midcoast ME. No doubt there is not as much high end work as around Boston, but there are shops making it doing good work, a lot of it for second homes owned by Massholes and other flatlanders. Life is too short to live in a hellhole.

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Beantown
    Posts
    1,696
    Kevin,

    I don’t quite know how to respond so I’ll start with one fo a few thoughts.

    First, I couldn’t of put it so eloquently if I said it myself.

    Second, are you sure not reading my mind.

    Third, you don’t say. I know of Birdseye up I think I your way as I used to work for a company that built a house for a client that used Birdseye for his second home or rather third or fourth home actually up your way. This client told me he could eaily get me a job if I really wanted to relocate. I then sold a bandsaw to a guy that actually previously worked for Birdseye but was now on his own.

    I guess I assume the job market a bit tighter up there and you had better be well connected up both if you need to be well connected down here.

    Beyond that and I have spent a fair amount of time in Vermont both recreating and with friends that were native Vermonters I’m told most northern are not very welcoming of outsiders.

    I’m well aware there is a market of second home owners retirees and the well to do in all these locations. My fear is just there are more people vying for these jobs and when the market turns “and I bet it does in the next number of years” it’s gonna be pretty hard to get by.

    I also have zero interest in doing anything other than shop based work. I’ll instal but not if it’s my daily gig as I really don’t enjoy it even the slightest. Sadly I’m really good at it. I’m just over dusty, dirty, cold job sites with three people doing something different in the same space, crap everywhere, move this, now move that, your in my way, I’m in your way and a GC whom could care less what kinda pain in yur butt it is or isn’t mad just wants it done yesterday and it better be perfect.

    But I’m all in on the Masshole thing. Just went out to get a coffee on a Sunday afternoon and walk my dog and I nearly lost my mind!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Patrick, I can assure you that someone with your abilities would not starve in northern VT or midcoast ME. No doubt there is not as much high end work as around Boston, but there are shops making it doing good work, a lot of it for second homes owned by Massholes and other flatlanders. Life is too short to live in a hellhole.

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Huntington, Vermont
    Posts
    890
    Patrick,

    No doubt you are right that the market is smaller up here. I don't know if it is harder to get by in hard times up here or not, I just know that I have gotten by and expect to in the future. Seems like there is usually space for someone with talent and a good attitude. Joe Calhoon seems to make it in the wilds of Ouray, CO and I get the impression that he takes a day off for skiing when he wants to, as I do. Everything is a tradeoff, I choose to live where I can walk out my door into the woods and go a couple of miles before I hit a road. I'm not trying to sell you on it, just saying it's not that big a reach.

    It's funny you mention Birdseye. I worked in their shop 4 miles down the road for 14 years before going back on my own, and still sub some jobs for them. Yeah, it included installs, but 98% of it was shop work. Plenty of straight casework, veneer, doors and the occasional piece of furniture. They have a well regarded architectural studio, so there are some interesting challenges from that end. There are always compromises in making it good enough and keeping the cost in line, but they walk the line pretty well most days.

    On my bandsaw is a quote from a Wooden Boat interview with a boatbuilder from New Hampshire, Bud Macintosh, that goes something like: " About the only thing you can say about an oldtimer who has survived a miserable occupation like this is that you have finally learned the balance between how good it should be and what they'll pay for, and how good it has to be before you lose your reputation." Unless their spouse works for Goldman Sachs I imagine everybody in the trades has to learn that balance.

    Anyway, good luck shoehorning all that equipment into your basement!
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 11-18-2018 at 5:46 PM.

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Beantown
    Posts
    1,696
    Started looking online again at propert in and around the mad river valley or Burlington.

    Ideally I’d buy a lot if land and build.

    I know the area pretty well. I raced bicycles for a number of years in my 20’s and had team mates that were native Vermonters and or UVM students and or professors. Dated a girl for the better part of a year from Burlington and kinda lived up there half the week.

    Any suggestions as where to look these days if you did want to buy. I’m thinking Vergens, Hinseburg, and the like. Mostly stuff that’s just outside where second home owners want to be. It was about 15,years ago now since I was spending time that way. I assume much has changed since. Ideally I’d be on 15-20 acres and no more than 45 minutes to Burlington. Not that there is really anything in Burlington I need.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Patrick,

    No doubt you are right that the market is smaller up here. I don't know if it is harder to get by in hard times up here or not, I just know that I have gotten by and expect to in the future. Seems like there is usually space for someone with talent and a good attitude. Joe Calhoon seems to make it in the wilds of Ouray, CO and I get the impression that he takes a day off for skiing when he wants to, as I do. Everything is a tradeoff, I choose to live where I can walk out my door into the woods and go a couple of miles before I hit a road. I'm not trying to sell you on it, just saying it's not that big a reach.

    It's funny you mention Birdseye. I worked in their shop 4 miles down the road for 14 years before going back on my own, and still sub some jobs for them. Yeah, it included installs, but 98% of it was shop work. Plenty of straight casework, veneer, doors and the occasional piece of furniture. They have a well regarded architectural studio, so there are some interesting challenges from that end. There are always compromises in making it good enough and keeping the cost in line, but they walk the line pretty well most days.

    On my bandsaw is a quote from a Wooden Boat interview with a boatbuilder from New Hampshire, Bud Macintosh, that goes something like: " About the only thing you can say about an oldtimer who has survived a miserable occupation like this is that you have finally learned the balance between how good it should be and what they'll pay for, and how good it has to be before you lose your reputation." Unless their spouse works for Goldman Sachs I imagine everybody in the trades has to learn that balance.

    Anyway, good luck shoehorning all that equipment into your basement!

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    48,799
    Patrick, realtor.com and zillow.com can be helpful for you to see what's on the market in the areas you want to consider.
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Beantown
    Posts
    1,696
    Scoured them clean.

    I always wonder if they track everything listed for sale or if your missing a bunch of stuff by not actually contacting local realtors..

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Patrick, realtor.com and zillow.com can be helpful for you to see what's on the market in the areas you want to consider.

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    377
    I think most major offices have their multi-list linked to zillow/realtor.com etc. So no, you shouldnt be missing much of anything thats being listed. That said, on the buyer's side, there really isnt anything to be lost by having an agent.

    You should substitute bonsai for your garden trees. i can pick up and move my trees, but i cant really sit in their shade.

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Beantown
    Posts
    1,696
    Sadly I’ve got a pretty bad Bonsai habit also.

    Wish I had better pictures of my good trees but I don’t..

    29117B74-8E7D-42C5-A5FA-20295B6D2DC7.jpg758923F4-D632-4C62-9A33-6DA75DFBE8D9.jpg3587E149-9B1A-4205-B170-E873185CEFA5.jpg2F6761E8-B1DB-4E10-9601-20BA9B24BA21.jpg905FFECA-9439-4BE1-9971-735C2A67289A.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    I think most major offices have their multi-list linked to zillow/realtor.com etc. So no, you shouldnt be missing much of anything thats being listed. That said, on the buyer's side, there really isnt anything to be lost by having an agent.

    You should substitute bonsai for your garden trees. i can pick up and move my trees, but i cant really sit in their shade.

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    5,858
    Blog Entries
    7
    Those trees are gorgeous!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Beantown
    Posts
    1,696
    That’s nothing Brian,

    Those photos do them no justice.

    995BE90F-B6F0-4AB6-914B-B6A45E63B7DE.jpg

    0C93ACCC-87F2-4B85-B26B-7A1A4C0D591A.jpg

    8D7AEAFB-8785-4518-93CA-582ECEB2D8ED.jpg

    DB22FBBA-4ECB-41BD-9CD2-59408E58D36A.jpg

    C9EACC2F-0119-484E-9190-D1D8514DBD1C.jpg

    6500lb acer triflorum

    E7A448B2-34B4-4149-8096-ED7F55D45498.jpg

    Niwaki scots Pine..

    CDCEFEC3-938D-405B-9EDB-91D886152BCE.jpg

    My baby, lions head Japanese maple or shisyshashigralagralgral or something like that lol



    EEAB08C6-6CA3-4084-BD67-34BDA0E06356.jpg



    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Those trees are gorgeous!

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Beantown
    Posts
    1,696
    Styled and bent the crap out of this larch last year and sadly killed it

    E46FD947-98F1-42B5-BF89-9CF390C795A5.jpg

    0EE895C8-D5F3-4096-8419-A6DA349265A7.jpg

    Again these pictures do the trees no justice. They have all bow been in the ground for a good five years. I have quite a few more I have not shared pictures of as they are very hard to get good pictures of.

    It will be really really hard to leave this all behind. I really should had stuck to Bonsai. Only issue with Bonsai is its real easy to spend 10K on a tree. At least the ones I put in the ground cost I think at most 5-6K a piece. Most like 3k I’d say a piece without planting yada yada..

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    5,858
    Blog Entries
    7
    Mine are mainly $25 pre bonsai, I planted two of the black pines and have been working them into Niwaki, two more in pots and s couple others.

    You’re garden looks great, if you sell you should stipulate that it comes with you.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Beantown
    Posts
    1,696
    I also have a fair amount of pre Bonsai. That is where I started then I got carried away.

    Well not so much compared to some, I have been to people’s gardens with 100-300 trees. I think I have like 20 trees, maybe 30. Half are pre Bonsai or $3-500 trees. Stuff that’s really no big deal to purchaseby Bonsai standard if you have the bug.

    My problem has become that the longer I have been into Bonsai the more expensive my taste has become. I remember the first tree I spent like $350-500 on. I thought I was nuts. Now I see trees in the $5000-10000K range and start talking myself into buying them telling myself I’m not being completely nuts to spend that kind of money on a tree. That it’s mkney well spent as I’ll have it forever yada yada and people spend money on stuff they have nothing to show for in the Ned all the time and at least I don’t do that. It’s a huge scam I run on myself.

    Now don’t go thinking I have a whole garden of $5-10K trees as I don’t. I have become pretty ok with spending $3-5 on a single tree though. I am finding that’s what you really need to be willing to spend to buy something half way nice without crazy flaws. Even in that price range your still buying someone else problem. Normally though at this price range they are problems that can be tended to over 3-10 years.

    There is the create your own Bonsai from scratch route. You know the pre Bonsai as you mentioned. I can’t help but have a few trees with a realized vison while I’m Waiting by my pre Bonsai for the next 50 years to turn into something I’m in awe of every time I stop to look at it.

    The trees give my mind a break from all the Woodworking.



    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Mine are mainly $25 pre bonsai, I planted two of the black pines and have been working them into Niwaki, two more in pots and s couple others.

    You’re garden looks great, if you sell you should stipulate that it comes with you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •