Page 100 of 100 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100
Results 1,486 to 1,500 of 1500

Thread: Vintage Martin T75 restoration

I can’t even respond to that coming from you,

What do they say but you are to humble to do so “I have forgotten more than you know” grasshopper.

I just do what satisfies my need for satisfaction. I don’t have much other choice my need for satisfaction is largely driven by the end results of my work. My personality is like that of a ripple on the waters surface. Or should I say a tidal wave or tsunami. Should my understanding of how to achieve a desired result be interrupted by the ripples of water created by a ill setup or pos shit machine the glass like still surface of my mind “required to produce work of my expectations” quickly becomes tsunami resulting complete systems failure.

I go to these lengths for two reasons. One being double triple quadruple checking insures nothing is missed and the end result is something I can count on as it pertains to calibration and holding its calibrations. I know many could take a shorter path but I’m not them so.. And because I like shiny pretty beautiful things as I understand as a maker and more so respect as a maker the extreme commitment it takes to acquire such results. Not everyone has it in them to achieve such perfection. A less refined and younger me had the desire but not the skill as I had not enough control of my mind.

I’m nuts, mostly I do this as it keeps me calm lol..

If that’s setting bar well then I guess that’s a added bonus and something to hand my hat on also.

If I have any hope escaping this madness it’s listening to Ram Dass continuing my studies as a suto Buddhist and the idea non attachment. I fail miserable as a Buddhist..

Been listening to a lot of Ram Dass lately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    Beautiful job Patrick...... keep leading the way.

Your not the first to ask.

My last response was to Jim our gracious moderator. And my response was because “I’m only one man”..

It was a pad for the old gravity fed boiler original to the home. I have had plans for years to cut it out. For the longest time there was a wall adjacent to it so it didn’t matter much.

I just have so many things to do shop related that take priority, at least in my mind.

Then there is the small detail that above and beyond working 70hrs a week the last few years and all the machine buying and restorations I also ripped the roof off my house “by myself” added a dormer fully gutting the second floor. Put a new roof, all new windows, replaced every last piece of exterior trim, had a new chimney built, ripped my front covered price off and fully rebuilt it footings and all, walkway and paired stairs also. I’m just now halfway through painting the exterior. I still have downspouts, two staircases a piured walkway to remove and new one of bluestone to replace.

The. I need a new driveway and I’ll rip out all my lawn and replace with fresh sod. That’s next year though.

I’ll probably get to that pad in about 2025...

Oh and I have three exterior passage doors to build speaking of cutting up concrete this is a little over a month ago. Had to get something really big I built that wouldn’t fit out the foot out lol..

67C60707-087D-4C4E-941E-A982D136CA52.jpg

9DAE9B33-1DCE-45EA-A76F-3C47B388636A.jpg

07485D73-5C60-41AB-9570-AAB55E796217.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Patrick, that really is stunning. Congratulations on resurrecting the saw to such a high level. It's great that you are so happy with the functional result.

How do you manage working around that stumbling block? Is there some reason not to jackhammer it out?

As you know, I've been following along with this not just here...that's a spectacular restoration/modernization, so Pat-rick yourself on the back!

BTW, I think it's to your employer's advantage to let you work from home. You have a far better shop setup when it comes to tools from my impression of comments you made back when you started with them and if that lets you provide accurate work in a timely fashion, it's win-win.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Why thank you Jim.

I’m not often proud, but I am this time.

As for work well clearly I agree and I would think they do also. My boss on the other hand I think “thinks” he wants me around as he likes to be involved in everything. Plus having someone to do this and or that on a whim is also probably understandably attractive.

However your right my shop is nothing like the shop needed to build the caliber and quality of work I am now building in a efficient manner.

It’s kinda funny looking back. Well not so much just looking back. I can remember vividly when I after the first few times I heard my two co workers mention the amount of noise and dust and how persistent it was and that it was not what they were used to prior to my arrival.

I also remember being dumbfounded and thinking “wait, wait, wait, wait, you guys say you are organ builders and have done this before” how in the hell would you expect anything else I’m just don’t my job building crap. But the facts were they had been building the insides of the organs and not the huge pieces that make up the facade or the consul. It’s two totally different things imo. What I’m doing is more like fine cabinet making on steroids as everything is huge. What they would do much of it is actually pretty small and the amount of machine time is pretty low vrs layout and or assembly. Woodworking wise it’s a very basic set of skills and machinery you might need. Although better machinery would clearly help even them doing what they do.

So I’m kinda hopeful that along with realizing I produce excellent work when I’m just left alone and that I’m always gonna cry that I need the appropriate machines and tooling wiTh anyThing less Than I have at home in my own shop. The hope is they will see it’s a pro for them also if they have not already. Not to mention no down tIme should the pandemic flare back up. Plus more space for them in a shop that’s already crammed full and one less person and personality to tend to. Also that noise and just and peaceful quite clean work environment I was told had changed so drastically they should have again. The clean I don’t get as I keep a spotless shop. The noise well, I’m a cabinet maker. I’ve always been told if it’s quiet in a cabinet shop the boss is not making any money and I’d say that pretty much very true as it’s not fine Woodworking and time hand cutting M&T..

Anyway only time will tell, I can’t control what will or will not be all I can do is continue to follow my path and do what’s best for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    As you know, I've been following along with this not just here...that's a spectacular restoration/modernization, so Pat-rick yourself on the back!

BTW, I think it's to your employer's advantage to let you work from home. You have a far better shop setup when it comes to tools from my impression of comments you made back when you started with them and if that lets you provide accurate work in a timely fashion, it's win-win.
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 06-27-2020 at 2:15 PM.

Congrats on finishing the saw.... it is a beauty. It is cool you can work from home. I love working from home as well as I have been doing it since the middle of March. I am a software developer, so it is probably one on the easiest jobs to work from home.
    Chris

Gorgeous!!!, and absolutely worth all the effort!!!

Thanks Tom.

I’m gonna try and upload a video. Those pictures are just terrible. Kinda a embarrassment to be honest without sounding conceited.

Plus the sound man, the sound. I’m still tickled listening to the blade wind down to a full stop. It’s something special.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Gorgeous!!!, and absolutely worth all the effort!!!

We may have started at different times, and be at different places, but we are fellow travelers on the path.

In One interesting book that i read many years ago a Zen monk who had been in the monastery for 20 years, one day just left, got up and walk out, and and spent the rest of his life gardening.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    I can’t even respond to that coming from you,

What do they say but you are to humble to do so “I have forgotten more than you know” grasshopper.

I just do what satisfies my need for satisfaction. I don’t have much other choice my need for satisfaction is largely driven by the end results of my work. My personality is like that of a ripple on the waters surface. Or should I say a tidal wave or tsunami. Should my understanding of how to achieve a desired result be interrupted by the ripples of water created by a ill setup or pos shit machine the glass like still surface of my mind “required to produce work of my expectations” quickly becomes tsunami resulting complete systems failure.

I go to these lengths for two reasons. One being double triple quadruple checking insures nothing is missed and the end result is something I can count on as it pertains to calibration and holding its calibrations. I know many could take a shorter path but I’m not them so.. And because I like shiny pretty beautiful things as I understand as a maker and more so respect as a maker the extreme commitment it takes to acquire such results. Not everyone has it in them to achieve such perfection. A less refined and younger me had the desire but not the skill as I had not enough control of my mind.

I’m nuts, mostly I do this as it keeps me calm lol..

If that’s setting bar well then I guess that’s a added bonus and something to hand my hat on also.

If I have any hope escaping this madness it’s listening to Ram Dass continuing my studies as a suto Buddhist and the idea non attachment. I fail miserable as a Buddhist..

Been listening to a lot of Ram Dass lately.

Blog Entries
    Came out beautifully, Patrick! I’m sure this is magnitudes better than a brand new saw and it’s free if electronic gizmocity.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Fellow travelers we are all.

Some of us more simular than others but I like to think the subtleties are less pertinent than the thing as a whole. But I am crazy judgmental so then there’s that lol..

What was the book if you can remember.

Not to compare myself to a monk,

I also have a way of being deeply committed to something then just one day walking away all at once and never looking back. Normally I fall out of love silently in my head over a period of time.

I did it with cycling. Just didn’t show up to my next race the following week mid season. Then rock and ice climbing, took a serious 30’ direct ground fall and quickly relisedmice already out mom through hell I dint want her to have to spoon feed me “after all she has done that’s not fare” never climbed again.

Did it with art school after a good many years like six of commitment to being a fine artist.

So many relationships. Not good for me anymore or you “poof” where did Patrick go never to be seen again.

I’m not much proud of it but as a child I learnt becoming attached to anything is not so smart.

We may have started at different times, and be at different places, but we are fellow travelers on the path.

In One interesting book that i read many years ago a Zen monk who had been in the monastery for 20 years, one day just left, got up and walk out, and and spent the rest of his life gardening.

I have to agree Brian. Both with magnitudes and no freaking electronics.

My precious saw can die with me and I don’t have to fear the dreaded lead weight in the shop.

I’d say new martins are pretty well made if not better in some ways “not all” but some for sure. But the dreaded PLU’s or whatever they are. I don’t have bankroll like that and I don’t plan to ever have bankroll like that as I’m pretty sure it’s just not in the cards for me.

So having machines I know I can go the grave with is pretty important to me. I also can’t afford to keep on like this. I honestly look forward to the day I have every machine it is that my heart desires and I can get to saving for a rainy day..

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Came out beautifully, Patrick! I’m sure this is magnitudes better than a brand new saw and it’s free if electronic gizmocity.

Outstanding job Patrick.

I agree that the lack of electronics isn’t a bad thing at all. From my experience with all kinds of machinery, that’s what fails. Long before mechanical parts are worn out.

Glad to hear it works as well as you say. That makes it all worth the effort in my opinion.

Yeah, Life is pretty good at teaching us that the things that we care about can be taken away.

I don't remember the book off hand: a read a bunch of those type of interesting books in the seventies; didn't read any Ram Dass but read a bunch by friends of his.

You can find inspiration and wisdom all around, if you can learn to see what your'e looking at.

You can learn more about woodworking from Alex Honnold than you will in any woodworking book.

I guess it is time to walk away, when you have learned something that makes staying there no longer the right thing for you.

No point being a Monk if in your heart your'e a gardener.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Fellow travelers we are all.

Some of us more simular than others but I like to think the subtleties are less pertinent than the thing as a whole. But I am crazy judgmental so then thereÂ’s that lol..

What was the book if you can remember.

Not to compare myself to a monk,

I also have a way of being deeply committed to something then just one day walking away all at once and never looking back. Normally I fall out of love silently in my head over a period of time.

I did it with cycling. Just didn’t show up to my next race the following week mid season. Then rock and ice climbing, took a serious 30’ direct ground fall and quickly relisedmice already out mom through hell I dint want her to have to spoon feed me “after all she has done that’s not fare” never climbed again.

Did it with art school after a good many years like six of commitment to being a fine artist.

So many relationships. Not good for me anymore or you “poof” where did Patrick go never to be seen again.

IÂ’m not much proud of it but as a child I learnt becoming attached to anything is not so smart.

It sure does make it worth it.

As a maker of various stuff throughout my life I think Woodworking machines have taught me the most concerning successful design as it pertains to function.

The saw works so great because it holds its calibration. It holds its calibration not only because everything is built to robust. But also because everything is most important so simple. Nothing is highly interdependent on the other and each aspect or piece as it relates to some adjustment concerning calibration isn’t all looped together or dependent on another part. And these parts are all robust with simple solutions to simple problems or objectives.

It’s kinda akin to is joinery snobs being convinced that antiquated as they may be in any modern furniture “mortis and tenon joinery” is about as simple and effective a solution to building just about anything out of wood worth building of wood. And properly setup to create them it’s actually fairly easy work and can be fast work.

So for me as a maker these machines continue to teach me a valuable lesson both as a maker and a human. Simple is often best, bust simple does not have to mean low quality or garbage. Quite often simple is of much higher quality.

I consider myself fortunate to have the experiences I have with these machines. My carpal tunnel is really becoming a factor. I really hope I can get through the full restoration of two Martin shapers then maybe call it good enough..

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delyster View Post
    Outstanding job Patrick.

I agree that the lack of electronics isn’t a bad thing at all. From my experience with all kinds of machinery, that’s what fails. Long before mechanical parts are worn out.

Glad to hear it works as well as you say. That makes it all worth the effort in my opinion.

Hmm,,

I think you and I drink the same flavor cool aid or something.

I couldn’t agree more with every sentiment above..

The things I have found of the most value in this life unanimously have inflicted the most hurt. On the flip side at some point I came to a place in my life that I’m not enjoying something it’s my responsibility and mine alone to do something about it.

I have a innate hate to call it “god given” ability to quickly become very good at just about anything I want to do. A long time ago maybe in my early twenties I figured out that as good as I could be at any given thing and as much envy those not so inclined to be able to just be good at whatever they wanted I could and would never be the best at any one thing and that I rise quick to close to the top of just about anything I want but then I plateau.

In my youth when I would plateau loosing interest would not be far behind as I need constant challenge and I need to see progress.

I hope this Woodworking thing will be something I can continue to find ways to challenge myself with and this fill my soul.

If not I’m sure it will end up like many other things in my life and just end up another chapter.

I fully expect to at some point in my life sell everything and take a one way walk into the woods. But I bet a bring a few key tools..

Yeah, Life is pretty good at teaching us that the things that we care about can be taken away.

I don't remember the book off hand: a read a bunch of those type of interesting books in the seventies; didn't read any Ram Dass but read a bunch by friends of his.

You can find inspiration and wisdom all around, if you can learn to see what your'e looking at.

You can learn more about woodworking from Alex Honnold than you will in any woodworking book.

I guess it is time to walk away, when you have learned something that makes staying there no longer the right thing for you.

No point being a Monk if in your heart your'e a gardener.