Patrick, before you can check anything, you need a reference surface. If you are checking off of the table you need a flat table. if you are using a square you need to check and verify that its square. then you need to check and verify the cast iron fence is perpendicular to the table surface, then check your aluminum fence is straight and parallel. before mounting it. If your cast iron fence is not perpendicular to the table top out can scrape it in,( or shim) it is not a large surface area to work. If its the aluminum fence that is not parallel you can easily fix that. You could even do that with a router. Screw the fence down to a table, fasten a couple of 2x2's either side for rails and run your router over the top,( the face that attaches to your iron fence) like people do when dressing large planks with a router sled. Lots of ways to find out where the problem is and lots of ways to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
Then I revisited the fence. I spoke with a shop yesterday to tend to removing the rivets from the hand wheel. I also mentioned the rip fence and he felt he could tend to it. With that said I had a little prep to take care of before handing it off to him. Namely removing the wanky laminate I had put on it along with the plastic strip applied to the bottom ack edge previously I suspect as someone’s attempt to repair a out of square fence.

I don’t know what they were thinking with this strip as it was oriented in the wrong place to correct the issue. If anything it should had been on the top of the fence. And yes I had the fence oriented properly top to bottom being it has holes along the top to mount a sub fence and or jiggery. But you know someone easily could had done the repair and forgone those stupid holes.

White strip some knucklehead I think added. Maybe it was there from the factory but I doubt it.

3C8B8E4D-D933-4888-AE2F-1701BFC4D9DB.jpg

The more I delve into and explore this fence thing I begin to think someone had a accident with it and made a crap repair. I’m thinking the wood and laminate are part of that fix. Like maybe they drove a blade into it, then took it to the edge sander and took it way out of square. Possible the application of the wood and laminate were part of the solution.

You can clearly see in the picture the taper to both the aluminum and the wood/laminate

231C8BED-6200-4E01-BED5-EEEB5A49BB02.jpg

I don’t know maybe this was Martins way of making the piece complainer to itself front and back but I doubt that also.

Whatever happened it’s not gonna fly for me as it ugly as all get out.

It is however with my botched aluminum laminate job pretty much dead nuts square to the table. The trailing edge dives out slightly.

Front

354ECE0A-E2F1-43D2-86F9-E6A38E5A2F84.jpg

Middle

354ECE0A-E2F1-43D2-86F9-E6A38E5A2F84.jpg

Back

325D89DF-29CA-4F40-9E28-5B2710B32C63.jpg

Chris’s square tells the real story..

290C9A82-8DC2-4E49-BBB2-7585F492F76B.jpg