Page 70 of 100 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 1500

Thread: Vintage Martin T75 restoration

Hey Patrick, Lots of respect for you my friend: you care about what you do, you care about your dog, and you quick to give others a pat on the back and a nod for their efforts. You are built of the right stuff in my book.

That little Maka is a very nice machine, and i would love to keep it. But i have to earn a living, and i have to get a few machine out of my shop before i will have any room to do any woodworking.

Fixing up my house is a pain, I would rather build a new one, but not in the position to do so. I don't like working on something that someone else built.

I am looking forward to seeing you get the saw running.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Mark,

Your clearly not a lazy guy, get cracking on that house

I’m kidding of course, more than cleaning a clogged drain or raking the leaves working on your own house can be a real drag. At least for me and I’m sure similar for you it takes me away from building something I really want to build.

I’m glad your happy to hear from me, it will be nice to have some time again.

FYI, wish I had $8500 burning a hole in pocket as I got a major lump in my drawers for that specked robins egg blue Maka. Wish it was a different time for me but sadly it is not.

You did a sweet job on that one. I just couldn’t sell it had I done the work, It’s just perfection.

Oh and that’s the pup that just got a septic blood infection. Took two full months of antibiotics and round the clock care to get him better but he is doing great now. Still walks with a limp and I think will always now. We came as close as it gets to loosing him though. A dog a shop and some shop time and I’m a happy guy..

There is a whole neighborhood of those Sears kit homes about 5 miles from here....'glad you've been able to enjoy yours!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks mark I feel much the same way about you.

Funny story I’ll try to keep short. I was installing a kitchen over the summer. The contractor had this old timer hippy kinda guy as his foreman and largely finish carpenter. Guy was one of the last few cowboys, pony tale and and all the signs of a hard earned honest life in his body, the lines in his face, his hands and maybe most telling his voice. He was just a gentle honest old sole making his way. He was still recreating one off mounding to match existing on site using a table saw a hand plane and a bit of sand paper.

Anyway his company for the short time was refreshing vrs the average meat head i tend to encounter these days working in the trades. Most really have zero romance for the craft and it’s just a job and a way to make ends meet. I said something to him casually like “I like you man” lol.

He responded In a fairly burnt out old hippy but maybe just laid back voice “you know normally when you feel a way about someone, they feel the same ay about you Patrick”. I was flattered, a bromance was born lol. Now it’s not that I had never given any thought to the subject but I found it such a clear and simple explanation for our daily interactions with others I have yet to forget him saying it.

As for the Maka, I understand I just might sell my prized Martin jointer for similar reasons coupled with I just don’t want to move it out of my shop someday. Getting it in will be exciting, out not so much..

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    Hey Patrick, Lots of respect for you my friend: you care about what you do, you care about your dog, and you quick to give others a pat on the back and a nod for their efforts. You are built of the right stuff in my book.

That little Maka is a very nice machine, and i would love to keep it. But i have to earn a living, and i have to get a few machine out of my shop before i will have any room to do any woodworking.

Fixing up my house is a pain, I would rather build a new one, but not in the position to do so. I don't like working on something that someone else built.

I am looking forward to seeing you get the saw running.

Yes I really really love this house. It’s a gem, the interior is all it’s original DF stained trim and in impeccable original condition. You can put a marble anywhere on the floor and it’s not going anywhere.just about any wall a level can be put on and it’s pretty much dead nuts. Being built in 1926 I’d say that a testament to the builder.

As I mentioned it was purchased from the son of the original owner shortly after his father passed. His father had built the home and was a carpenter by trade. Over the years talking to any of my older neighbors I have been told how the original built this house over there, that porch over there and turned such and such carriage house into the home it is today yada yada.

Oddly enough when the house was purchased there was also a full shop full of Woodworking machines in what is now my shop. At the time I was in nyc attending Art school and working for a company that did anything from outfit fast food joints with cabinetry to paint all the structural steel, to gut and fully renovate brownstones, condos in high rise buildings to making office space comprised of miles of metal studs, cove base and drop ceilings.

Point is I was far from a skilled woodworker and had zero understanding or appreciation of shop equipment. Since that has clearly changed. I feel a weird but strong bind along with responsibility to this home and the original owner. It’s weird to respect someone you never even met but that exact how it is.

I have gone nuts with the exterior trim work. All the saufit and facia are dadoed together just like they would had been way back when. Corners are all miter wrapped. Proper expansion joints considering I used Azek. Every five piece panel is cope and sticked, dominoed and pocket screwed together. It’s really kinda nuts but it’s the only way I can motivate myself to work. If I can’t do my best I really have zero incentive to start. And compared to a true craftsman “fine furniture maker” that’s really nothing and just basic Woodworking skills imop.

The other thing I love about this house is it’s small simple utilitarianism design regarding both size. The bungalow ethic is something I can get aboard and hang my hat on. I will move on and when I do it will probably be a brand new home. A small footprint, probably on a concrete slab with lots of floor to crumb windows a southern exposure made using materials that require little maintenance capable of lasting a lifetime or two.

Where do u live Jim, the Carolinas?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    There is a whole neighborhood of those Sears kit homes about 5 miles from here....'glad you've been able to enjoy yours!

SE PA, just north of Philadelphia, Patrick. The small enclave of the kit homes is nearby my small township in a place called Wycombe.
    --

I’ll give it a google..

And oh yeah it saiz right in our avatar lol..

Not sure why I thought Carolinas..

SE PA, just north of Philadelphia, Patrick. The small enclave of the kit homes is nearby my small township in a place called Wycombe.

This past spring I began moving much of the larger pieces of the saw home. As soon as the weather turned anything saw related came to a screeching halt due to work becoming very busy along with having torn the exterior of my home apart over the past few years and it still being far from finished. I’m pretty sure my neighbors hate me, for the last 20 years my house has always been the nicest on the street, always manicured to the 9’s. Nothing fancy but tidy and cared for. For the past few years it’s been a disaster. If it was my neighbor I’d be pissed.

Anyway I have begun prepping to get the rest of the saw into my house before snow falls. Once snow falls no machines come or go in or out of my shop as the approach is a pita.

The base is palletized, wrapped in blankets and shrink wrapped. The plan as of now is to bring it home Saturday. I’ll have to rent a small trailer as I can’t see getting the base out of the back of my van once it gets home. I can forklift it into my van at work but once home I’m stuck with a pallet jack. Friday night I’ll pack the sliding table parts into my van. I’ve gotten cabinet saws, sharpers, drill presses, mortisers so forth and so out of my truck with a ramp. But this base is heavy, real heavy and it’s kinda weighted all to one side so it likes to tip.

All the odds and end. I’d say I know where half of these random parts go. I’m not kidding and a little scared, but only a little.

E8ECE4DC-0D0E-45CD-853C-287EEA9AA36B.jpg

Now I’m gonna ask for help or advise from those in the know. The bellow red piece is the kick stop or emergency shutoff. Sadly at some point it broke and someone repaired it with the screw you see. I’d like to source an appropriate red plastic that can withstand impact then have someone replicate the piece on a lathe as I don’t have one.

C4371100-4C0C-418D-9557-B296C854CB7B.jpg

60E20C2C-A275-473B-95B3-858A6D30EDF3.jpg

Then there is this piece. It is a lock for the sliding table. Again it would have had a black plastic knob kinda like a ball but if you compressed it. This repair with what I suspect is resin is pathetic but you know In a working shop for a working machine it seems about what’s to be expected. Again I’d like to source the plastic material, turn up a replica of the original and put a threaded insert in it and thread the end of the rod.

1B48B019-E43A-4DF6-B8A3-A5DBA69B0F85.jpg

Then the chains for the rise fall and tilt of the saw. I had left the two smaller chains soaking in oil for at least the last six months. Sadly it seems to have turned the soaked chains blue vrs the larger chain that was soaked but then removed and then left to sit. Nobody will ever know but me but I’m bummed as oddly enough these chains are a few of my favorite pieces of this machine after all this work. Why i don’t know, except that they are original, say Germany all over them and are in great condition.

8D6A679F-16BD-4025-A236-50DE98F1D23C.jpg

I’m pretty excited to get the last pieces of the saw home. It will be a bit of time I’m sure before I can run the machine as I have to kinda tear my shop apart and rearrange just to put the darn thing together. Then when the machine is together I need to have a phase converter installed and that is going to require me upgrading my electrical panel from a 100 amp service “that’s full” to a new 200 amp service. I’m kinda bummed to say the least as in my area thats like $2500-4000 depending. I knew this day would come though so I shouldn’t be to upset. But you know spending $2K on the converter and probably $3500 on the panel does not sound like how I’d like to spend my money. With that much I could buy a old Martin shaper and do this all over again lol..

Better pictures this weekend. Or more exciting.....
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 11-13-2019 at 8:45 PM.

Hopefully, you'll be able to arrange for a few extra muscles to help move that heavy thing into your shop with the pallet jack!
    --

Nope,

Just me

And I’ll be bringing my giant Snap On toolbox home also. But it has wheels.

Should be a long cold day here in New England.

In a sick twisted way I kinda love moving heavy Woodworking machines by myself.

I’ll be ready for some football come Sunday.

Hopefully, you'll be able to arrange for a few extra muscles to help move that heavy thing into your shop with the pallet jack!

Blog Entries
    Easy fix on the red button is to replace the center with a bearing bronze pin, use a good looking fastener. Cut the center out on a lathe to receive the bronze pin. Plastic, in that shape is going to break again.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Search for "red plastic rod" in the ebay search box. You might have to add something like "turcite" to the search. There will probably be many choices to come up. Look for the seller listing a number of different types for sale, and contact him, letting him know the diameter, color, and what you want to make from it. The exact item may not be currently listed, but I've done just this, and was sold some oil-filled Nylon, and Delrin, at different times, in sizes that worked for what I needed without having to buy way more than I would ever need for some small job.

If you were closer, I'd loan you my Maasdam rope puller, and some tree work ropes, and rigging stuff. I also move what needs to be moved by myself when necessary. The rope puller works like a come-a-long, but you're not limited to a short cable. You can run any length of twisted 1/2" rope through it, and there are very strong, low stretch tree work ropes that it can use.

I don’t know why I dint flow that though/idea all the way through to a picture.

I generally get the idea but I’m lacking the vision.

Oh I get it I think. Took the dog out and re read this. Your larger point is that it will break again.

So re you saying reuse this piece even though it’s broke in two pieces. Or replace it’s with new material but bore out the center and use a bronze pin and bronze screw so im kicking bronze and no plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Easy fix on the red button is to replace the center with a bearing bronze pin, use a good looking fastener. Cut the center out on a lathe to receive the bronze pin. Plastic, in that shape is going to break again.
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 11-13-2019 at 8:42 PM.

Tom,

That’s some good advise. I’ll give it a try.

The real issue is not having a lathe and you know I don’t see buying one at this moment considering the electrical work. I’d be half inclined to send the piece to Brian and pay him to replicate it if he would be so willing. Depending it could be just as expensive to buy a jet mini lathe but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Search for "red plastic rod" in the ebay search box. You might have to add something like "turcite" to the search. There will probably be many choices to come up. Look for the seller listing a number of different types for sale, and contact him, letting him know the diameter, color, and what you want to make from it. The exact item may not be currently listed, but I've done just this, and was sold some oil-filled Nylon, and Delrin, at different times, in sizes that worked for what I needed without having to buy way more than I would ever need for some small job.

If you were closer, I'd loan you my Maasdam rope puller, and some tree work ropes, and rigging stuff. I also move what needs to be moved by myself when necessary. The rope puller works like a come-a-long, but you're not limited to a short cable. You can run any length of twisted 1/2" rope through it, and there are very strong, low stretch tree work ropes that it can use.
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 11-13-2019 at 8:46 PM.

Blog Entries
    Sure, happy to do so.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I said this was a lot of work.

Today I started by digging out the ramp I use to get machines down the three steps into my shop. It doubles as a lumber rack when not being used.

73042662-FAE9-45FB-ABF6-640428A907F7.jpg

When you need it it’s a real pita but I’m always glad I have it as I would be a bigger pita to build another, plus expensive. The ramp I was lucky enough to salvage scrap materials from a house I was building at the time.

Fist I have to unload it. Without much space it all ends up on the table saw. I always loath, then “lOVE” doing this as I get to look at all my prized lumber that just sits waiting for the day I’m not working 70 hrs a week to use it.

On this wall I have some pretty sweet Birdseye. I just had to have these boards when I ran into them. Yes they were expensive but you only live once is my approach. I actually have like 300 more bf of Birdseye all medium to high figure, but his stuff is just so unique. I have no idea what I’ll build with it. I’m inclined to think drawer fronts combined with a carcass of a completely different species.

E3AA5FA8-C709-4D07-B7B6-F32058863463.jpg

3258AEA9-1DA1-4F3C-B6F8-6A9F2565572F.jpg

Then a sweet score, I came across this pile of 4/4 and 8/4 45 year old Burmese teak a number of years ago. I got it for a steel. I was going to make a couple shop doors with it. I may still but I doubt it as I’m pretty sure I’m moving. Maybe it will become a bed and beside tables for the new master bedroom when it’s done.

9FA2BC48-904D-490E-9971-622BD08F43A4.jpg