Page 37 of 100 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Martin T75 restoration

I figured so much.

I can only imagine the size of the machine I’d need to do two pieces vertually .25x12x10

I dont even know where I’d start to find someone to do it for me.

Hmm keep the thoughts coming...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    When I was chatting with Brian Holcolmb a week or two ago during his last visit, I mentioned a small project I had to cut a dado insert for my slider (which is capable of it, but I don't want to pay north of $300 for the OEM part). I have one I borrowed from another local woodworker for measuring purposes and plan on buying some aluminum stock. Brian recommended I get material a little thicker and machine both sides to insure I have accurate thickness. From that conversation, I'll interpolate that if you buy aluminum for your idea, it's going to need to be processed for thickness, not just for the shape, etc.

You are already going to be far,far ahead of new on the finish on the machine. Obviously you are leaving, at least generally the factory machining.
    Getting new sheet stock could work, but you then need a machinist to mill the face, and then, you need to find an anodizer.
    I think that might put you at a cost of 30% or more of your outlay so far.
    I know you don’t want to hear it, but sometimes, “good enough” is just that, “good enough” .
    If it is too nice, you will be afraid to use it- at least I would.
    Just remember, it IS a tool.
    Mine has the worn, unfinished aluminum tops, and I gotta say, it rarely leaves any marks. And, anything that touches the table is subject to further finishing, such as sanding, prior to being a finished product.

Keep the sliding top, clean it up and leave it. While a fully restored machine is beauty, so is some of the original. The fine grain of the cast iron, the planed surface of the table, and even the scars of the previous life are indications of the old machine underneath. That is part of the charm and part of it's value to others. Replace everything and you might as well have a new saw. Dave

Might as well have a new main base cast at this rate.

I was “cast a new base” but then I know new cast iron is not half the quality of old

You know I’m joking.

The aluminum tables just seemed like in the right hands with the right access to machinery a pretty easy low cost task. Low cost as in Im terrible with money and generally just have a “it’s just money, I hate the stuff, work harder have what you want your never gonna be free for worry of money so why enslave yourself to it”....

I know the aluminum tables are probably being left as is and I’m kinda getting off dreaming now. I’m also aware it’s just a tool and it’s gonna be used and showing the signs of use in less time than I took to restore it. Still I really just get off on having something to do comepetle over the top.

I watched that movie Free Solo last night. A couple comments Alex made really stuck out to me as they were integral parts of his core belief system. I could relate so much I could almost cry hearing someone felt so passionate and simular on the subject as myself. The first being when we’re gone we’re gone and that’s that and it really doesn’t bother me one it so long as I was doing what i wanted so you might as well do exactly what you want everyday as we only get one shot at this, if I die doing whatever so be it as I’m gonna die at some point and when your dead your dead. If you die having wanted to do this or that but instead did everything but well then your really gonna fear death. He also felt nothing was worth doing if your not seeking absalute perfection. He related free solo climbing successfully “climbing a route and not falling to your death” to having a Olympic gold medal performance every time you climb. One mistake means death not silver so perfection is paramount and 100% mandatory.

So for me the pursuit of perfection is just a nessesity not a option really. I’m forced to compromise my desire and ethic toward perfection pretty much everyday all day as a tradesman. I absolutely need to have a outlet to peruse as close as I can get to perfection at all times.

Like Alex but not ElCap caliber or I’d be a miliioneer I was a climber for many years that often climbed without a rope for a multitude of reasons. The first being I just like to be alone. Second I wanted to climb more than I could find a partner. You try finding a partner to climb on Monday morning at 6am week in and week out. Then you know that perfection thing and having to get everything just right or be screwed.

I fell eventually, thirty feet straight to the ground. I landed on a rock ledge standing straight up. I shattered my ankle and could get off the couch for six months. It shook my head enough to say ok enough is enough the next time I will be dead or a vegetable. I figured that was not fare to my wonderful single mother of a only child. So now I have to seek perfection a new way but perfection non the less. For example over built df/ayc doors and the stupid expensive hardware for them for a house I’ll probably sell in the next few years. Or a pice of furniture I take way to long to make because I don’t do it everyday and won’t cut any corner and miss a cut the slightest and just throw the whole thing in the junk pile. Really I just don’t make a mistake.

I assure you as soon as the last screw is turned on this saw I’ll be totally over it and on to the next thing. I’ll care for the saw and be careful with it as I take very good care of everything I own and as much a neat freak as perfectionist. But you know I also won’t hesitate to use it even if I plate it in 24k gold. I have a bunch of Kiyohisa chisels I was told I’d be to afraid to use also and assured the seller I’d use without hesitation and that’s exactly what I do. Same with all my tools. Difference between use and abuse though.

Just the way I am, if I even tried to do it any other way the thing would end up in pieces and I’d loose interest and never put it back together. Just the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Might as well have a new main base cast at this rate.
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 03-04-2019 at 12:39 AM.

Blog Entries
    Leave the aluminum as is, just clean it. Mechanical finishing is going to reduce the thickness and leave a finish that doesn’t look original.

It’s too long to be milled.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Brian,

I’m not in any way considering altering the aluminum that is original to the machine. No freaking way as if nothing else it’s thickenss will 100% change and I’m not willing to risk that can of worms.

I’d be talking about sourcing and or finding someone whom can reporoduce exactly what is just brand new and anodized.

Like I said I was pretty sure before I asked the question would lead nowhere and thenold aluminum would remain.

I also figured why not ask ask as whomthe heck knows maybe it’s more obtainable than it seems.

I’m still gonna explore my options. Clearly it will be the last thing I do as I’m sure bearings for the motor, arbor rip fence and remaining paint and materials is gonna continue to put my bank account in a painful place.

Heading to the the paint store today for polyester, sealer, finish paint, sanding blocks, sticky back paper for the blocks, latex glove, catalyst and proper 1.8 primer gun. I fully expect to spend about 2k...

And I need to order that slide hammer and sort out a face pin spanner. The fact is this project is going to start to progress only as fast as I can afford to proceed. I have a mountain of other financial obligations running side by side with this above and beyond the bills we all have.

In all honesty the next purge of spending has me longing to just dig into more disassembly and prep work as it’s vertually free.

On the other hand hand I’d be lying to say I can hardly wait to see the first piece in finsh paint fully assembled with all nickel played bits and pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Leave the aluminum as is, just clean it. Mechanical finishing is going to reduce the thickness and leave a finish that doesn’t look original.

It’s too long to be milled.

Blog Entries
    Well, if you want to clean it up, here's a blog that has some worthwhile insight.

https://blog.jdslabs.com/2013/05/how...nish-aluminum/

Whatever you pick, it has to be something that doesn't effect much and doesn't leave a gritty texture.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Thanks Brian,

I’ll take a look..

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Well, if you want to clean it up, here's a blog that has some worthwhile insight.

https://blog.jdslabs.com/2013/05/how...nish-aluminum/

Whatever you pick, it has to be something that doesn't effect much and doesn't leave a gritty texture.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Hmm,

That’s a good though “just hand the motor off to a motor guy” I like doing everything myself but yeah sometimes it’s best to outsource certain aspects of projects.

Now if only I had a motor guy and one that would hand the motor off to me in pieces to prep and paint.

Don’t worry I won’t skimp. The bearings are being replaced. For whatever reason even with my varied background i lasts screw up electrical work. No matter how hard I try marking this wire and that wire taking pictures yada yada I always loose track. I recreated as a child pretty hard so maybe that’s it

This saw is mechanically in such good shaper there really is nothing to do but replace the bearings and maybe the wiring. Honestly the wiring also looks to be a exceptional shape so you know I don’t know if I’ll touch it?

There's a shop I've used a couple times over the years, I think it's called Gallant, over in North Reading. Real old time dingy place, but he rebuilt a hazardous duty motor for me maybe ten years ago or so and it's still going strong. Just have to make sure you let them know not to paint it! For some reason motor guys feel the need to spray bomb your motor when you have them work on it

JeffD

Jeff very nice of you to help.

I actually called and spoke with a shop in Woburn today. Now the trick is getting there durning normal business hours considering I work during normal business hours.

I’ll look into the place you suggested also. It’s funny I mentioned painting and I think they mentioned whatever they do may not match my project exactly but it’s a motor was their oppinion. I asked if I supplied the paint if they would use it. They said yes but I’m thinking they probably are not setup to spray autobody paint. Who knows maybe they are.

I’m still half inclined to tear the motor apart myself. I ordered a slide hammer per Darcy’s suggestion with wise grips that screw onto it. I have a feeling the next tool I’m gonna need is some kind of puller to remove bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    There's a shop I've used a couple times over the years, I think it's called Gallant, over in North Reading. Real old time dingy place, but he rebuilt a hazardous duty motor for me maybe ten years ago or so and it's still going strong. Just have to make sure you let them know not to paint it! For some reason motor guys feel the need to spray bomb your motor when you have them work on it

JeffD

Ok this has got me excited.

I was finally able to shoot some polyester. For those that don’t know what I’m talking about it’s esentially spray on bondo or body filler.

And all I have to say is this stuff is pretty freaking awesome!

I purchased a gun with a 2.5 tip specifically designed to spray polyester. The stuff just flew on and laid right down. Just as I planned and had fingers crossed it fills in all the voids and or imperfections I did not get with knife on body filler.

All the parts have to be sanded to 400 grit before the polyester. Friday night after work I’ll get everything sanded, cleaned and ready to shoot again first thing Saturday morning.

It’s just killing me I can’t wait to get finsih on some of this. If the finish looks anywhere as good as this polyester this paint job is gonna be something to be really proud of.

Fingers crossed..

Two parts sanded back to 400..

B460EDFD-2DD5-422F-9C41-0F8EA4E65E8D.jpg

6F6B1354-DEF2-4FB7-B5C9-B72C4D793FE3.jpg

Wet coat

56F74854-1922-42CB-9687-A2756B0F3655.jpg

A before of a few innthe pieces I sprayed tonight.

F57EAF98-BCD2-494B-8FE6-202F29EF86D1.jpg

Just look at all the little voids this stuff filled not to mention laying down perfectly flat.

92E48870-5401-4098-8BA5-33D881BBAF80.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post

JeffD
    That sounds like my kind of motor place. And also about the painting. I picked up a Baldor buffer I left with that kind of place here, and they had done a great job of getting it to run like a new one again, but had spray painted the whole thing with spray paint, not quite the right gray, including over the name badges.

Patrick, Looks spectacular from here! What type of gun did you get for the polyester? I bought one of the cheap 2.5 ones once, for epoxy primer, and just tossed the gun after that job. I expect the one you used is better than that one I used, but it was just for cast aluminum gutter brackets.