Page 39 of 100 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Martin T75 restoration

That's the sanding block I use on the rare occasion I finish sheetrock-on the butt joints, and also to fair sailboat bottoms. The smaller ones are good to have too.

That's a darn attractive kitchen, Patrick! Clean and sensible...beautifully handled.

'Glad you're making progress on the saw.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tom,

So u do it all also..

I did a project years ago in NYC where the doors had no casing and the rock went right to the edge of the door as to make the doors disappear into the walls. I used a antibody block on that also.

Over the years I have done tons of skim coating of walls with Jc and plaster of Paris. I ever like making a corner with no cirner bead but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Thanks Jim,

Again I just build what I'm told to build.

Honestly that one and most we have lots of creative freedom when it comes to the minutiae as most of our work is for one architect that has come to trust our opinions when we run into obstacles.

That fridge is actually four sided. A wet bar in one side, fridge pantry on the side you see. Pantry on the other and just dummy panel on the other..

Oh and the blond cabs are qs figured European sycamore. $800 a sheet hardly sensible
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 03-08-2019 at 1:32 PM.

I built one new spec house a year for 33 years, and did everything except install the HVAC units. I knew they would need repair at some point, and I didn't want to be the one called. In 2007, it looked like everyone else in the building business had gotten smarter than me, and I didn't want to have anything for sale in 2008. I never put a price on a house until it was finished, and never held one for longer than two weeks once the price was put on it, without using a realtor. I'd start one in the Fall, finish the inside over the Winter (never bought a premade cabinet, or used a prehung door), dress up the outside in the Spring, sell it, and take the Summer off. All waterfront houses within a couple of miles of our place.

Talking about sheetrock, since I framed the house too, the framing was designed for sheetrock, where there was any, and places where butt joints fell were recessed so that the finished walls were perfectly flat, with not even any humps over butt joints.

Fall of 2007 I started working on historic museum houses, and have now stopped taking on any more work for the rest of my life. I've have more people waiting on me than I will ever be able to do all the work. Look at my website on that
    www.HistoricHousePreservation.com I haven't had time to work on that website in a couple of years, and it's accumulated some formatting errors, including dropping whole blocks of text, but it doesn't make much difference now. Everything you see on that website was done by my hands, and a couple of strong quiet helpers that can almost read a tape measure between the two of them.

No sheetrock in those, but I do Lime Plaster to match the old walls, but using my own methods. It is real lime plaster though. I do everything on the old houses too.

I'm really enjoying following this thread about you working on the TS.

Tom really really great work.

If I had been able to carve out a career doing work such as that I’d surely have been a happy man working out there in the field. Even in the universe high end though concessions are made and mostly what bothers me most is you end up building stuff on the regular you just know is gonna fail. I’m all fine with that if that’s the best you can do but when one knows there is a better way and your building a 50 million dollar house the thic that allows one benitnthe builder client or craftsman to decide “it is what it is, this is what we are doing” just wrecks my head.

Looking at your windows really brought me pause to see the mouton are removable.

I fond not satisfaction building modern homes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I built one new spec house a year for 33 years, and did everything except install the HVAC units. I knew they would need repair at some point, and I didn't want to be the one called. In 2007, it looked like everyone else in the building business had gotten smarter than me, and I didn't want to have anything for sale in 2008. I never put a price on a house until it was finished, and never held one for longer than two weeks once the price was put on it, without using a realtor. I'd start one in the Fall, finish the inside over the Winter (never bought a premade cabinet, or used a prehung door), dress up the outside in the Spring, sell it, and take the Summer off. All waterfront houses within a couple of miles of our place.

Talking about sheetrock, since I framed the house too, the framing was designed for sheetrock, where there was any, and places where butt joints fell were recessed so that the finished walls were perfectly flat, with not even any humps over butt joints.

Fall of 2007 I started working on historic museum houses, and have now stopped taking on any more work for the rest of my life. I've have more people waiting on me than I will ever be able to do all the work. Look at my website on that
    www.HistoricHousePreservation.com I haven't had time to work on that website in a couple of years, and it's accumulated some formatting errors, including dropping whole blocks of text, but it doesn't make much difference now. Everything you see on that website was done by my hands, and a couple of strong quiet helpers that can almost read a tape measure between the two of them.

No sheetrock in those, but I do Lime Plaster to match the old walls, but using my own methods. It is real lime plaster though. I do everything on the old houses too.

I'm really enjoying following this thread about you working on the TS.

Polyester is done!

Well at least for this batch of parts. Now I just gotta buff it all to 400 then spot fill any minor misses.

After that it’s sealer and finish paint. The sealer goes on as mentioned prior withnthe finishe right behind it the same spray session. So the next time I paint o should have some finished parts to show for my efforts.

The next round is gonna cost me about $18-2000 so it may be a couple to few weeks before I get to it. I suppose it will take me all week to sand this polyester. Then maybe a week to fully restore the motor paint included. Then you know I can figur3mout how to tear down the rest of the base. That should bring me to the end of the month and spring.

Sadly come spring this will become a m-f morning and night kinda project as I have the whole exterior of my house to finish. I have covered on the front of my house sitting just framed no decking not trim nothing. I then have two sides to trio out, one more window to instal, prep and paint the whole thing. Oh build a stone slab staircase and walkway to the new front porch, rip out my front lawn and replace it all with sod.

You know plus setup the yard for spring. I have my hands and wallet very very full. Not to mention the hinges for my interior doors arrived last week. And the passage sets are due to arrive within weeks now. Not only am I broke but man I’m tired. Tired I’m 100% fine with even broke kinda but not really as all this cost a ton of money..

B7603B83-7724-4D06-95F5-657FD5D6D097.jpg

So as I said this polyester just keeps blowing my mind. I’m in love with this stuff other than the obvious understanding body filler is not as resistant to bumps and bangs as metal. Still I could tell prepping the saw that from the factory even in 1970 something they smothered the entire surface of the machine just as I am. Only time will tell is the truth. This saw will see very very light use at least from where I currently stand and can see. Now working full time as a cabinet maker “and god willing it last” I dint really need a shop of my own anymore. I will still do the random one off furniture piece in my shop and from time to time work from home out of nessity. But to be honest at this point I’m just making sure I have everything I want so someday when I retire I have all the toys to blissfully finally build what I want the way I want.

Anyway body filler. You really should go back and look at the before parts of each of these parts. If you find close up pictures of the pieces before I did a darn thing tomthem it’s pretty staggering. To be honest I had hoped in my mind they would turn out this well, and for the most part fully expected them to hence why they are but I also kinda though I could be in for some disappointment. I guess I don’t deal with disappointment well cuz I have a feeling their turning out so well as a result of my disappointment avaiodance more than anything.

The extrusion the sliding table travels on. This part is highly visible. Was in miserable condition and is very important to me it end up perfect with regard to uniformity of radius and consonancy of that radius along its length. The last thing I want is to look down this thing in the right light and see rolls and humps and valleys. So far so good. Previous to this last coat of polyester there was one slightly high spot of concern. I’ll be interested to run my hand over it today and see if it is now truely flat. Picture bellow is wet

53C66593-A4BB-460D-980A-346FC1FE7EDE.jpg

Another wetish...

9E044AAE-57FA-4319-8B95-CDCBF6365E46.jpg

Flashed off..

54ACD1EE-C4E9-4DA5-9D09-55E675A5C2B6.jpg

This is the dust chute, a couple small spots need a spot fill. Otherwise I’m floored as to how perfect I have been able to get the radius of this part. It had long flat spots all over it from a grinder from the factory. Then tight joints in corners were also just a mess. This is one of two parts I have sanded thenooly fill.

F51F22EE-BC16-48A0-8D8E-A98E4672EC0F.jpg

F51F22EE-BC16-48A0-8D8E-A98E4672EC0F.jpg

58D847EF-9FDC-485A-B885-20F935411656.jpg

B4855D41-21EE-4FFA-B09C-40E467B05C6A.jpg

3EFEE330-0F39-4E39-A849-B488F03454D0.jpg

More pictures that would not fit above..

46D73716-99CD-4E13-A02E-AEA65C85AC15.jpg

The actual aluminum sliding table. This part indexes the round half moon extrusion in the first pictures. This part was also a mess. The small radius corners that ravel the length almost looked tomhave had a Bead of caulking run in them to transition and smooth them out. Getting all that old crap material off was not easy. Honestly it was sheer will that insures this piece also turn out so well with regard to the above detail. I think a lot of people would had called it good enough after just the first coat of knife on body filler. I just knew it would drive me nuts to look at those sloppy lines the rest of my life knowing I had a chance to do something about them. This piece is not sanded. You will notice a bit or orange peel. There is no way around it when shooting the product. The fact is it’s intended to be sanded to 400 minimum before sealer so you know laying it down perfect I don’t think is possible.

98DAD967-AECE-4105-8148-F80ED2B9043C.jpg

EAD1EDFB-EAA0-4935-B4F1-F2CB013201A5.jpg

98DAD967-AECE-4105-8148-F80ED2B9043C.jpg

Sliding table support arm. Again the radius on the Ed’s of this piece had massive flat spots and where as round as a used eraser.

2ECD2E00-0CB8-47AC-B0FE-28CC491B7F65.jpg

Miter index table. Don’t worry all this stuff is masked off. It looks like o just painted over everything, I promise not even close.

7C01A9C1-CDEE-49D3-BC33-2E29F532AFBE.jpg

One of the sliding table push handles. Again the radius of these was pathetic full of flat spots.

412E9220-D2F9-467D-91BF-EF757E725B40.jpg

Then one of two doors to get to the motor on the base. This is another piece I was skeptical as to it turning out so well. I’m still not happy with the corners wher the the cast meets the mesh screen. I’m gonna have to tend to those with a spot fill product as they will drive me nuts.

21370646-D0DE-44B2-9865-96FCA843CF65.jpg

33E34A9C-08CB-4902-8F74-56F7EF0AA244.jpg
    21370646-D0DE-44B2-9865-96FCA843CF65.jpg

More because of the 8nlicture post limit..

I also have more parts than these in polyester. I’ll see if I have pictures. I ended up spraying Thursday night and last night. As a result all I have to do today is empty the spray booth and walk the dog. Well I should work on my house, tear down the motor, or tear down the base.

What I’ll orobably do is get to work installing hinges on the passage door project.

89296056-3150-4F57-8B56-BE46A2B96FD6.jpg

810B12E2-860B-4FEE-8F85-293A2B159FC0.jpg

The poly gun for those that asked.

98A678D5-F48E-4CAA-9E13-1DDD993EE2AD.jpg

And a reminder if what I have to go.

9985DD66-7B93-4675-B1F9-BEA9F80778A6.jpg

It feels like I have done so much work to this point and the parts are not even in finsh paint and put back together. I fully expect it takes me another month to finish what I have in pieces minimum including putting the various bits and pieces back together when the nicklemoarts come back from the plater. I’m not talking back on the machine.

Then considering soon I’ll be doing 5am through 8:30am the 5pm-8-9pm m-f due to house repair projects needing desperate attention I bet the rest of the base takes me a good 3-5 months to get into finsh paint. At this point I’ll be looking at getting the machine into my shop before fall.

I have my hands and wallet very very full.

I strongly suspect you mean the opposite for the wallet part...

That polyester coating looks great!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    What's the specie on the fridge wall?

I get real tired of paint myself, but it's easily the most profitable since a bunch of variables just evaporate.

-Crap coloration in the wood? Who cares, it's painted.

-Made a boo boo? Bondo to the rescue.

-Somebody didn't sand it perfectly? Paint'll hide it...

Ugly wood in stain goes in the garbage, a dent from something might mean replacement, and sub par sanding glows under stain. I hear ya, but I'll miss them when they're gone. The keep the doors open and the wages up.

You got it.

I’m always rushing to post, couple that with not knowing how to spell or write a proper sentence and it’s a mess. I apologies. You know I could do something about it if I was so motivated but I’d rather be building something.

Yeah the polyester is something special. It makes me think of all kinds of applications for it. The prior artist is me can think of a million places I could had used this tuff over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post

I strongly suspect you mean the opposite for the wallet part...

That polyester coating looks great!!

Martin,

Your spot on but it’s just that type of thinking and work that make me tire of something and find the need to move onto acquiring a new skill set or trade. I fear I’m reaching the end of the line as craftsman and tradesman with regard to that thinking and tactic.

So you know I’m with you, I’ll take a steady pay check, my employer not going belly up and th. Only to afford focusing my desire for perfection on something like say this saw restoration.

From makers perspective though the paint grade bond and paint fix everything mentality makes me just want to quite everything suffocate myself in the garage via car in monoxide...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    What's the specie on the fridge wall?

I get real tired of paint myself, but it's easily the most profitable since a bunch of variables just evaporate.

-Crap coloration in the wood? Who cares, it's painted.

-Made a boo boo? Bondo to the rescue.

-Somebody didn't sand it perfectly? Paint'll hide it...

Ugly wood in stain goes in the garbage, a dent from something might mean replacement, and sub par sanding glows under stain. I hear ya, but I'll miss them when they're gone. The keep the doors open and the wages up.

Made my way to the shop quickly to employ the spray booth somothers could use it.

Pretty thrilled to not be painting today to be honest. Well I’d be pretty happy to be shooting finish but it’s sunny out and I don’t really feel like parting with 2k this week.

Anyway there is absolutely nothing like the right tool for the job and hence my obsession and insistence that good tools make all the difference. Are there a million ways to skin a cat sure, but man what a joy it is to not have to fight and or Mickey Mouse evrythignalong the way.

Best $60 I coulda spent..

ECC4173C-5614-46F1-88AB-721DE8FDB7B7.jpg

0538F0B2-E036-4708-8AFC-E29ABD8C6A37.jpg

Ok David what do I have here. Time to order bearings and I want only the best of the best of the best regardless of if I have to part with a organ.

59A4E5D0-F24B-41FD-934A-75AA6ED52560.jpg

Then my bounty for all my efforts. At this point I’m feeling like all this effort has 110% been completely worth it. May I keep riding this perfectionsatisfaction high free of meltdown and disaster..

42BBB4A0-63EA-43C5-837C-103935747001.jpg

2BB3A562-E399-44C0-8F81-00254A031578.jpg

Lots of sanding to be done next week. I suspect I’m not gonna have any finger tips left this time next week. Somehow I tend to escape sanding the cabinets I make for the most part. My shop mate does not mind sanding and has a fetish for box building and sanding as he goes. I can’t stand building face frames, boxes or sanding so I’m happy to let him do it. It’s a pr4tty good arrangmet now that I think of it.

Fridge is not a wall but a four sided unit. It’s qs cherry, same for island. Fireplace is QS cherry and reconstituted Macassar ebony. Uppers and lowers are QS figured European sycamore.

A5E666BF-3C1B-4FCB-BA29-5B127ACAD323.jpg

7D770D34-7DAE-49C2-8DE4-23091B136400.jpg

D3B5BD00-FFC9-4115-A93D-48A39F566E51.jpg

F045E167-401C-4CAA-BBFC-F36431F4784D.jpg