Page 19 of 100 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Martin T75 restoration

Martin,

Thanks for responding.

Question will that leave me a seamless even factory like finish or will it give me a potential flashy hazy pattern of swirls?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    My go to is a fine wire wheel on an angle grinder, then red scotch pad on a da. Final hit it with chrome polish is a fine liquid rubbing compound, applying with a wool bonnet on a big Milwaukee polisher.

Start with a junk chisel or razor blade if it's real thick.

Alcohol worked well for me for a lubricant once with a scotch pad.

I think vinegar works well for stains? I haven't tried that.

No sand paper. Ruins the grind.

no it wont, razor blade on rust if its there and burgandy scotchbrite on a angle grinder with a cup wheel,. jacks method, I will leave you nice and smooth but it will not be even. I saw that and sunk in for 30 seconds then let that perfect even finish concept go. Wont happen off your scotchbrite, not even after a scotch. It will also depend what you start with.

Capture.jpg
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 12-19-2018 at 6:28 PM.

I haven't noticed anything with a wire wheel if it's a fine one. A course braided one and heavy pressure might be a different story.

Nothing is going to be as crisp and perfect as a fresh grind. You just don't want to remove any metal. A fine wire wheel and reasonable pressure gets you most of the way there. The scotch pad gets it pretty mint. A wool bonnet puts a nice shine on it.

Thanks guys.

That looks pretty good imop form what looks like, just getting started.

Best way to make a top look good, is use the machine. Amazing how well lumber will keep a top nice and shiny.

Bump to instigate progress/pics.

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    Bump to instigate progress/pics.
    Good call. If he's screwing around instead of being productive, I'm going to be disappointed.

Well guys I’m gonna be a huge disappointment..

I’ve been cleaning up after this guy all day.

He has been having a good time to say the least.

10CB2AF2-EA4A-4796-994C-20684EF71926.jpg

Tomorrow I hope to get back to getting something done. The little,guy above really needs some attention from his dad after loosing his sister recently. Add to that I work around the clock and it’s only fair I stop and just do for him.

Anyway I have at least two full weeks off. Maybe a third if the boss can deal without me that long. I hope he can as I have plenty I can stay busy with.

I’m gonna have to split my time over vacation between two projects, the Martin and a number of passage doors for a small addition I put on my house a few years ago and have yet to finish.

Looking up to the second floor of my bungalow. I need to build doors and jambs for this entire space. Over vacation. Three single and one double or mini french door.

I have a pile of 8/4 cvgdf and 8/4 cvgayc for this project. I purchased enough to make all the trim for the entire space including shoji screens to cover all the windows. For now I’m just gonna have to focus on the doors. With the doors the rest is easy. Well maybe not the shoji or the small staircase I need to rebuild stringers risers treads and all. If I can get the doors done it will be a major burden off my shoulders.its been way to long and I need to get this space finished and project behind me. This and the Martin are what I will be doing this winter when I’m not working, well that and walking my dog.

Looking up the stairs and into the space. You can see the entrance doors front and center and two of the closet doors that access sotorge space in the eves.

4F7F30AA-7A37-49C4-84CF-54F0E55420A9.jpg

Looking back down the stairs. All that has to be milled up and rebuilt.

FA1E2158-B4D7-4E39-8F8C-BC494A3817A6.jpg

Looking left

5CC59401-4E88-4FCC-8B1A-78B602C4715F.jpg

Looking right

EE7FDF9D-1A4F-49C9-A661-E87D0195D665.jpg

Front former dressing area nook. On the right there will be two small French doors. On the left a built in chest of drawers all doors are cvgdf stiles and rails and cvgayc panels. Same for the cheat of drawers except they may be slab stile and all ayc?

B98BE26A-D0D5-417E-9064-D79BF5F5FCD1.jpg

Bed wall

DFDB2997-68EC-4C44-A69B-8AC7BD77755F.jpg

Sitting area side

ABFDAED3-B7DF-4C27-8D70-2D0476661CCD.jpg

07E0319A-9753-4171-B9F9-9E89B89CB8DB.jpg

Sorry to disappoint, I’m also,kinda stressed as I really just wanna work on the saw. I may have also found another t-23 without sliding table?

miniture sample door.

7543D53B-24FC-45CE-BB28-4CBED2E0E588.jpg

All trim is cvgdf, I also forgot to mention the front dormer dressing area nook will have a built in bench seat with drawered storage. It will have ayc as either panels for the front if I can make it work or a solid ayc top?

I’m excited about the project and it should be fun. The Martin in is more fun kinda, well maybe not so much as it’s dirty nasty gross work. I can feel myself getting cancer by the hour when I’m working on the restoration. Still the reward is well worth it.

Inspiration room,

http://www.honolulumagazine.com/core...%2F&mode=print
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 12-25-2018 at 5:30 PM.

Patrick...it's REALLY important to take some time to decompress over your vacation given how intense and long you work throughout the year. And your furry friend does deserve to be part of that. Don't worry about us! That said, I'm also looking forward to what you do to that beautiful tool.

----
    BTW, let me know privately if you want the title to this thread edited to better reflect what it's evolved to since there's no Altendorf in the picture now and what you want it to be.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Understand completely about other commitments- family, pets, etc. are more important. Just making sure we keep up on this.
    BTW, that looks like a very nice plaster job! Glassy enough to reflect. There are a lot of good guys down that end of the state. Very few here.

Jim,

You are dead on and I am well aware. I can go like 3-4-5-6 years doing like 70 hrs plus week in week out then tending to my own life in between.

At about the five year mark it normally starts to catch up with me. The problem becomes slowing down is almost more painful than just keeping the head down and plowing forward.

What do they say habits are made and broken in three weeks time. My dog needs me, he is 9 going on 10 with a life expectancy of 10-13. He has been very patient with me the last number of years. It’s clear he is still adjusting to the loss of his best friend also.

The reminder on your part is both kind of you and welcome. I have learnt quite a bit from SMC and a number of its members over the years. FYI I enjoyed your holiday gifts pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Patrick...it's REALLY important to take some time to decompress over your vacation given how intense and long you work throughout the year. And your furry friend does deserve to be part of that. Don't worry about us! That said, I'm also looking forward to what you do to that beautiful tool.

----
    BTW, let me know privately if you want the title to this thread edited to better reflect what it's evolved to since there's no Altendorf in the picture now and what you want it to be.

Peter,

I won’t let this go. Once I get my mind on something it’s nearly impossible to get to it off. I knew despite having a long vacation ahead of me I would have to divide my time up between a few tasks. My intention with the saw is to have it ready to move into my shop come spring. Beyond that my intention is to only work five ten hour days a week for the duration of the winter. Being I tend to start at 6am and not break for lunch and I get paid for lunch that means at 3pm I can close out everyday and out in a few good hours and still get home before 7pm. For me that’s just pretty normal.

I figure I can sneak i 4-8hrs on weekends also. My intention is to tear off, break down and fully prep and restore the sliding table and any other loose ends I have started on relating to the sliding table and outrigger by the time I go back to work. At this time I’ll probably prime, paint and reassemble all these pieces. Once that’s behind me I’ll dive into the main Body of the saw.

Sadly my pup does not like loud noises. He is the most pampered giant meat headed lap dog I ever have met. He is afraid of freaking birds for Christ sake.

Believe it or not I have also found good plasterers hard to come by even in eastern mass. In 20 years of residential and I guess some commercial construction I have known of two plasters whom did work I considered exceptional. One of them did my space. I will say this though, he did a better job on my house than I ever saw him do on anyone else’s project. I thank him much for doing so.

I have a reputation amongst site based workers for being overly anal retentive and unessisraly prideful in my work. I think this gentleman was kind enough to go above and beyond for me as he knew how important perfect was to me being this my own home and also knowing how dearly I was paying $$$ to even pull the project off. One working man to another he did me a huge favor and insisted his guys give me their A+++ job.

I’ll keep up
    Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    Understand completely about other commitments- family, pets, etc. are more important. Just making sure we keep up on this.
    BTW, that looks like a very nice plaster job! Glassy enough to reflect. There are a lot of good guys down that end of the state. Very few here.
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 12-25-2018 at 7:09 PM.

So this won’t seem like much but it is evidence that I have not forgotten about this project.

These parts all go to the outrigger fence. Most all of them were covered in that green paint and light to moderate rust.

I soaked them all in laquer thinner then in wd40 rust remover. I looked for the Evaporust product suggested by Darcy but failed. The wd40 product works very well. I put the parts in a bucket at 6 am and pulled them out at 3pm. A light wire brush and any remains rust was all but gone.

I’ll now take any non functioning pieces of these parts to a polisher with a wire wheel then work through the grits to get consistent finish. Things like the metal kipp levers I may have nickel or brass plated?

I also got the center portion or aluminum miter index portion of the outrigger table/fence stripped of its paint. I was able to do that with a DA. The casting on this piece is miserable. It also is rather small and does not offer much support. I may or may not have and or re fabricate a more modern version with more support.

Beyond that I pulled the rip fence and rip fence extension off the machine today. Also the electrical box cover and the hand crank to move the sliding table for dado. I’ll break all that down tomorrow and get it soaking in laquer thinner.

It’s not much but it’s something. A little at a time with a weekend here and there maybe a weeks vacation and this should actually get done.

Right now much of my efforts are going into learning and applying a French polish finish to a number of interior passage doors and jambs I just finished building. Holly crap I seem to really like suffering. I have known this for a few decades now though.

011E0CBD-C672-4E88-8DA7-DDE645688824.jpg