Page 67 of 100 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1500

Thread: Vintage Martin T75 restoration

If that's your mom, you must be a teenager...no way she's the age you state which is only a year younger than me! LOL Seriously, nice job on the surface of that porch floor. It looks great!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Possible dream job!

Sending pm..

You know I never ever let anyone do anything on my house but electrical. Well I let a friend help me frame a shed dormer off one side as I had a giant 17” doubled up LVL to lift into place. And you guessed it, the bone head set the the dam thing almost 1” off center.

You know I just hate to hire anyone to do anything but if I didn’t from time to time I’d never get to do something like the Martin project or build something for myself. The fact is I work 10-15 hrs a day pretty much seven days a week and have now for at least ten years. I took a hiatus and lived out of the back of my truck while I rock and ice climbed for five years cuz I was having a nervous breakdown regarding being a “lifer of a tradesman” and hating every moment of it but not knowing what to do about it.

Other than that I work round the clock. Oh I had that same meltdown in my 20’s and whet and raced road bikes pro for a few years. Not enough alone time for me racing bikes. Riding bikes yes, racing not so much..

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Looks great! The first house I built, I hired subs. For the next 44 years, I've done everything myself, and I'm sure you know why.

Did you see the ad for a custom organ company that's looking for a cabinetmaker? If not, send me a PM, and I'll send you a link.
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 05-28-2019 at 8:33 PM.

Yup that’s my mom born July 26th 1958. I was born November 19th 1977. She was 19 when I was born, with all I put her through you would think she look 130 lol..

She’s my best friend no bs. I get her up on staging hanging 30’ runs of gutter with me and she is petrified of heights. Normally fear of heights and work are a recipe for a bad accident. Not in the case of her iron will.

Thanks on the deck. I laid the whole thing with a 96” Stabilia r-beam level. It’s not “perfect” but dam close thanks to my custom milled PT rips I laminated my joist with..

Lots of work yet to do. The whole underside is five piece panels made of 5/4 and 1/2 azek. The roof will be supported by eight pre cast fiberglass columns. Then move the door 15” then cedar shakes, then move onto the next side.

I should be done by December 1st

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    If that's your mom, you must be a teenager...no way she's the age you state which is only a year younger than me! LOL Seriously, nice job on the surface of that porch floor. It looks great!

Umm.....do you ever, like...eat and sleep? LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yeah I eat when I stop working, then normally I fall right asleep.

I’ll relax a bit when and if I ever can retire..

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Umm.....do you ever, like...eat and sleep? LOL

I will rest when I am dead.

Man o man I have hit a major rough patch as we all do from time to time.

Every time I turn outbound something has been blowing up in my face for a good month or so.

As a result I have not had much of any time to work on the saw. I still have pods and ends above and beyond putting it back together.

I’m knee deep in a porch build and exterior home renovation so that doesn’t help either.

Oh well...

01820DA7-B98B-4764-BF53-FAC505DBEEBD.jpg

E7D03CF6-00E3-4CE6-A4DD-98878BAFD253.jpg

411C87A7-366C-4C38-AA8E-5BA72394DC3B.jpg

I put a straight edge “a level” on the aluminum tables after instal. They are not very flat if your talking calibrating them to a cast table with dial indicators.

I’m now considering maybe using high tolerance delrin to replace them if I can get it in thickness that’s a exact match. Who knows though even high tolerance delrin may be only as good as what I already have.

Honestly it’s good enough for 99.9% of what anyone would ever do on a saw. I just like tools that are perfect. On the flip side I. So used to making due with machines that are anything but calibrated perfectly that what much does it really matter. I can make really nice stuff with tools that are crap.

But I’d rather not you know.

Blog Entries
    Are the underlying milled sections flat/true?

I don't think you'll be all that impressed with Delrin and the T-slot will not hold equipment well if the tops are Delrin.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 06-01-2019 at 11:41 PM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I would agree with Brian- plastic will not work. If you could find some aluminum sheet of the approximate size that was anodized, or could be, that would be just the ticket.

10. Hey Guys, Does anyone here have an old manual for the Martin T75G. I have the opportunity to buy one from a cabinet shop and wanted to see if there was any literature out there that might assist in the servicing and rebuild to get the saw back up to speed.

There is no manual available for the saw. There is some brochure type material available , but nothing of value. This thread contains basically a step by step rebuild instruction. There is also a detailed t-17 rebuild thread on the Canadian woodworking forum. Its essentially the same saw, with a different sliding table. I, as well as a few others on this forum have or had the t-75 and are available to help.

Blog Entries
    Patrick, has all work on the restoration been stopped?

Patrick, many posts ago you were being critical of your paint job and said something like, "Well, it's less orange peel than I see on new cars". For some reason that line stuck with me, although it didn't make sense, as I couldn't see orange peel in the paint on my cars.

Well, I bought a new Tesla, and the first thing I thought was: "Wow, the paint on this looks horrible!". It's like they painted it with a roller.

So, you're a jerk for spoiling my ignorance! Now every time I wash it I find myself thinking, "There's a guy with a table saw painted nicer than this..."

Wow, wow, wow, slow the short bus down,

I wouldn’t go that far, my paint all be it less orange peel right off the gun than most cars does have a nib here and there your car does not. I opted to not wet sand and polish it had I you might have something to worry about. I assure you your car has a nicer paint job.

Plus I’m pretty sure Tesla is all about eco friendly and I bet their paints are not half as toxic as what I used on my saw. So you know unlike me “a eco friendly tree hugging snow flake liberal” you can sleep at night knowing your making good decisions for the earth. While I on the other hand have a blood on my hands and am riddled with guilt.

I’m not really that torn but I do feel bad.

n
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Patrick, many posts ago you were being critical of your paint job and said something like, "Well, it's less orange peel than I see on new cars". For some reason that line stuck with me, although it didn't make sense, as I couldn't see orange peel in the paint on my cars.

Well, I bought a new Tesla, and the first thing I thought was: "Wow, the paint on this looks horrible!". It's like they painted it with a roller.

So, you're a jerk for spoiling my ignorance! Now every time I wash it I find myself thinking, "There's a guy with a table saw painted nicer than this..."

Patrick,
    How's the restoration progressing?
    I'm looking forward to seeing this saw run!