Page 30 of 100 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Martin T75 restoration

Let me know when you have finished what you would have to charge for this if you were doing it for a living.

Have been following this thread. Pretty amazing.
    I would never see myself doing this just the shear amount of time it takes. Let alone doing this for a living.

Funny Mark,

In all honesty I wouldn’t do this for a living. Well that’s not true I have not afforded myself the luxury to choose so far in this life what I do and don’t do for work. Honestly that’s pretty much true, I have tried my best to direct myself closer to what I would like to do for a living but still the choice is made for me more than it is not.

I’ll tell you this, I wouldn’t take $20K for this machine when it’s done that’s for sure. I don’t mean that as snide I mean it as a compliment.

But yes if someone brought me a machine and said I want this one like that one. I’d do it for like $6K a month plus materials. See now there is not a chance anyone will be knocking at my door.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    Let me know when you have finished what you would have to charge for this if you were doing it for a living.

And without the inspiration of Marks t17 I wouldn’t be either.

See I’m that fool that believes in himself enough that if he sees someone else do something he believes he can do it to if he wants it bad enough. I want this saw that bad. And a T21 and a Wadkin Lathe and a Maka and and and....

And I’m not made of money this is the best path to my wants. Hard work is always the only path availible to me. So far in life my choice has always been WORK HARDER!

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    Have been following this thread. Pretty amazing.
    I would never see myself doing this just the shear amount of time it takes. Let alone doing this for a living.

Hi Patrick, Keep at it you are doing a great job.

It is a tremendous amount of work for sure. I had to do a lot of filler, sanding, primer, sanding prep to get a decent surface. The masking takes a long time too.
    Don't quit your day job: it's hard to find people to pay for rebuilt machines. Mostly just lowballers.
    Not like cars where people drop $20,000 as a deposit for a paint job without batting an eye.

I have a bunch of machines that i want to rebuild for myself, if i can ever find the time.

Great job, enjoying the thread.

Thanks mark,

Even if your just being polite I’ll take the compliment.

To be honest I’m pretty much over the idea of anyone being willing to pay for a job well done or top quality. I have been a tradesman of a myriad of skill set for at least 20 years now. I have also been lucky enough to live in a fairly affluent metropolitan area hence mostly insuring employment and access to fairly refined work.

In those 20 plus years I have learnt one thing if nothing else. 99.9% of people do not recognize quality. And then those that do will “most of the time” tell you “yeah nobody is gonna pay for that”, I’m talking true quality that only a maker of things can understand. And even they I’m pretty sure not all “makers” even appreciate the execution of perfection like some do as I have worked side by side rig so many that make but could care less about making. I’m not quite sure where I got this bug or how it was instilled in me but it’s there. Most of the time I feel pretty inadequate and with ever project I’m trying my best to rise to the occasion of the task at hand.

At this point being compensated to realize such a ideal or whatever you may has long since left my radar. In all honesty the reason I do something such as restore this machine or build a bunch of interior passage doors out of the finest materials with overkill joinery is because there is a desire towards perfection that I just have to feed that people just no longer are willing to pay for but for some reason is the only reason I do what I do other than solitude. Maybe the above has always been the case and I just need to fall in with the right crowd. Whatever the case I long ago gave up on the idea of being compensated to fulfill such desires. As a result like so many of us I burn the midnight oil and moonlight in what I don’t know in hopes when I’m done I will know...

I have a feeling many here understand exactly what I’m talking about. I imagine at times the things I have wrote come across as though I’m some kinda ass and I just might be, actually is am. I hope the above does not add to that mystique, if so, so be it I guess as most I meet can be a a-hole at least part of the time in some way or another.

I’ll just be happy to have this batch of parts in finish paint and put back together and functioning again properly. It’s a little nerve wracking so many pieces and knowing I have to put it back together and get it the machine dialed back in to my exacting standards. It’s a rather simple machine so I’m not so sure why I’m so worried. In all honestly it you’ll be pretty easy. May I not live to eat those words..

i]
    Hi Patrick, Keep at it you are doing a great job.

It is a tremendous amount of work for sure. I had to do a lot of filler, sanding, primer, sanding prep to get a decent surface. The masking takes a long time too.
    Don't quit your day job: it's hard to find people to pay for rebuilt machines. Mostly just lowballers.
    Not like cars where people drop $20,000 as a deposit for a paint job without batting an eye.

I have a bunch of machines that i want to rebuild for myself, if i can ever find the time.

Great job, enjoying the thread.
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 02-17-2019 at 6:53 PM.

Enjoying the progress!
    You will definitely have the nicest T75 on the planet when done. Small consolation I know, but somebody has to do it, and you have a small audience here to encourage you through it.
    I want to come see it when you are done. I am plenty close enough for that, and I’d be happy to buy you a beer to toast your accomplishment!
    Very hard for people to appreciate the work involved unless they have done it.

Well I’m glad a few people enjoy it even if they are also makers and not gonna ever oayanyone one of us for such a task.

In all honesty I post about it as I’m half proud of what I’m doing and to show off and second to put it in black and white for others. Maybe just maybe it inspires another to take on a task they might not have “like mark did for me” or helps another that does not need insperataion but might have a question. I know at least one person requests I document the taking apart and re building of the sliding table. The sliding table was the one part I was so scared of and now having it apart it is actually unreal just how simple the whole thing is constructed and works.

Let’s hope I a, crying the same tune when I go to outbthat sliding table back together and calibrate the machine. I will say this I often build up the task of calibrating a machine into this huge scary complicated task far above my pay grade. The t73 at work was the first slider I have ever had to calibrate and really the only slider I have any experience with adjusting. I had to fully take the sliding table off that saw to get it into our shop. I got it fully calibrated and cutting machinist perfect using only feeler gauges. Yeah I dare take a dai few dial indicator to it but it costs perfect so the proof is in the pudding right.

Anytime you wanna come to the shop feel free. Sadly I think I’ll be moving this saw into my personal shop in pieces and you won’t actually get to see the shop I work at “a real shop” but you will g4t to see this saw

This is all provided I finish and only hypothetical at this point.

Nah I’ll finish. I gotta get this done before spring and the weather turns as Im soon to be reprimanded to finish building my front farmers porch, trimming the exerior of my whole house “I’m half done” and painting the whole thing.

Yup I’m screwed come spring hence motivated to get this done so it doesn’t sit.

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    Enjoying the progress!
    You will definitely have the nicest T75 on the planet when done. Small consolation I know, but somebody has to do it, and you have a small audience here to encourage you through it.
    I want to come see it when you are done. I am plenty close enough for that, and I’d be happy to buy you a beer to toast your accomplishment!
    Very hard for people to appreciate the work involved unless they have done it.

Patrick my compliment was sincere.

I understand completely what you have said.
    People are made different ways, some are more pragmatic, they are based in dealing with the world the way that it is.
    Some of us are made to see the world the way that it could be, and are compelled to pursue it. It is a hard road but if it is your road, then you must travel it.
    People will tell you that it is not necessary, and they are right it's not...not for them.
    There is nothing in this world that is necessary.
    You get one life, you make the rules, do yours how you see it.

On a side note form all my babble.

While moving parts out of the spray booth and back into our shop I noticed a couple things. I was walking by the Scm planer and the sun hit the paint just so and I noticed it had a consistent and deliberate heavy orange peel texture/finish to the paint.

I have screwed around with the much older T73 Martin to know ithad a fairly smooth semi gloss like finish. This prompted me to take a look at my t-54 Martin “brand new” it’s a has a slight but intentional orangpeel finish.

Now I have been thinking from the starting gate a low sheen orange peel finish will look best as the machine is used and ages.

Non the less I proceeded as I am.

Just felt like sharing my thoughts. I often don’t share many of my thoughts on this project as I’m busy babbling about whatever or rushing to document what I did at the end of a day.

Do a better job loser, looks like a drunk toddler with brain damage and a wrench has been working on that poor piece of German engineering.

There, now every time you think you can slack, remember it ain't all sunshine getting thrown your way.

#motivator.

The orange peel texture I am almost positive comes from the machines being painted with a roller. My brother worked at Husky the injection mold maker. His job was to clean and paint for a while. He saw the paint on my SCM widebelt and my Martin machines and told me it was the same texture as the molds he painted.

I appreciate your sense of humor, or honesty either way I don’t care much as you had either the webos to say it or are just a ass clown enough to make me laugh and few can as you gotta say something pretty way outa left field, crude or whatever...

Ok ok I’ll spend the next two months buffing these parts smooth as eggs...

If your a Dave Chappell fan your get the reference. If not google Dave Chappel smooth as eggs and watch a video clip..

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Do a better job loser, looks like a drunk toddler with brain damage and a wrench has been working on that poor piece of German engineering.

There, now every time you think you can slack, remember it ain't all sunshine getting thrown your way.

#motivator.

Worlds of wisdom.

And a ideal I have done a decent job of living by. It is hard however to not let life try and divert off ones natural path.

You made me think tonight about a few things I have not for a little bit now. Well at least a bit more deeply. I could say more but then it’s just getting over the top and nobody wants to hear it.

Patrick my compliment was sincere.

I understand completely what you have said.
    People are made different ways, some are more pragmatic, they are based in dealing with the world the way that it is.
    Some of us are made to see the world the way that it could be, and are compelled to pursue it. It is a hard road but if it is your road, then you must travel it.
    People will tell you that it is not necessary, and they are right it's not...not for them.
    There is nothing in this world that is necessary.
    You get one life, you make the rules, do yours how you see it.
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 02-17-2019 at 10:32 PM.

Hmm,

I was a painter for longer than I care to admit. Why I dint know, well unrecognized or exercised potential I guess. Now many years later I understand that thinking is warped. Anyway I agree it does look like roller texture. Or the spray pattern left when a spray gun is set with the pressure waaaaay to low a flow or volume of paint waaay to high.

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    The orange peel texture I am almost positive comes from the machines being painted with a roller. My brother worked at Husky the injection mold maker. His job was to clean and paint for a while. He saw the paint on my SCM widebelt and my Martin machines and told me it was the same texture as the molds he painted.