Page 63 of 100 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Martin T75 restoration

Patrick, not quite following you here. Does the T73 have the parallelogram miter fence? If so it should do everything to support the workpiece and get the end block close to the blade. On the 72 there is a pin to release to do this. Also the 72 has a battery for the digital that is charged by a cord from the machine. The T73 might be different.
    And the Miter X does not need a bracket. Its built into the unit for mounting. Post a picture of the 73.

Patrick,

I'm so glad to know there is another person out there that has the same type A, OCD, perfectionist personality like mine, LOL
    My Ex never understood it and my girl friend is starting to have a hard time with it.

Outstanding work, I dream of doing similar work when I find the time to retire some day

Was curious, have you done a comparison with the amount of time spent so far on your rebuild versus the time spent writing and sharing on this blog?

Keep it coming

David
    Last edited by David Less; 04-29-2019 at 8:36 PM.

I keep to myself for the most part as I don’t enjoy much driving others crazy with my perfectionism.

Honestly I spend about 3-6hrs a day working on the machine and then unwind updating this post after I eat my dinner most nights.

I’d say and you should be able to tell by my lack of punctuation, spelling so forth and so on that i rush through my updates. Id say it takes me maybe 1o minutes at most each evening.

hey, sorry to change and steal your thread but any chance I can ask you a private question about your AD941? I saw your other post

David

Of course shoot...

Quote Originally Posted by David Less View Post
    hey, sorry to change and steal your thread but any chance I can ask you a private question about your AD941? I saw your other post

David

Well today i started my day emptying the spray booth. I didn’t really know where to start as anything in need of paint needs a wet sand and more importantly to cure fully before I do anything.

Mostly the base was on my mind but you know I’ll leave it sitting for a good month before I attempt to sand it. I have plenty of other things to keep busy so it’s just a smart decision to be patient. If I’m being perfectly honest I’m really on the fence regarding giving it another coat. I have to do it though as if I’m thinking it now and don’t ill forever regret it.

I ended up using the rest of my morning to sand out a louvered shutter and couple doors for my own bathroom that I have need to paint for years.

This evening I decided to just dive head first into assembling the trunion. Anything else I need to put together either require I order bearings and or the odd piece of whatever component needs a wet sand and re paint.

I have a few other odds and ends but nothing quite as involved as what I wrapping up and hinestly it’s like fitting all the doors to a kitchen I just built or sanding everything in preparation for the painter. Well actually that’s not true it’s more jsut like there is stil so many little things to do and where do I start. Being I’m not assembling the machine at work but bringing it home in parts it requires a tad bit more forethought and isn’t so I rant gradification. I’m pretty instant gradification motivated even being my relentless patients toward perfection and attitude of the slow and steady wins the race.

Anyway only two pictures tonight but man getting the masking tape off revails just how awesome every last little detail on this machine is. It also makes me think just how sweet the finished product is going to be and read as a whole.

With the talk today of fabricating a custom crosscut fence, knowing I need to find a solution to make the hand wheel over the top and the expense $$$ involved in bothe such endeavor also might be slowing my pace and wearing on my enthusiasm a bit. But again slow and steady and stay the course and I’ll be one happy cabinet maker sooner or later. Hinestly I am happy and still enjoying the crap out of this. I’m just broke and tired and about to embark on about six months of 50-60 hr weeks again along with 10-12mhr days working in my house through fall.

AF15DFC6-E270-4208-9BA8-E1ECF8F95069.jpg

88291BB5-A780-4120-B487-AC8C5D93A4CE.jpg

Pretty darn slick right?

I have the bolts soaking in laquer thinner for this portion of the project. I forgot to soak and prep them as this piece came apart and I was knee deep in paint land. Tomorrow morning I’ll give them a scrub and put this thing togehter. I’ll probably use a artist brush to paint the screw heads after the fact. Or maybe I’ll just replace them. I’ll only paint them to protect them from corrosion as nobody is ever gonna see them inside the saw.

Joe,

Can’t lame you here..

This is what I get for interneting while at lunch with the guys..

I’m no longer at the shop but I’ll get some pictures of the t73 tomorrow and we can revisit the subject then.

I suspect I just don’t know what I don’t know about the saw and or am just kissing something very obveous like maybe moving the fence to cut at 45 forward vrs back towards me thus closing the gap between the crosscut fence and blade.

Again I’ll wait to have pictures to share.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    Patrick, not quite following you here. Does the T73 have the parallelogram miter fence? If so it should do everything to support the workpiece and get the end block close to the blade. On the 72 there is a pin to release to do this. Also the 72 has a battery for the digital that is charged by a cord from the machine. The T73 might be different.
    And the Miter X does not need a bracket. Its built into the unit for mounting. Post a picture of the 73.
    S

Brian,
    That looks pretty interesting! Yes 60 “ would be about right for the small saw. I don’t think I would have the skill to put it all together, be interesting to see what you come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Congrats Joe! Enjoy the saw.

This:http://www.lm76.com/speed_guide.htm

Embedded into 60" of aluminum would be cool. You could mount a block on top which could carry a micro adjustable flip stop and battery powered DRO which utilizes a magnetic strip also mounted in the aluminum to give accurate positioning without going to computer operated.

I've been doing a bit too much day dreaming in this regard lately, as you can see

Well joe I never took pictures, my shopmate whom is not tool setup or repair inclined or maybe just not motivated to such tasks needed the saw and asked me to put the fence back to 90%. In a panic or rather rush to do so I forgot to take pictures.

I will revisit the topic thought as you have info that would be very useful to me provided you are willing to take the time to share. Namely the battery and cord function of the miter index that I can’t get to work on the t73. It would be so nice to get it working if possible.

Got the trunion buttoned up today. Well buttoned up only to find a area of paint that did not adhere very well. It was hugely disappointing. In retrospect it’s confined to a area that I can mask off rather easily and make the repair. So as aggravated or heartbroken as I was it really could be so much worse.

Also srtruggled like sob to get one of the tapered pins back into one of the cogs and spindles. For whatever reason the hole just did not align perfect between the cog and the spindle all the way through. As a result the pin was getting hung up on the edge of the cog in one side. It was almost like draw boring it together. It’s done now and nothing broke or anything like that so I’ll take the lost time as a win.

Other than that I didn’t order bearing yet again. I really gottta get that done. Sadly it comes down to the placing a order during normal business hours and I have been rather busy at work. I’m just gonna go with Jeff’s suggestion to the place local to me so I can just talk to someone.

She is petty ain’t she...

2A1CD517-B399-45CE-80AB-B4ED3A9E982F.jpg

8B5ADAD7-5A1C-4B52-9F99-967E2B766ABD.jpg

The trunion in person is just massive. I was standing back today looking at this piece from a distance, it was parked all day just outside the bathroom of our shop. Everytime I walked by it I couldn’t help but think “my god this saw is a beast”. The T73 is pretty nice but it’s nothing compared to this imop. Sure the football fiel d cast iron top is pretty slick and it shares many of the same design or engineering of this t75 but it’s just not built nearly as beefy and it’s so darn complex with all its electronics. I looked inside that machine again today to clean dust for, under it and my head began to spin looking at all the crap waiting to go wrong.

CC587EDB-12AA-49C2-82CB-2DCE7C95D2AB.jpg

8B5ADAD7-5A1C-4B52-9F99-967E2B766ABD.jpg

86DEED61-F0CF-4C19-A76B-09F2F4EDE073.jpg

That’s it...

Looking good Patrick.

Is it possible that you switched the cogs, as they will only fit the ones that they came off. Lots of time when you have pins they only fit exactly the shaft they came off, and they position that they were in. if they are straight pins or spring pins you have to make sure that they are the correct way, if you rotate the shaft 180 degrees the pins wont fit. It seems they are drilled together, and must go back the exact same way.

You know mark I don’t think so as if I remember correct I only took off the one in question. And the one for the worm gear as to get the shaft out.

The one I had issue with is top right in the pictures. The other one like it I don’t believe I ever removed as the shaft just slipped out of the machine the way I took it apart.

I’ll have to consult my library of photos to be positive.

Blog Entries
    The pin sounds like it was out 180 degrees. The holes are not always dead center on the shaft and do it makes that effect, do if you get one like that spin one part 180 and see if it fits together more normally. A press for pin should assemble easily, the holes are usually only .0005 to .001” press fit. That’s a light fit.

Edit:

Sorry to repeat Mark’s advice, I did not refresh my page before replying.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I hate to say it but I'm also relieved to say.

I spun the cog 180%

It was one of the first things I thought after assuring I had the taper correct
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    The pin sounds like it was out 180 degrees. The holes are not always dead center on the shaft and do it makes that effect, do if you get one like that spin one part 180 and see if it fits together more normally. A press for pin should assemble easily, the holes are usually only .0005 to .001” press fit. That’s a light fit.

Edit:

Sorry to repeat Mark’s advice, I did not refresh my page before replying.

Patrick just get the darn thing finished and working! The popcorn is running out!

I dont rush unless your paying me.

Then I only rush if your paying me really well.

Well I don't rush anything I'm the slightest invested in or has my name on it. Now if it has your name on in it and I'm being compensated to my liking I'll do whatever you want.

Neither of the above apply to this project.

I don't care for snacks either. I get full easily..

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    Patrick just get the darn thing finished and working! The popcorn is running out!
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 05-01-2019 at 10:16 PM.