Page 91 of 100 FirstFirst ... 4181878889909192939495 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 1500

Thread: Vintage Martin T75 restoration

Yeah Jim I have a feeling I am unaware what kind of gift I just may be receiving being exposed to and welcomed into the world of pipe organs. I fully expect I will develop a deep appreciation for them the same as those whom I know at this point that already are.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I missed the new gig news....that's an AWESOME opportunity to do something both different and skill building! Pipe organs are da bomb and having had the privilege of playing a few (very few, sadly) over my lifetime and they are amazing instruments

Not at this shop mark, at least not yet

One of my responsibilities will be machine maintenance however. My opinion and desires will also be looked to I believe as the main cabinet maker. So who knows but right now they have a modest shop. Seems they have been getting it done this way to date. And who am I to have a opinion at this point being I have never built a pipe organ.

I have seen examples of the work I will be responsible for producing. The consul to date they have sub contracted out. I would think they will be open to my suggestions and requests.

We will see. I am optimistic it will all be good. But man I’d love nothing more than a supersurfacer and a Maka to aid in my building..

They to date don’t even have a shaper. I can’t help but think that sliding table Gomad is the perfect machine for them. But you know I want it for myself lol..

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    Congrats on the new job Patrick. You may get to play with a Maka and a supersurfacer, as these are some of the companies that use them.

Yeah the wall was a smart move.. been procrastinating on it for years.

I’m not as enameled esthetically by my hand tool arrangement but in light of workflow I could really care less.

The facts are the chop saw station will also go long term, baby steps.

When the jointer moves in and the new planer is purchased I’ll need the space. The footprint on both machines is like 6x10’ without considering infeed or outfeed.

Then a second shaper and all I have room for is the one bench.

It seems nuts to put so much into a shop when I have a 9-5 working in a shop. My shop is always nicer than the shop I work in. But you know the evolution of my shop has matriculated side by side with my skill level. I feel strongly that if not for my desire and insistence to build such a shop I would not have gotten where I am. To date and very often when working on something special even for my employer I gave ended up doing such work in my own shop. Some would say that’s nuts. I feel the opposite I feel lucky to get paid to learn..

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Nice work on that wall, Patrick! Glad the switch arrived safe and sound.

So I tore my shop apart again. The pile of construction debris in the back of my van proves it. Gonna be a trip to the dump as apposed to using the dumpster at work.

But it’s all back together for the most part. A few hose adapters are needed to get the dust collection fully functioning and the left side of my miter station is a eye sore. But for now it’s good enough. I added a couple more lights over the saw stop and that really really helped.

Be nice if that pole was not there but I can crosscut 79 to the left of the blade. If it’s a short enough cut like 12” thenpole is not even in the way.

3D7C2715-0174-426F-9A1D-EDA3DB00B400.jpg

0FDACFD3-3CFA-4AE9-91F6-476B46BFDF0E.jpg

Feels like a football field by comparison. It’s nothing compared to a working shop but you know it’s not a working shop.

247A1532-42B0-4283-917C-4834CFC469EF.jpg

6F9AFC45-8AB9-4908-8186-61BB3A15895F.jpg

Now I just gotta win the lottery to get electrified. Then I gotta get the machine shop motivated same with plater.

This came to me via this thread a few weeks ago now.

I’m pretty much ready to go buy it in lue of getting electrified. I can sell my Felder to pay for the purchase.

I spoke to the owner today for the first time. He purchased the machine at auction. I was informed that pictures don’t show what looks to be some very minor and or light hammer marks in the cast iron top. The seller was willing to deliver and I was inclined to take the offer as the machine is six hours away.

Being what I learnt of the hammer marks I think I had better go take a look. The seller is also a woodworker with what sounds like good taste in machinery. He assured me the marks do not affect performance. Non the less I’m a very picky guy and I think best I take a long drive. Not thrilled with a six hour one way drive as I bet it cost me $125 in gas and tolls. But who knows maybe I come back with a new machine?

4F996F11-5F6A-43F4-B4E1-D11DA5F1A7E4.jpg

26E3EDB3-CBD7-42AD-9DDF-6DC89ADC45B3.jpg

87915165-58CB-47BD-8CF1-DB264BA6DB29.jpg

CB5D0649-F235-41D1-98A1-9C4DFE589977.jpg

I have been looking for a t23 in good shape for a number years now. I’d prefer a sliding table but I want one of each honestly. So I have always said if I find either one I need to be prepared to jump on it. It never ever seems to be the case.

I also have a Gomad sliding table local to me that looks to be in very good shape. So you know I’m kinda torn. I honestly can’t have both right now as much as I would like to. I have to many loose ends on the saw and the electricity to tend to.

I also can’t help but think if I wait long enough I’ll find that cherry machine for the right price. No point in buying anything less than fully functional and intact.

I think I’ll take a ride and take a look. I am taking off three weeks before the start of the new job. And the new van has yet to see a good road trip. I’m told diesel vehicles like to get in a few good miles here and there to clean them out..

Nice iron collection you got there. I'm jealous; you have an Inca bandsaw and I have been looking for one for years. Almost had one earlier in the year but the seller had another potential buyer coming to look prior to my inquiry. Oh well-I'll keep looking.

It could be yours if you wanted it bad enough, I could arrange shipping..

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Nice iron collection you got there. I'm jealous; you have an Inca bandsaw and I have been looking for one for years. Almost had one earlier in the year but the seller had another potential buyer coming to look prior to my inquiry. Oh well-I'll keep looking.

Side note, the factory riving knife mounts and riving knives for these saws suck. Poorly designed/made, finicky and just plain irritating.

I am looking to adapt/modify the newer style mount (80s era t71) so that one can purchase the knives directly from martin.

I would post pictures here, but it's too much work from my phone. Feel free to find them on my IG feed.

Must be a common thing.... both my shapers have hammer marks on them! Not sure why so many guys are so quick to use a shaper table as an anvil

The marks wouldn't bother me if the machine was a good price..... but I think you may have a different standard for machines than I do

JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    Must be a common thing.... both my shapers have hammer marks on them! Not sure why so many guys are so quick to use a shaper table as an anvil
    I think most of that abuse is done in commercial shops run by the owner's brother-in- law. Not in home shops.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-16-2019 at 8:37 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Some of the best machines I have owned had some serious anvil sections on the backs/ends of tables.

It really doesn't bother me.

Darcy ,I guess it depends on the project. Many shops run parts for large projects face down to asure face alignment .
    Damaged tables often make operators run face up. I've seen that make for extra sanding. Even if all the pieces went
    thru the planer at same time.

Slow down Jeff and back up the bus.

I’m kinda feeling judged

Oddly I’m told the marks are all in front of the spindle and that the back of the machine is perfect. Go figure. I guess it was purchased at auction with a sub table on it. Who knows the story. I’ll have to see this with my own two eyes. If it’s in good enough shape to work to my standards on so be it I’ll live with the marks.

If not I make a offer and take the machine right to Peters guy in Michigan. Well if it’s really that simple. Bet I could fork lift it into my van, drive it to Michigan, remove the table “I think by joes thread” it’s easy. Let them do their thing. Bolt it back to the machine and drive it home. Lots of work and not how I was thinking I would spend my holiday vacation but you know I kinda have a tendency for doing whacked out eye bleeding marathon death march kinda stuff.

I’ll go look at the Gomad this week also.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post

The marks wouldn't bother me if the machine was a good price..... but I think you may have a different standard for machines than I do

JeffD

Mel,

It’s amazing how little regard employees have for employers possessions. The good news for me is none of these machines will ever see the hands of anyone but me. I may make a few bucks using them, actually I will make a few bucks using them but if the day ever came I needed employees i sure as hell would never use any of the machines in my personal shop. No freaking way not a chance.

Sure even this shiny Martin saw will get a wrench, a heavy piece of stock or whatever bounced off it at some point and it will end up with wounds as any machine does. But it will never be abused the way a machine is by a employee whom has zero respect for the boss.

How in the hell a guy decides to use a machines surface for anything but wood I can just never understand. This shaper for instance was $9999 in 1982. That’s like a $80k one in 2020. Well not quite but pretty much. I’d loose my mind if I ever saw a employe with a hammer near any one of my machines. Crap even a sander a wrench a pice of stock with a staple in it sitting on the machine. It all wrecks my head.

But I take very good care of stuff be it mine or someone else’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I think most of that abuse is done in commercial shops run by the owner's brother-in- law. Not in home shops.

I run face down...

I’m not into machines that can’t be setup well enough to not need to fettle and sand blah blah. I’m not a millworker and it’s not all just destined for a widebelt or to be slathered in a thick coat of primer. I expect a machine to operate to as perfect a tolerance I am willing to take the time to setup..

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Darcy ,I guess it depends on the project. Many shops run parts for large projects face down to asure face alignment .
    Damaged tables often make operators run face up. I've seen that make for extra sanding. Even if all the pieces went
    thru the planer at same time.