Page 47 of 100 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Martin T75 restoration

And on and on and on..

Building had no heat when I arrived this morning. Always eventful working in a old mill building. If the roof isn’t leaking, the elevator broke or now on the list the gas tuned off for whatever reason it’s something.

I used the time to break out the sandblaster and begin preparation of the machine internal parts related to the trunion, motor arbor blah blah.

F79E731C-7DDB-4FB7-BD6D-252D8DDA299D.jpg

That was soooooooo much more easy “and quicker” than the dai grinder and neeedle scaller.

I then tried to finish taking the motor apart. I got held up with one last lock ring. I need someone to get a screw driver under it as I compress it.

FEC00C9F-2DED-4F57-B6B2-2BAB459DB17C.jpg

At about 3pm the heat clicked back on. I was very happy as I woulda had to wait till next week to get the booth for a full day again.

Sealer time. I’d be lying to say I wasn’t enjoying using this autobody paint. The prep I’m doing is excruciating but the reward is outa this works. Very suiting to me as I like high highs and I’m also pretty accepting of low lows or just plowing through suck.

840E4498-44B1-4485-A85C-D1CD0BFE621A.jpg

This stuff just laiz down and flows on. It’s just awesome. I’m still fighting particulate. I’m gonna try and wet sand and buff a piece form last week and see what I get.

7404621E-E064-4212-A489-8CB499B6DE95.jpg

7E171667-EF46-43D0-8A07-1E642134A710.jpg

This piece will have to be redone as the depression will wreck my head forever.

A90E3FC5-6B33-41BD-8007-224DF5816BDC.jpg

This is what I expect,

BFCDE5DB-9D52-4147-A719-1D9C442FA273.jpg

CF6AC113-8CB2-4ED3-AD6F-52313C33B03C.jpg

Ok dinner then some color..

Color..

I’m so happy with and proud of how perfect and consistently round this piece is. Honestly a sanding block made it easy as pie. It’s funny the things you worry about onlynto find that you don’t need to worry. It’s the things you dint worry about that always cause the problems. Like freaking particulate.

21C2D285-8278-40BF-AAAD-6CF92B80208E.jpg

BBF7B025-3379-44F9-804D-C4D4A4A2CCD1.jpg

08E94AD0-983D-43DB-B6CC-E4FD1234BF34.jpg

I’m also pretty happy with how the lines on this came out. I’m pretty certain I couldn’t snap a chalk line against them but they are a huge improvement over what was. This piece has way mor particulate in it than I can tolerate considering it right in your face all the time.

472AD410-8A7B-4A15-A868-98EF7F725A6B.jpg

224EB703-E508-4C24-96DC-6027158D3F59.jpg

This is the redo from last week with the drip. The imron paint can be coated right over itself no surface prep is needed at all. Clearly I had to sand out the drip so I sanded the whole thing to 600 again. It came out perfect free of any particulate. If only every piece I decided to redo will come out so perfect.

B2277EE4-D30D-4EE8-AF76-EC2F60221E88.jpg

E85810D7-3143-4127-9760-8DB0287026DC.jpg

These pieces are also righ in your face so I want them perfect.

F7198A9A-32B0-46C0-8C4F-A4395DEF8481.jpg

One last picture that wouldn’t fit.

So next week I have like 3-4 pieces I have to paint the backsides of and imopted to not hang them on account of the wires cutting into them.

Beyond that I continue to tear down the motor and get its housing ready for paint so I can do that next week with the few pieces I have to do the backsides of. Other than that I’ll continue to tear down the trunion, arbor and internals, sand blast and get the next round of parts to paint ready. Honestly there is not much left except for that the base is gonna be a huge chore to strip bare.

If I can and it’s important I g4t all the parts apart and painted within the next couple weeks as I absolutely have to commit my weekends to the exterior of my house no later than the beigning of next month.

Once the parts come back from the plater I’ll order bearings and start putting things back together early morning is and evenings m-f after work.

00C6B64C-8EA9-4463-B196-3FA4EEAAD097.jpg

Man o man I just love when you realize you just dint know what you don’t know till you know it.

Sandblasting is the answer for much of this kind if work imop. Obviously machined surfaces have to be carefully mitigated and still cleaned largely by hand but the bulk of the work can be done so much more easily and with a much better finished product.

No carpel tunnel or crazy dust contains god knows what. And soooooooo much faster. Below are pictures of the pieces I blasted today I’m probably 3-3.5 hrs. This would had taken me three times that with a dai grinder and wire wheel.

These parts will all still get a rust soak and then the machined surfaces cleaned up mostly with just a scotch brite.

At this rate I’ll have everything but the base prepped for paint by weeks end and ready for paint.

Got word my first round of parts from the plater will be back tomorrow. I’ll box up the second and final batch tomorrow. It’s gonna be s crazy expensive week with my door hardware also ready to be picked up. I could almost cry as financialy everything always falls atop itself. I do it to myself but it still stings...

This is the strut or shaft of the giant shock that provides back pressure for the blade tilt. I cleaned this with the dai grinder and wire wheel, I then took it to the pedestal polisher with some course compound. I should sand it through the grits then polish but you know nobody is ever gonna see it ever again as only 4-6” of it are exposed.

1D98CCD5-CDE0-42CB-8B94-DA50C18DD138.jpg

The spring and part of the trunion soaking. I felt none of these pieces should be sand blasted..

93C315A0-9BA4-4822-8E1C-45E0CD59062D.jpg

Inside the blast cabinet

18C77CCB-C649-465A-97FE-1D7BE613B158.jpg

Handwheel all broken down,

B392D824-2149-47C7-A535-67DA437F4D89.jpg

1D98CCD5-CDE0-42CB-8B94-DA50C18DD138.jpg

And another half days work..

22720BB7-F5DE-48BC-A6AA-254F1EE17498.jpg

I was able to blast right to the edge of the badge. I was very surprised how close to a line I could work with the sandblaster.

D1B88700-408C-40F7-A127-63CD55281387.jpg

That’s it gotta go to bed so I can get up at 5am again and out in another couple hours before work again,,

Patrick, I’m very impressed with the level of artistry you’re putting into this rebuild. A true labor of love. I rebuilt a Swiss Sip 1-H Toolroom jig bore in the early 90’s with the same amount of attention to detail. It was hard work at the time but I look back at it with fond memories. I wish I had taken more pictures.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

You must have at least a few..

Share them please..

I appreciate your compliments.

I think it is clear my love of quality machinery is equal to that of things made of wood.

I would assume and at least firbme it is true that anything built to a extremely high standard no corners cut no concessions made is of great interest to me.

Honestly as tiring as this is I see myself restoring at least a few more machines to this level.

I have all the equiptment now and I've learnt a thing or two that should speed up the process next time and even maybe result in a even finer finished product.

When my bank account recovers I'll be on the look out for a t21 with tenon table. Probably one sand tenon table also. I'm open to a newer martin shaper but you know I'd rather spend $10k and my time to fully restore a machine then $34k on a brand new one.

As is I will purchase a brand new or lightly used martin planer to go with my jointer at some point. I just can't see myself purchasing two more brand new martin machines. Plus you know the longer I work wood the less I want digital anything.

I'm a working class guy and I can't afford a down machine or a $2k circuit board or a machine I can no longer get electronics for.

Patrick, there are some pics in post #19 in this old thread. Pictures are scanned from the early 90’s and not the best quality, pictures weren’t as important back then..
    I did have the machine qualified post rebuild and it met the original positioning specs of 0.00008" (0.002 mm). I traded it to a local machine shop for a turret mill and a lathe. I still have and use both.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-today!!/page2
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Bruce, nice looking job that you did there! That's a serious amount of zero's

Blog Entries
    Very nice! That’s really precise
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Nickle,

First of two batches or orders. Most of the second went out today. That was before I was able to look at this work. Most of the work I’m happy with. Some u]of it I’m very unhappy with.

Sadly I had the plating done by a my uncles plater he uses for the restoration or plating for the restoration of his early teens piece arrow cars.

I can’t complain as my uncle thinks I’m a relentless and in most case unrealistic and unessisary perfectionist. He might be right as I’m pretty dismayed by some of this work.

Mostly the kipp levers. I guess I left a bit of paint here and there and as it seems nickle plate does not stick to paint. I would think a plater would well know this and either remove the paint or request I remove the paint “fully” prior to plating.

Anyway. I think I’ll just strip them and send them back acting like I had more rather than complain. Kinda stinks as what you seemcost me $800..

All and all I’m happy enough I guess. It’s is a saw, it will get beat to crap but you know I would like to at least look at it once and say it’s freaking perfect and feel very very good about my talents.

Oh well,

FF774D59-D4F6-4122-87B2-902BBA7CC777.jpg

814B2A12-0F0F-457B-AA31-07337E2BDB06.jpg

344A622F-C560-488B-BED7-75847A84CD29.jpg

4D60EC97-8492-4685-BF83-A37C559B4C70.jpg

And so people don’t just think I’m totally spoiled.

I’m selling this tomorrow morning, and hopefully spiral cutter in the the classifieds to pay for the plating.

5F29659D-5949-43FF-8713-598FF9FE109E.jpg

Hey Patrick,

Sorry to hear about disappointment with the plating. Your expectations are too high for most and you will be disappointed having others do work for you, more often than not.
    Most businesses wouldn't survive doing the quality that you want, unless they are in a highly specialized market.
    Its a tough row to hoe.

Your doing a great job and i am sure inspiring a few to follow.

wow, the amount of time and labor (and $$) you are putting into this.
    I hope you own and use this saw for decades to come.

Patrick, I have a client who makes fuel valves and custom parts of Harley cycles and finding a good plater is something he always complains about. Unless you use white gloves, the kip levers will show prints and hide the defects. My motorcycle guy doesn't buy that rationalization either. Dave

Mark,

I understand all the above hence why I just do everything myself for the most part.

Casevin point my home, I can't stand general home renovations, I just have no interest in "good enough" when rough framing or "ah caulking will fix it" when running paint grade trim.

As a result if it does not require a license I do it myself even though I lament and loath every moment of it.

I half considered figuring out playing myself. Honestly it's not that bad. I dint know my shop mate whom is quite attentive to detail and always shoots for quality work and normsly achieves it as he has been a cab maker for 15 years but will say good enough is good enough after three four attempts at perfection said the stuff looked like "poop and that it was not good enough".

As I said I'll strip them back and sneak them in to the next order. It's not worth arguing about.

And FYI the plater is 80 something years old and long since retired. He does this to keep buoys and fir a extra few bucks. He is not trying to run a profitable business.

No the less you are 100% right if I dint dibit I will always be disappointed, and even then I often wish it had come out better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    Hey Patrick,

Sorry to hear about disappointment with the plating. Your expectations are too high for most and you will be disappointed having others do work for you, more often than not.
    Most businesses wouldn't survive doing the quality that you want, unless they are in a highly specialized market.
    Its a tough row to hoe.

Your doing a great job and i am sure inspiring a few to follow.

Oh I will and I will,

You know I work a lot and this is going in my home shop. It will see use but very light. I see that as good as it should remain in great shape for me to fully enjoy when I retire.

Or you know I don't think I'll work for the guy I work with forever because I don't see him staying in the business more than another ten years.

And I'm not going back to general construction and I'm not gonna be some robot putting together boxes with dowels off a cnc machine.

Point is I'll probably be self employed st some point snd building custom cabinets and or furniture or doing millwok.

I'll be pretty happy to put a 200hrs a year on the saw till I'm 67 then usevthe crap out of it..