Page 44 of 100 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Martin T75 restoration

1. You are going to sh*t a brick when you put the first blemish in that thing. That said, love this thread. Keep it up.

And I’m sure it will come long before I get to make a “some cuts Susie”.

How many get the quote.

Ok one more hint, “remeber always wear you eye and ear protection when operating machinery”..

I think I inhaled a bit to much paint today.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Hillestad View Post
    You are going to sh*t a brick when you put the first blemish in that thing. That said, love this thread. Keep it up.

Man o man that was a long day,

A wee meltdown today. Sadly I hacked it up today like a rookie. I got at least one sag on very darn peace when I was shooting my sealer coat. It’s a really fine line with this paint between to skinny and thus flashy and orange peel that does not want to lay down as the coat was to skinny to to heavy and younget sags and orange peel.

I have negated most “not all” particulate by cleaning the booth. Well kinda cleaning as it’s so dirty you just can’t get all the overspray dust out of it. Mostly a tack cloth has made a big difference. I’m still gonna spring for all the filters.

Anyway I waited for my sealer to dry and buffed all the runs out all gmwith re sanding the pieces in their entirety back to 600 grit.

I wasn’t very happy but it gave me time to prime a few doors and shutter that go to my bathroom that have been siting at work for litterly three years now.

D0F06278-8CA0-4E87-891F-6A35E45C37FF.jpg

I fully expected to have everything painted today that I had in polyester previously. I started sanding “I have not finger tires left” and they burn like hell at 8am. I didn’t finish sanding five lousy pieces till 1 pm. So yeah that’s 1 hr a piece. Being each piece gets 220,400,600 it’s no wonder but man my hands and arms are sore. By the time I went to spray my hands were cramping shut.

This piece took 1.5 hrs to sand...

792AFB5F-3A08-44A8-A2CD-B4EF71D789FC.jpg

Then another 15 min to sand the spot putty.

98B664DE-0886-40C0-A6E0-4C053DE72394.jpg

Not sur3 how long this piece took but it wasn’t 15 minutes that’s for sure.

7FED6C50-8EEE-4BD2-BE77-A634EE898DE4.jpg

I didn’t take pictures of my sags. If figure if you nobody sees it it didn’t happen. I’m a strong believe of we all make mistakes from time to time. The difference is in those whom fix their mistake “the right way” and those whom find a excuse to not fix their mistakes.

CB55616E-A569-4F5F-A3A7-64D7D29AF28C.jpg

This piece was a mess. Actually I figured I’d never use it and almost didn’t even prep it.

0668110F-3239-4BC6-AA4B-BE3CD2688A0F.jpg

263864D7-ECFE-4519-8103-45DA01767CE6.jpg

The arm that supports the cross cut table. This piece actually did not sag on me when shooting the sealer. It’s funny their are pieces I’m more concerned with coming out perfect than others and this is one of them. I’m pretty happy with it thus far. I’ll be interested to see all it’s sides in the morning.

EEEA49BF-B843-49E9-9037-19367782B465.jpg

The door on the back side of the machine..

1F5C0CA8-2B93-4A2A-A819-5D11D2BA4DC7.jpg

D7673CAE-FB1E-41E6-987E-5933C07748AE.jpg

This piece was also very important to me. All the radius in this piece had flat spots gallore. I spent a great deal of time sanding this to perfection.

024BE489-44A9-49D0-9B48-F2EAE118847A.jpg

B8D0B2DD-3393-4DFE-9EC2-B21784E7878A.jpg

6694D9E1-AB59-4661-B3B6-0B24777647C3.jpg

Look at that reflection. And when it dries it gets even more shinny if you can believe it.

2465FBCD-9272-4F86-9C3F-682126D9933D.jpg

More reflection

7F7822F5-9378-48C0-8326-2E3C655472D2.jpg

So glad all that crap is no in my lungs. The mask works pretty darn great. Not one green luggy or booger.

All in all I sanded everything, five hours work, setup to paint shot the sealer got sags, I the. Waited a couple hours and painted those doors. I then sanded everything again, blew it all down, sludge washed it, tacked it and sealed it again. By this time it was 6pm. By the time I got home it was 9pm.

C37229AF-BAF8-4830-B2DF-BAAD8B34F6CD.jpg

This whole thing is a poop ton of work but honestly I’m having great fun. Most of the work is actual drudgery and exactlynthe work I have grown to hate over the years. Having the freedom to do my best job possible is making it really really satisfying. After all the prep work to see a piece come out next to perfect after painting is so satisfying.

Started my day emptying the booth. I have to walk about 500 yards though Bit of a maze to get to a safe place to store these pieces. The good news is I was told today that I could crank the heat in this vacant office space.

I then got a bug to try and get the top off the machine. I knew for Marks thread that the trunnions, motor and internals are all hung off the cast iron tables.

Without the darn spanner wrench to take off the arbor I also the dovetail ways for blade rise and fall or the gearing for tilt. I did think I may just be able to lift the whole thing up, out and off with the fork lift. Sadly o ran out of time kinda as soon as I got started. I quickly realized my plan was not well thought out at all.

With the table off the base and I t4rna;s still bolted to it I’d have no way to put it all down. Maybe a saw horse on each side but that’s kinda scary. I also figured this would be the way around how to get the giant death spring in sprung without killing myself.

After just a slight lift and feeling rushed I threw in the hat for the day.

Don’t worry mark, Peter and anyone else whom owns this saw I removed those plots toward the front of the trunion before i attempted to lift. Honestly I was a bit nervous to cut them loose not knowing if the internals might slide one way or the other.

Oh I forgot the first first thing I did was remove the hand wheel. It came off 123 and kinda set the ball in motion for me to get fired up and think “OK LETS GET THIS THING THE REST OF THE WAY APART ALREADY’’, silly me I knew better but like a meat head couldn’t overcome the temptation to rush.

2F077F4B-31D8-4472-BFB7-E973D3ECDB15.jpg

E7B150AB-FAE2-468A-80CC-43E062D76C1C.jpg

0CC17EB8-DA1F-43EF-B74B-86CC349DFA99.jpg

1661EEC9-ECB6-432E-B9C2-17DEC741D5A6.jpg

I now understand your crazy.
    You actually like explaining your failures, because you get to feel shame. That shame fuels you to do better the next time. I get it. I also get the meltdown when things don't go well. I fight that demon daily.

Btw, thank you for not choosing the candy apple green. I'd hate to burn miles flying to Boston just to throat punch someone then redeye it home.

And then just a few pictures of the newly painted pieces in their drying spot. The color changes drastically in this space.

You can see a bit of particulate on the left top front corner. I have yet to decide how to proceed. I could let thenoarts fully cure and wet sand and then polish a piece and see how things go. If that does not work then I think I’ll be ponying up for all new filters, buffing every dam piece out to 800 grit and re spraying everything. I loath the idea as it’s so much work and like $200 in paint.

5699B98B-6527-4488-A6F8-367AE518BDCA.jpg

79759A59-35CA-48F2-A742-54860F2C81B0.jpg

These next couple pictures show how well this paint will lay down if you get everything just right. I have a feeling someone that did this everyday would get this perfect result everytime?

79759A59-35CA-48F2-A742-54860F2C81B0.jpg

76017EBF-BC0E-47AC-BDD4-6E9AB738523F.jpg

2A721BB5-F5F4-4512-86F6-803DCF21DBB4.jpg

The door came out pretty good but there is probably like 6-8 very very small pieces of particulate in it so you know I guess it did not come out very good actually. I noticed on this piece the paint leveled out overnight really really well.

78D1A706-0806-4F4C-8529-7A8799F4950F.jpg

Now this piece is pretty much particulate free but you know I’m not spy with how the paint laid down, or rather did not lay down. I went ambitmto skinny out of f4sr of runs. I have a feeling I could wet sand and polish that orange peel out. But you know I really don’t know as I’m not a autobody painter.

FBACA059-FD4C-4DE5-A28A-F501E1C315F5.jpg

885DB85D-8A22-487D-A230-D88413B04975.jpg

And the plywood support bar..

43893817-4C09-4A94-A59B-5CDBE6DB0757.jpg

More jsut cuz they don’t load..

This is for mark, Peter or whomever. The bellow pictures are the insides of the motor. I got one bearing off but I suspect their is a bearing down close to the fan. I can’t quite figure how to remove the fan and without the fan removed I can’t ge to the bearing.

In all honesty I have not tired very hard. I kinda got the last part in pieces and quickly looked at this and put it to the side decidingmto just ask.

EF9F2367-243E-44B9-B626-4D7280BD1FEE.jpg

FBFB804F-823C-48CB-B43B-0626C1C36DE4.jpg

And that’s a day, plus I worked 8 hrs..

I gotta get a set of spanner wrenches so I can get the rest of this ,aching apart and soaking in laquer thinner.

You know I just don’t like to lie ever about anything. I can’t pass off some fast talking show boating facade of all the work I do, every bit of it is perfectly perfect without at least fessing up to screw ups when they happen and how I choose to fix or not fix them. I could so easily share only good pictures from good angles but you know what kinda schmuck would I be to if I did that. Then I’d actually feel bad about my work as obviously I had something to feel bad about if I was motivated paint a false picture. I’d rather be honest and yes I guess that might motivate me to fix.

As for the meltdown anger deamon yeah I have actually a stupid good handle on it at this point in my life but yeah I’m not gonna pretend that inside my blood doesn’t still boil even if just for a minute when things don’t go right.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    I now understand your crazy.
    You actually like explaining your failures, because you get to feel shame. That shame fuels you to do better the next time. I probably deserve the r]throat punch anyway

I also get the meltdown when things don't go well. I fight that demon daily.

Btw, thank you for not choosing the candy apple green. I'd hate to burn miles flying to Boston just to throat punch someone then redeye it home.

I have seen some sprayers (person doing the spraying) with a filter that clips onto their belt, and a whip hose from there to the gun in their hand. Maybe a secondary filter would catch what gets through the filters that are there now, without having to replace the high dollar ones for everyone else to use.

Tom,

I have a filter on the end of my gun at the hose. I suspect the particulate is the result of a piss poor dirty poop hole of a spray booth along with intakemand outake filters that are so clogged there is probably very limited air movement.

Sadly I think I’ll pony up fo the filters. I will also go so far as to even clean the whole booth out. I may go as far as spraying the walls ceiling and floor with some kind of antistatic coating.

Beyond that the lighting is pathetic! Like so much so much of my work is done pretty much blind as t least half my piece is I a shadow making it impossible to see what I’m doing.

In some ways I’m getting a pretty good result l considered. If I could buff out the particulatemwith ease it would oprobably be the least painful way to go.

The other way is a full day labor and about $1k minimum. Then I have to worry that that perfectly clean booth is still clean 2345 days later when I need it again.

Fat chance honestly.

All this makes me almost wish to run. My own business with my own shop. I said almost as you know I know how much it sucks tomruna cabinet shop or any construction based business. But you know I love what I do enough I would never let my booth torn into that piece of crap. Or another example is our dust collection in the shop for our machinery being so piss poor. I guarante it’s destroying out machinery and I can tell you it’s 100% it’s taking years off my life.

For a guy running a business motivated by profits vrs love and enjoyment of time spent at work I can see why one would let this crap go. Well not really as fussing with crapmmachines cost more money than to just take care of them.’

Now I’m offf on a whole bother tangent. I’m gonna stop as I’ll complain complain complain if I let myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I have seen some sprayers (person doing the spraying) with a filter that clips onto their belt, and a whip hose from there to the gun in their hand. Maybe a secondary filter would catch what gets through the filters that are there now, without having to replace the high dollar ones for everyone else to use.
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 03-18-2019 at 7:20 PM.

Run bolts in the threaded holes and it should push itself off the shaft, kind of like a pulley bushing.

Hi Patrick, i am pretty sure that the fan is just pressed on. Which means that you can; pull it off with a two wing puller through the holes; if the threaded holes go right through, you can screw two bolts through and push it off like Darcy said; Or you can probably just press the rotor shaft out of the fan and the endcap at the same time.
    04-SAM_5437.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    More jsut cuz they don’t load..

This is for mark, Peter or whomever. The bellow pictures are the insides of the motor. I got one bearing off but I suspect their is a bearing down close to the fan. I can’t quite figure how to remove the fan and without the fan removed I can’t ge to the bearing.

In all honesty I have not tired very hard. I kinda got the last part in pieces and quickly looked at this and put it to the side decidingmto just ask.

FBFB804F-823C-48CB-B43B-0626C1C36DE4.jpg

And that’s a day, plus I worked 8 hrs..

I gotta get a set of spanner wrenches so I can get the rest of this ,aching apart and soaking in laquer thinner.

Patrick the spring is quite easy to deal with; If you have the right stuff. If you look at the tube that the spring is in you will see an angled slot on each side of the tube at the bottom; When you compress the spring you need to slide in a plate as in the photo the plate locks the spring, and holds it, so you can handle it without any problem. You can put the shim in while the spring is in the saw, and when you want to put it back you can compress the spring on a press and put the shim in.once you put the spring/tube back into the saw, and put a bit of compression on the spring, by tilting the blade, you can then easily remove the plate. The plates that i have are shim plates in various thicknesses, i believe that i used a 0.050" shim.

4-SAM_5489.JPG5-SAM_5490.JPG6-SAM_5491.JPG1-SAM_5939.JPG

Mark, you made that look easy! I really struggled with that one on the T23. Filing this away for future use.
    Going back in we jury rigged a fixture and pressed it down with the fork lift. It was scary and for a while thought we were going to loose the farm or injure someone.