Page 59 of 100 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Martin T75 restoration

I have not found political demarcation lines to be as much defined by city limits, as by intelligence. I doubt our political views differ much.[/QUOTE]

Not an intelligent statement. Dave

Have I noticed from other threads that your into sail boats?

And I risk a lot saying the things I say. I know they could be taken out of context or the wrong way but I leave that for the individual to sort through. Even in person I just say what I think “within reason” gotta be polite and considerate of others. But for the most part I live by the ethic, I am who I am I beat around not bush, put on no show, you either like me or you don’t. I’m genearlly ok with either lol..

I also like the water. The ocean in my case. I get torn, I would love to work on Uber custom boats and have a one of my own to baby. I can see a sailboat really helping me relax if I lived on say the ocean and had a simple life. I know there is nothing simple or relaxing about owning a boat. I would love to sail to Patagonia and back though. I’d do it even if I was part of the crew caring for someone. Well when my dog dies, I’m not leaving his side before then. But after man I’d just love that..

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Even though we're in the same state, Asheville is about 5 hours driving West of here. It's nice there, but our blood is still mostly water, so we choose to visit the mountains, and live on the water. I have not found political demarcation lines to be as much defined by city limits, as by intelligence. I doubt our political views differ much.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 04-21-2019 at 8:16 PM.

Oh boy,

I just got back to this after dinner.

What have I started..

Let’s all just move on.

Well unless you insist on not moving on “I’d understand either way”

But man o man lol, gotta love the Internet.

Remeber before the Internet holly smokes how things have changed,

Another Monday and another 4-5 hrs of work on the Mighty Martin.

I have a few Chris Vesper tools, he has a Instagram page. He purchased a 80’s Martin this past year. He has a video clip of him using the machine shorty after he got it. In his Australian accent he refers to it as the “Mighty Mahtin”, must play his voice saying the above over in my head a couple handful of times a month.

Anyway I sanded out all the polyester or spray on filler to 220 locating the last of the low spots. I then hit the low spots with knife on body filler. Six am tomrrow I have a date to sqndmoutnthe last of the body filler. I’m on the fence as to if I’ll shoot one more coat of polyester. My gut tells me yes as if everything under it is 90% peferfect the polyester will make it 100%mperfect before even sanding it. After sanding it’s like 110% perfect.

7085B16D-6F6A-453F-A3CD-F36AD66A8C07.jpg

Look at the radius corners. I’ll post a picture of how I found them. I’m more than pleased with myself at this point.

1D78CE70-B943-4BED-BA70-85A3A54A9AAE.jpg

EFF62D7D-2278-4420-9435-78688B60EE0F.jpg

Any inconsistency in the radius should be 200% taken care of sanding to 800 grit in prep for sealer and paint. If I opt for one more coat of polyester they will be outmofmthis world perfect. I should probably slow down and just do one more coat. At this point what “one more coat”...

99FB6BDA-3BCD-4CC3-B8B5-15FB9DDE9A6E.jpg

63A5BEFB-ABBB-4032-BAEF-81363FF01EC3.jpg

Ok time for dinner then I’ll find that photo//

Pre prep radius...

I know I know these primer pictures seem like nothing and are very well not exciting to most I would think.

But to me these primer pictures are very exciting as they tell me my paint is gonna be outa this world.

DEE4DE34-A516-46B0-9E4B-DD14A5CAB736.jpg

B7A519BC-A46A-4F8F-9972-DDC11E6492A8.jpg

E7656846-95AB-4210-8A50-9BE7CA7B3F42.jpg

I also got my second batch of plated parts back today. I didn’t get pictures yet but it’s looks pretty good. Not like perfection but I’m the only one that will ever know. Next time I learn andvset myself up to plate if at all possible as I’ll never be happy with someoen else’s work.

The amount of work I turned this into is mind numbing.

Like anything the more perfect something to gets the more the imperfections stand out. That’s why I’m so hung up on perfect, the closer we get to perfect the more out mistakes become obveous..

I have so much sanding then spot filing, more sanding spot filling repeat. It’s actually what I have been doing all week thus far. A morning session and then another evening.

I fully expected this additional polyester coat would be the end of spot patches. I had a couple areas on the back of the saw not quite perfect I figured the pony may or may not fill. Well it didn’t so it looks like a few more spot patches are in order.

Pre polyester, I also spot primed all bare metal first.

AEA3303A-9681-40A9-96AB-AA4EF1C80317.jpg

This might be m favorite picture thus far of the whole project. There are just so many things about this machine I love. It has such a wonderful retro presence. The whole machine has a very nautical feel to me. I just love it.....

599CB659-9CA0-450E-8E13-E6A646AF435C.jpg

Moi around the saw right to left..

A8CC3896-6EAF-44D7-A7D4-47CD77CB6A2A.jpg

Somebody was a crappy carpenter. Look at that hackish inside miter.

D5F26F1C-4D0B-4F30-AD2A-6A2FBDFA7E3F.jpg

I’m not so sure how I feel about the line down center going from sharp to radiused. I is what is though as that’s the way it came from the factory. Sure my straight line Is straighter and sharper and radiused smoother but generally that’s the way it was.

FC3C909D-FD4A-48AE-AE1E-2E21E6065EE9.jpg

Any inconsistency in the radius should be easily rectified with this addditional coat of poly. At this point I have to sand 220,320,400,600,800. I’m pretty sure that will even things out.

And after polyester..

A4D3BE65-72FE-4DBC-87A2-A9B44F1DDA39.jpg

Butter smooth but still not perfect. Getting closer though..

3DD16295-8E95-4874-B7B1-96C70ACE6EFB.jpg

C05383E0-8EB2-42F1-8E0E-9078B466E04C.jpg

The base detail has been quite a bit of work. I saved much of this work till last. Generally it’s coming out beyond my expectations. Sadly I’m pretty much positive I’m gonna put a giant chip or three in this area moving the saw to my house.

Reached my picture max above so here’s the rest.

A8276A23-448E-4503-8AC9-6CFBB563B6C3.jpg

2B785C89-C32C-4DF6-86EF-C08C80E959E9.jpg

That butchered inside corner again, gotta fix that first thing in the morning.

F3D424E2-D933-46F8-8A7D-2F3ED83CCCB1.jpg

And one more problem area. Not bad considering. I really wish I had nothing left to tend to but you know I’m getting close to green.

8D215892-191B-49E5-BA5D-92CA3BE3A216.jpg

Then I got my second batch of stuff back from the plater Monday. This guys work kinda sucks if I’m being perfectly honest. But you know it’s as nice of work as I really see anyone ever do anymore so what are you gonna do.

8B667606-E2C5-4B55-91CE-AEE71D433C9D.jpg

Just a neat picture. This goes to the pressure clamp hold down.

5081926F-760D-47F5-8509-15265D32AA75.jpg

And that’s it. Hopefully this is green by weeks end. That would put me in good shape to finish up the last few unpainted internal parts relating to the trunion and arbor next week. After that I have like 5-8 piece I want to wet sand and repaint.

I’m still not out of the woods but I can smell the finish line regarding the paint. The rest will be pure fun again. I still gotta order bearings. Then I gotta go crazy figuring out nuts and bolts.

I have never seen a plating operation running, but I get the sense that it is the person who supplies the parts to remove all rust, paint, or any other stuff on the parts.
    The plater will then dip the parts in a cleaning solution, which strips oils and greases I believe. Then parts get dipped in several other solutions, each one bonding to the last, up to the actual final “plating” dip.
    I think they then pull parts out of the solution and let dry.
    Maybe slightly oversimplified, but I get the sense there is not a lot of “hands on” in the plating process.
    In any event, parts look better than new from here.

Somebody once told me “perfect is the enemy of done” .
    Pretty ironic words for anybody who has tried to create something- especially to a high level.

Peter,

So I asked and was told strip parts but they prep them.

I was also told they have A and B treatment and u pay accordingly.

After the first batch I found out the retired old man I was told does the work just brings it to someone else.

Is that someone else a kid a relative or a beer guzzling meat head I don't know..

I like your quote, fitting and true...
    Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    I have never seen a plating operation running, but I get the sense that it is the person who supplies the parts to remove all rust, paint, or any other stuff on the parts.
    The plater will then dip the parts in a cleaning solution, which strips oils and greases I believe. Then parts get dipped in several other solutions, each one bonding to the last, up to the actual final “plating” dip.
    I think they then pull parts out of the solution and let dry.
    Maybe slightly oversimplified, but I get the sense there is not a lot of “hands on” in the plating process.
    In any event, parts look better than new from here.

Somebody once told me “perfect is the enemy of done” .
    Pretty ironic words for anybody who has tried to create something- especially to a high level.

Patrick, i have enjoyed watching your progress throughout this project. However, as you near completion i find myself wondering what i and everyone else on the creek are going to do with all the spare time we will have. No doubt, the withdrawal will be painful . . .

Great work sir. Best, Patrick

Blog Entries
    That prepped base looks fantastic. Plating looks pretty solid to me, I think it will be pretty neat when complete.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Im not done yet, hence your not rid of me.

I have a whole nether week of paint prep as paint, maybe two depending on how many pieces I choose to redo.

Then I have a solid month of putting pieces back together prior to brining them home.

Then I have moving my old machine out and all that’s involved in moving this one in and getting it up and running.

The daily posts will stop but I’m sure I’ll have weekly updates for at least a couple more months.

I’m komda gonna miss the project but you know I gotta get back to working overtime and making some really $$ my income has been pathetic through this project.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Patrick, i have enjoyed watching your progress throughout this project. However, as you near completion i find myself wondering what i and everyone else on the creek are going to do with all the spare time we will have. No doubt, the withdrawal will be painful . . .

Great work sir. Best, Patrick

Thanks Brian,

Put another four hours into it today and it’s still only sanded to 220. Wait till it’s sanded to 600-800 and ready for paint. I hope that’s tomorrrow.

FYI your Maka is looking slick.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    That prepped base looks fantastic. Plating looks pretty solid to me, I think it will be pretty neat when complete.

Going nuts onnthe finishing touches. Another four hours of anal retentive behavior today. Mostly spend on the base detail. Oh I did sand the whole thing to 220.

I’m also fixing that nasty inside corner. I’ll share pictures when I’m done, right now it still looks like a mess.

Tomorrow hope to be done with this madness and wearing green paint.

Front, close to perfect but still not perfect. I think it will probably be good enough.

AC9DFEF0-772D-4D9B-8F37-71601ACBAC13.jpg

Down the right side..

011FC87B-5A0B-4ED7-AC00-B9CC77C4338A.jpg

Operator side, may need a bit more work yet?

0A882A86-ACD6-4736-BF8A-E1F2DE94FF5A.jpg

Spring is here and the rest of my life is saying it’s time to pay attention to me again. The alone time I have gotten doing this project has been precious and priceless to me. I’m really gonna miss it

Blog Entries
    I think you should consider moving it in pieces, so much easier than a whole machine when you’re going into the basement. Once you have it back together you won’t want to break it down, so having it already in pieces is a luxury in that sense.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.