Page 88 of 100 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 1500

Thread: Vintage Martin T75 restoration

I also got to thinking about hooking the machine up to dust collection. I had bits and pieces around the shop and largely I can make it work with them spending minimal money on this. Maybe another $2-300 see it just never stops with these dam machines once you start.

I’m gonna run the pipe on the floor just as you see it then up the wall in front of the dust collector. Should work. Lots of turns due to the placement of the port on Martins part. Kinda stupid but you know I love the look of the machine form the side with all the triangles.

36809DB0-00A6-47F4-A254-F2AA4A450720.jpg

3955E7B8-DEE4-410D-AEC0-6075BB91CCAE.jpg

Ok Dave I figure it out.

The spike is a raised scratch in the carriage of table across its width.

The fluctuating .003-.004 is more like the majority of the table that is the fluctuation. By the time you get all the way to leading and trailing edges it’s more like a deviation of .006-.008 as a result of the the leading and trailing edges being set pretty much flush with the cast table.

I can take pictures but it’s clear something like what I’m finding has been wrong with the machine for a long time as the only wear on the tables is at the leading and trailing edges where it meets the carriage. So you know at least I know it’s not me being a dope or anal retentive and loosing my mind.

It's pretty normal for the ends of an AL extrusion to either raise or droop on the ends. I don't know if yours is closer but I'm assuming the cast table is flat , other than the dip at the blade. Am I also reading that the low ends maintain the .000 to the cast all along the travel so it is really the slider that is not flat? Dave

Regarding the carriage not being parallel with cast top- see pic to adjust.
    IMG_2352.jpg
    If I understand, the carriage outside edge is low of cast table? The above will fix it.
    If carriage is in general lower than the top, shim according to this piC.
    IMG_2351.jpg
    Or, adjust that single center bolt up on the bottom if there is room to do so.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by peter gagliardi; 12-11-2019 at 8:58 AM.

Regarding dust collection, believe it or not, that is a much better setup for dust than what was on my much newer T73, and now my T75 Pre-ex. Both of those are miserable for dust catching. Martin decided to change the dust flow pattern to 90 degrees from the blade, directly after the blade- an idea that fails miserably.
    On your machine, the dust is already headed to the back of the machine, and the dust collection only needs to collect it, not redirect it, then catch it. <<< Now THAT is a poor idea!!

Peter that’s exactly what I ended up doing.

What surprised me was one end needing a shim and then the other not. Shimming just one side rolled the whole thing enough to correct both sides. I originally put the same size shim under both sides but on the outfeed side of the saw it overcorrected the problem. I slowly backed out shims working backward through my fan deck till the outfeed side just had no shim again. Weird and I’d say that indicates twist but you know I really have no idea.

All I know is my cast table is no longer shimmed. I may shim one corner once I can get the arbor working if it does not affect that. Otherwise it’s good enough and I’ll leave it.

Leading edge. .016 shim

FD548598-FD20-4535-8698-00B89FD70476.jpg

Trailing edge no shim..

45EC7D40-B6B5-4B36-BA50-1ADCE515EED3.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    Regarding the carriage not being parallel with cast top- see pic to adjust.
    IMG_2352.jpg
    If I understand, the carriage outside edge is low of cast table? The above will fix it.
    If carriage is in general lower than the top, shim according to this piC.
    IMG_2351.jpg
    Or, adjust that single center bolt up on the bottom if there is room to do so.

Dave,

Cast table does not have dip at 5he blade it has a belly dead center of the table.

I suspect the leading and trailing edges of the table at the blade were also high as they show wear and no place else on the tables show wear As a result of that wear that edge is perfectly flat. You can tell by the lack of pitting..

Leading edge at blade.

016DC6B0-EE0C-4DBC-9BE3-3B17747CEC51.jpg

Trailing edge at blade..

66B45A15-4222-4BFA-997A-A10654D742CA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    It's pretty normal for the ends of an AL extrusion to either raise or droop on the ends. I don't know if yours is closer but I'm assuming the cast table is flat , other than the dip at the blade. Am I also reading that the low ends maintain the .000 to the cast all along the travel so it is really the slider that is not flat? Dave

Do the shims affect the subtable when moving forward and back to change the relationship of the sliding table to the front of the machine? Dave

I should follow and i kinda do but not really.

Could you try again,

Do the shims affect the subtable when moving forward and back to change the relationship of the sliding table to the front of the machine? Dave

I'm not very familiar with the machine so I may be assuming stuff in error. I thought you were shimming the undercarriage for the sliding table which also moves forward and back. I was wondering if the shims caused any problems when you shifted the sub carriage. Dave

Ahh I get it.

No I have not tied to slide the sub carriage. That’s a great idea though and would tel me a lot.

My simple little mind had decided that after all the futzing no way I was ever gonna change anything. But now you have me wondering..

I'm not very familiar with the machine so I may be assuming stuff in error. I thought you were shimming the undercarriage for the sliding table which also moves forward and back. I was wondering if the shims caused any problems when you shifted the sub carriage. Dave

The claim to fame on the T75 was the ability to move the entire sliding assembly flush with the front of the saw to allow for traditional saw cuts. how that travel affects the readings will be interesting. Dave

Yeah I know..

All I can say is the saw is 46 years old so there’s that.

Honestly I don’t mind ripping on a slider even one little bit. Reaching around or walking around either way I’m not bothered by it the slightest.

Who knows more experienced hands and eyes may very well be able to figure out how to set the saw up perfect wit non of these issue allowing to slide the sub carriage back and forth with no consequence.

Who knows maybe in time I’ll be able to figure it out myself. But yes the carriage does slide back and forth easy peasy..

The claim to fame on the T75 was the ability to move the entire sliding assembly flush with the front of the saw to allow for traditional saw cuts. how that travel affects the readings will be interesting. Dave

It’s not much but it’s forward progress. I’m trying hard to find something I can do everyday regardless how how big or small so that when I get the various pieces back from various people I can out to together and really call it done. I wan to be able to say I left no stone unturned and nothing unresolved.

I had to replace this bolt.

I’m trying hard to keep the next bill from the plater down so I opted to polish a stainless bolt. I only had 60,120,180,220,400and 2000 paper. All done by hand. My carpal tunnel hates me for doing stuff like this.

81BE1027-10CA-4C5E-9A7D-7EB68C9474A4.jpg

Phase perfect.

Does anyone know if you have to double the horsepower as with rotary phase converters like American Rotary?