Page 10 of 100 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Martin T75 restoration

Yeah I know..

well in my case 21x13 will be dedicated to the t75 with the room needed for longer cuts to the left blade possible just maybe not always just sitting there ready. To date I have a sawstop with a 4x8 outfeed table that in many ways takes up the same space. Sure it’s 8x8 but it’s still hogs up the same 21x13’ space for the most part.

Joe,

You do some very nice work.

No room for single end tenoner in my shop. Gonna be getting creative to do what I’m doing and or selling the house that is 20 minutes outside Boston in a annoying suburb and moving to the country and building my dream house/shop combo.

The commute will stink to instal and or if I ever need to a take a job back closer to the city but you know were I am is just plane annoyingnin it’s own ways so. Everything is a compromise right?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Nomthe $7900 has a tennon table.

Still seems like a ton of $$ considering.

I get all in a frenzy thinking when will the next one in decent shape come along. On the other hand I get emails daily from euro websites and I see t23’s Bourels “I know that’s not how you spell it, kolle and a few others such as the one in the above picture listed all the time for what I think is short money.

Sure by the time I get it there praying everything is as should be, hook it up to a inverter “I know nothing about” it seems like $7900 is kinda spot on even though I think it should be more like $5K

I don't double tenon. Reproduction sashes are not doubled, at least none I have ever seen in the midwest.

I can set the fence at any angle I want, or I have blocks I made for off angles.

I have finger joint head for my shaper and it also fits the cope spindles on my brontosaurus.

Handy little things, those brontosaurus's

Joe, you have a good point there about changes in quantities made at one time. But in Virginia and other East coast states
    there are still big public and private restorations, additions, and people that just keep buying stuff that seems to most people completely unneeded.

Mel, I agree about the large restorations. I am familiar with several east coast shops. My argument though is the sliding table shaper or modern tenoner is a lot more versatile and quick to change than the old push pull tenoners. High end restoration can vary a lot for door and window profiles. One shop in Connecticut has to offer several thickness and profiles for doors and windows spanning from the 1600s up to the early 1900s. This makes for a lot of change over of tooling.

The downside of the high tech machines is not every shop has staff that can adopt to the newer technology. A lot of large companies put in CNC thinking it will solve skilled labor shortages and that usually does not work.

This should give a few the opportunity for a good laugh or head shake.

The first three pictures bellow show my current table saw setup. This is essentially where the new t75 will go. Clearly I have a couple obstructions to tend to. First that pine ship lap wall is non structural and will have to go. Then the grey lally column seen I think in the second picture front and center will also have to go.

The plan is a structural steel I beam to replace it. Chances are it’s going to go right under the solid wood beam that’s there now. This beam pretty much holds my house up. It is actually the intersection of another wood beam that runs down the center of my house following the ridge line of my roof and forming a T with the wood beam I will be replacing with structural steel. The structural steel will be held up my two very massive footings at either end I’ll have to break through the floor to pour. No big deal really lol. Truely it really is not a big deal, a bit of a pain in the bum but really very straight forward. FYI I have a background building and renovating custom homes. A engineer will be hired to spec everything out for me and some hired muscle to help me get the beam into place.

Overall view of saw area panning to right
    53F37F27-1DF5-46CB-9471-6FD57DE08575.jpg

View panning to left
    FDBD5BAD-B261-4D22-85E9-5428FFCB2A0A.jpg

Picture looking at lally column and wooden beam that will become structural steel I-beam.
    41CF7A88-0BA5-4DFA-A522-CDB809E42032.jpg

Doing the work above will give me a dedicated 22x16’ footprint for the slider and dust collector, lumber on walls and clamps I hope.

Next up is a picture of the door opening into my shop. Clearly I have a issue there also. I will be cutting the foundation open for a double door entry. These are two of the passage doors I’ll be building over the winter. I’m pretty sure this is also going to require the sill plate spanning the door opening to be replaced with structural steel. No big deal either as I’m also in the process of re shingling and trimming out the exterior of my house.

BD18D664-B817-46F7-A08E-4FA91B2B371D.jpg

And then the spot for the t23 shaper if I can muster up another $7-10k before someone else buys it. If not a brand new t12 will end up there probably next fall. I’ll have to get rid of that pile of lumber. Mostly that pile is a bunch of 8/4 cvgdf and cvgayc to make about ten passage doors for a master bedroom addition I started a few years ago and have yet to finish. The rest is BEM and I don’t know where it’s going?

The shaper will have plenty of in feed and outfeed as all I’ll have to do is open the back door lol. I also have a Felder f700z hiding around another corner with limited outfeed.

40B66D41-3178-43E6-AAA6-1C93CCF45147.jpg

Im a pretty busy guy right. Kinda funny really..
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 11-18-2018 at 10:24 AM.

smaller one non tilting, tenning jig, spindle brace

222.JPG

Pretty cool but that’s just the same tennon jig as I use on our t110 at work. It’s fine but you know “not what I want lol”

What is that machine thought, it’s so cute I want one just based on the cute factor. Looks like something A pack of elves would use in Santa’s workshop.

Reminds me of something this guy would use...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j1M4bBqms7U

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    smaller one non tilting, tenning jig, spindle brace

222.JPG

That is another Bauerle-SFM 0, or 01.
    With that amount of work needing done to house a shop, I personally would be seriously looking selling it and finding another place with a ground level barn, or the room to build one.
    Basements are ok if its all you have, as a make do, but it doesn’t compare to real dedicated ground level space.

Says the guy who lives 32 miles from his shop........

Those pot belly Bauerle shapers are sweet. At Fenster Bau one company has one set up with a sanding drum. Very smooth running!

this Bauerle would be nice to find. Pretty rare in the US though. Most of the Euro makers offered a saw on the shapers with side mount tables in the 70s and 80s. Martin had one with the Festo LAS fence.
    E447A52C-12A8-4B7D-9C7D-A64DF3FF5369.jpg

Anything Bauerle is hard to find.

I could not agree more peter regarding a ground floor shop.

Being your from Mass I can tell you I live in Natick and work is in Stow Ma near Hudson. That’s a 30mminute commute. Our shop is the fourth fooor of a old mill building. We have a temperamental freight elevator and about 2500 sq ft of shop space. It’s really just enough room for two guys to work compfortible. Fourth floor is less than ideal but we make it work for cheap rent.

Point being I clearly get what I’m doing I not ideal. Again it is just for hobby for the most part. I’ll build one off pieces of furniture from time to time along with the odd side job and or work from home when I needed.

I could move but moving is work in of itself. I don’t much like where I live as it’s congestion hell the people are not my type and everything is just to much. On the other hand I’ve never been without work in the trades in 25 years. I almost feel obligated to stay right where I am for no other reason than making a living. I don’t want the 1-1.5 hr commute most that live work and work east deal with. I much prefer that to be my overtime. I also know once I go west I’ll never ever be able to afford to go back east. I’m just turning 41 this year so I have many years left to work to consider.

I also have a garden full of mature specimen trees I built over the years, almost my own mini arboretum. I could have purchased a t75 brand new and probably t27 building it, I’m pretty attached to it, It’s my second hobby. I could pay arborist to dig all the trees and move them but again that’s big $$$ and really not realistic.

Idealy I’d live very far in western mass, northern Vermont or mid coast Maine. To be honest I’d love nothing more than the Canadian Rockies. I just dont see being able to make a living as a cabinet maker or a respectabl living as any form of tradesman any of those places. To be perfectly honest I’ll do what I have to do but I havee no interest in ever swinging a hammer for a living again and I’d probably have to do so to live anywhere else with the skills I have to offer the job market.

Bellow is a attached image of my dream. If I had the courage or stupidity it’s exactly what i would do. Buy a parcel of land and build a brand new dwelling. With my background I could do it very inexpensive if I kept things modern, simple and minimal simular to the pictures below. The dream would be to do so in the middle of say 25-50 acres, built into a sloap or grade so one end is kinda suspended in mid air. The basement would be poured with like 15’ ceilings and the footprint of the home like 2000sq ft with an additional 1000 sq ft basement giving me 3k sq ft unobstructed shop space largely completely under ground. One side or “ the open side” would be just a a giant wall of glass doors that can completely open.

To be honest I think I could build this type home for fairly short money someplace like the above. I could easily trade my now home for one. The problem then becomes how to make a living hence my silly basement shop. I just don’t think I’m that kind of risk taker. The idea of swinging a hammer freezing my butt off surounded by a bunch of meat heads, humping this and bumping that, bad back, sore feet cold hands. One day doing fine finish work the next doing demo work framing wal,, roofing or installing windows has zero appeal to me. I just assume starve at this point.

https://hiconsumption.com/2017/02/ho...ntainer-homes/

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    That is another Bauerle-SFM 0, or 01.
    With that amount of work needing done to house a shop, I personally would be seriously looking selling it and finding another place with a ground level barn, or the room to build one.
    Basements are ok if its all you have, as a make do, but it doesn’t compare to real dedicated ground level space.

Says the guy who lives 32 miles from his shop........
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 11-18-2018 at 12:28 PM.

Here is the ultimate feeder - saw setup on a Martin. Turns the shaper into a respectable SET. Common in German shops but never seen one here.

1B55DE57-BB2F-4D39-B56E-CA67E7850C39.jpg

Wow joe that machine is slick if nothing else..

How did this happaen to me. How does one become enamered with high end and vintage wood working machinery and tools.

Seems a few of us share the same affliction..

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    Those pot belly Bauerle shapers are sweet. At Fenster Bau one company has one set up with a sanding drum. Very smooth running!

this Bauerle would be nice to find. Pretty rare in the US though. Most of the Euro makers offered a saw on the shapers with side mount tables in the 70s and 80s. Martin had one with the Festo LAS fence.
    E447A52C-12A8-4B7D-9C7D-A64DF3FF5369.jpg